Buy a new rifle or upgrade and existing one?

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
I have kicked this around in my head for the past couple weeks and I know I am way over thinking it so I’m looking for some help. I am looking for a “lightish” at or under 8lbs good handling do all big game gun. I live on the east coast and deer hunt where most shots are within 100 yards but a 3-400 yard shot is possible. Mainly with a .270. I whitetail hunt the Kansas prairie where shots can be 500+ but my last 3 deer were within 300, this has been with the .300wm. My elk hunting has been archery but I want to have a rifle for elk when the time comes. I currently have:

Browning A bolt 300 mag with 26” barrel and leupold M4 6.5-20x 50. It’s a great gun but long and heavy. 9lb 4oz

A Winchester M70 light weight .270 it’s blued and wood stock with a VX3 3.5-10x 50
Is a little over 8 pounds and feels good but I have a mental block about hard hunting with it because it’s blued and wood.

A Howa 1500 .270 with a VX3 3.5-10x50 .270. It’s fairly heavy for its size at 9lb 4oz

All rifles are stock.

I am perfectly fine staying with one of those two cartridges and think both will serve my needs. I have ammo and reloading supplies for both. My dilemma is do I optimize one of the guns I already have with lighter stocks or possibly cut down the barrel on the 300wm. Or Ive really been eyeing a Tikka T3x superlight .270. It will cost me about $850 out the door. So am I better off putting $850 into an existing gun or buy another “stock”gun. My gun budget is roughly $1000. Either way I’m looking to upgrade scopes to either a VX5 or Zeiss V4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are otherwise happy with the Winchester M70, I would restock it to something lighter and call it done.

Lots of good choices out there. I have two Remington 700s at the gunsmith right now for AG Composite stocks.

BjornF16

WKR
Concur with Keystone…then spend your money on reliable glass

Or, if you really want a new rifle, pick up a .223 with 8” twist as a practice gun

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
if one of the options is "get a new rifle", are there any other options???
Just sayin', I don't believe you can have too many, right?

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, If I restock the m70 I will most likely cerakote it also. Part of me just hates to turn the only “pretty” rifle I own and dull it.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrade the howa. IMO everyone needs at least one “pretty” rifle with a wood stock

What are you wanting to accomplish with the upgrade or new rifle?

Sounds like the Winchester you want to leave. Browning a don’t have a lot of aftermarket support. The Howa restock wouldn’t make it any lighter than what you already have.

The Tikka Superlite will end up around the weight of the other rifles once you put the scope your looking at on it. So I don’t see getting one in a 270 as accomplishing anything. I also wouldn’t consider a factory 270 as an elk rifle. Sure it will work, just like your Winchester.

So do you just want a new rifle or do you have a goal in mind?

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thank guys, honestly this time of year I get a little cabin fever and look for something to upgrade. I’ve been over all happy with what I have just looking to upgrade. To sum it up I’m looking for a sub 8lb rifle under $1k that does it all. Not to much to ask right? I could be talked into a different cartridge but I figured with a 300wm and 270 why add another one to the stable. I have boys that like to hunt so throwing another gun in the safe doesn’t scare me.

jimh406

WKR
I wouldn't change the M70 stock or cerakote it. There are a lot of guns that are lighter, but also consider your scope weight and consider going with one piece ring/bases in aluminum like the Leupold Backcountry.

I went back and forth on putting a new stock on my Savage 270 or not. I decided to add a new caliber and get the Savage Ultralight with the Proof Research barrel in Camo and 300 WSM. I'm upgrading my go to rifle a Model 70 300 Weatherby with McMillan stock and older Leupold with a 5HD in 3-15. I might update the stock on my Savage 270 later. The 5HD is about 6 ops heavier than other choices, so I may end up with another scope for the Ultralight.

Originally, I really only wanted to update my scopes since my eyes aren't as good as they were decades ago, but decided to go a bit farther.

Have fun deciding.

Unless you’re just in the mood to spend money on something I see no reason not to hunt the heck out of the m70 since it’s not that heavy and you like it. If it shoots good and feels right, I don’t know why it being blued and wood matters. I’d be way happier taking a reliable rifle I already like l into the woods instead of jumping on the has to be ultralight, tactical looking, so on and so forth wagon just because. Spend the extra money on shooting it and getting real confident with it at different yardages etc and that’s money better spent in my opinion.

OP
C

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I’m going to meet with a gunsmith today to discuss my options. I’ll let you know where it goes.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck!

I'd hunt the M70 as is and not worry about it. It may get some character along the way, but each imperfection will have a story.

Take the money you want to spend and focus on reloading, shooting and improving your skill with the one rifle. When you know your dope by heart and can reliably hit way out there - you can hunt and kill it all.

...or take that money and buy a nice hunt you would never do otherwise. Go see the Bob or the Teton wilderness. Alaskan bear or blacktail. You get the idea.

35remy

FNG
I have had the same debate going on for some time. Ultimately, I find it more rewarding to upgrade an existing gun because I can keep the nostalgia of all the game it has taken. On the other hand, having another rifle means I can have a dedicated purpose built setup for one thing separate from my usual needs.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
This exact conundrum haunts me continually. I eventually cave to my desires, powerless to them all, and upgrade an existing gun AND buy a new one…