Buy Once Cry Once Reloading Equipment

gtriple

WKR
I'm about to get into reloading and would like some help figuring out what equipment to buy. I am a strict believer in Buy Once Cry Once and I hate wasting time thinking about upgrading.

Application:
I'll mainly be reloading for hunting rifles, but wouldn't mine churning out a few hundred rounds of 223 or 308. I don't shoot matches yet but plan to next year.

jhm2023

WKR
Looking back, I wish I would have just purchased all of the items separately instead of a kit. That way I could have actually gotten what I wanted from the start instead of spending money again upgrading things here and there. At the same time, I'm not entirely certain I knew what I wanted / needed when I first started. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just started with a T-7 turret press and RCBS chargemaster from the get go.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Looking back, I wish I would have just purchased all of the items separately instead of a kit. That way I could have actually gotten what I wanted from the start instead of spending money again upgrading things here and there. At the same time, I'm not entirely certain I knew what I wanted / needed when I first started. If I knew then what I know now, I would have just started with a T-7 turret press and RCBS chargemaster from the get go.
That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.
absolutely get an automatic powder dispenser.
Recommendations?

The rcbs supreme kit is pretty nice. I’m personally not a fan of the automatic dispensers unless you get the v4 and fx120 combo. Certainly not needed. I had a chargemaster and thought I’d won the lottery. When I got my money back, I knew I’d won the lottery. I started out with a Lee challenger kit and while it produced great ammo, I slowly found deals and upgraded, and got my money back on the Lee. Your biggest struggle at this point is gonna be finding the appropriate powder and primers and not paying 3x what they should be.

1. A good turret press has been awesome for me. I have the Lyman but the Redding is probably a little better. The area 419 is definitely the best but $1k more than my Lyman. Someday I’ll upgrade but not today.

2. I started with lee and Hornady dies but now use Redding type s dies and micrometer seaters for everything I care about. They really have made a big difference in consistency for me. Wilson and several others are also good quality.

3. Automatic powder dispensers are a love hate relationship but worth it in the end. I have two chargemaster supremes and would love to add a 3rd here soon.

4. Lapua or adg brass are worth it if they make it for what you shoot. When I started reloading I thought Hornady was good stuff and I later came to the realization it’s complete trash imo.

5. Good barrels on my guns made a huge difference in my reloading and just save components since it’s way easier to find a good load.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
The rcbs supreme kit is pretty nice. I’m personally not a fan of the automatic dispensers unless you get the v4 and fx120 combo. Certainly not needed. I had a chargemaster and thought I’d won the lottery. When I got my money back, I knew I’d won the lottery. I started out with a Lee challenger kit and while it produced great ammo, I slowly found deals and upgraded, and got my money back on the Lee. Your biggest struggle at this point is gonna be finding the appropriate powder and primers and not paying 3x what they should be.
My main hunting rifle is a 6.5 WBY RPM, so even the inflated component prices are cheaper than buying factory ammo. It's crazy expensive.

jhm2023

WKR
Also, invest in neck mandrel dies and remove you decapping assemblies from your sizing dies. Decap using a universal decapper, size, and then use the appropriately sized neck expander mandrel. My SDs are always single digits doing it this way, even on the big magnum cartridges.

Rich M

WKR
I would not feel “off” if all i had was Lee stuff. Its what i buy these days and see no diff from the pricey stuff but i only shoot out to 300 yards.

Lawnboi

WKR
How much do you want to spend. I can make you a list that would exceed 20K.

There are a number of tools that cost more but make life a lot easier, for a volume shooter. You can make a few rounds here and there with about anything but if your going to compete your going to move along from a lot of the lower end stuff quickly, as it’s just slows.

id_jon

WKR
About the only thing I really wish I had is a turret press, definitely one in my future. Chargemaster is nice, I use that for stick powders on loads I really want to be precise. Though lately I've really been enjoying using Staball 65 with a RCBS Uniflow. Can crank out rounds that are within .1-.2

jhm2023

WKR
Without it being progressive, why the turret over the regular single stage press?
Perform multiple functions on the same piece of brass while only handling that piece of brass once, i.e. decap, size, neck expand or seat then crimp. Also I can have multiple cartridges worth of dies setup at one time on the same turret. Considerably more efficient way to work vs placing and removing the brass for every desired step and setting up dies between every step.