Buy once cry once shotgun for water fowl

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Hello,

I’m a fair weather bird hunter but I’m trying to get into it more and more. In the past I didn’t go much because I didn’t really know anybody who was into it. My bird hunting season consisted of a goose or 2 and ducks when I happened to catch them while jet boating on creeks.

I’ve since met a few guys who are all in, they have invited me on a few trips with them this next year to some real legit places for Brandt’s, geese, sea ducks etc.

My current shotgun is a beat up old Remington rust bucket, it works but I want to invest in a nice semi auto, I’m going to have to order due to where I live so I can’t really go and try a bunch. I’m looking for something I’m going to be happy with for years to come, price isn’t an issue but I’d like to stay under 2k.

What would you buy for a one and done waterfowl gun? I’m thinking a benelli super black eagle or maybe some version of the A5.

What would you get?

Thanks!!!

KurtR

WKR
Yep the benelli will be the way to go one thing to remember the Remington always goes bang . I have a wing master my dad bought the year I was born in 1979 won a bunch of trap shoots and it has killed a lot of birds. I am buying a new shotgun this Christmas but the old wing master will always have a spot in the safe. I’m going franchi affinity because it feels the best out of all of the guns I shouldered

I’ve shot a Benelli super nova for 15+ years. Great for river or field hunting. Great for ducks or geese. Everyone I hunt with shoots some kind of Beretta or Benelli semi auto, but that super nova pump action keeps up and hasn’t jammed yet. Great all around weapon that doesn’t need pampered. Plus, you can invest the remainder of your budget and fill a trailer with quality decoys.

Shot Beretta 391 extreme for 10 yrs...got the A400 1st year they came out...I use the a400, my oldest boy uses the 391....I have used my Beretta for just about everything including a boat paddle...they have both been completely submerged in saltwater multiple times...dump a bottle of fresh water on them to get the grit out of the action and they work just fine...I do disassemble and spray off with hose after the hunt. If only for waterfowl make sure you get a 28" for whatever you get...YMMV

T28w

WKR
Benelli or browning.

Surprised that the verse max got mentioned as I have been in quiet a few pits and have yet to see one. I picked one up when they first came out and did not like it. Never shot one either so not downing it.

hartigjosh

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a lot of ducks and in some harsh conditions with fresh, salt, and brackish water
I have owned most of the majors and my current fleet is 2 m2's and one SBE2

If I wanted the most indestructible gun I would get the beretta a400 and make sure its treated or preferably cerakoted.

If I wanted the best shooting gun I would get the benelli m2 and again get a cerakote edition for durability

I like my guns light and shorter (26 preferred over 28 inch barrel especially with the after market chokes adding length)

If you hunt hard just make sure to clean and or disassemble your gun every time before you put it away after a hunt. I made it a habit to at least disassemble and let the parts dry after every hunt and in between days hunted.

If you are looking at guns and worried about 3inch vs 3.5inch DONT
If you cant shoot it with a 3 inch should you really be shooting the bird? Waterfowling is not a long range sport, it is all about your setup and calling and positioning to make the bird think you are other birds... get em in close and don't educate them before they migrate to me please!

Squirrels

WKR
I've hunted fowl for 30 years. My advice on a bang stick is to get an inertia driven gun. AVOID A GAS DRIVEN GUN LIKE THE PLAUGE. I'd suggest a A5 or a Benelli. Look into the Retays as wellI, have no experience with one but want to pick one up to try. Ever gas gun I've owned jammed and caused me to cuss a lot, no matter how clean or what ammo. My inertia guns go boom....every time.