Buy once cry once shotgun for water fowl

What's the difference between the M2 and the Montefeltro?

I for one like the Affinity as well and think it looks prettier than the Montefeltro but the name Benelli keeps calling to me.
M2 poly stock

montefeltro wood stock

otherwise they are the same gun

I've been through most all of the "latest and greatest" waterfowl guns. I've owned Benelli M2' H&K SBE,SBE2,and SBE3, Beretta A400 Extreme Plus, and the new A5 from Browning. All were good guns but I always ended up going back to my original Browning Mag Twelve Stalker Auto 5. The only one of those listed that I'd put on par with it as being reliable and built anywhere close to as well is the original H&K SBE. I definitely wouldn't worry about getting a 3.5" gun. Any duck you can kill with a 3.5" will die just the same with a 3" even more so with todays heavier than lead offerings
3b7b6358bea6d15092d11a72bb12ae9b.jpg

NV HUNTER

WKR
I will play!! Lol

I have a beretta and a Remington, but I grab my browning gold 10 more and more.

ETtikka

WKR
I suggest benelli for same reasons as mentioned plus the inertia action just stays much cleaner than most guns. Sbe3 for better coatings otherwise m2 or franchi depending on 3” or 3.5” needs.

Rieckman

Lil-Rokslider
As long as you get it to fit you any of the higher end models will be great. Get one with a durable duracoat.

I have had Benelli M1, Browning Maxus, and a Winchester SX4, I grab the maxus most of the time it's enjoyable to shoot with duck loads. Hell the SX4 is still NIB, even though it has enlarged controls and is 3.5".

ianpadron

WKR
I hunt ducks a lot. Have several very nice shotguns I rotate for various uses.

BUT if I needed a one-gun duck and goose solution, I'd pick a 20 gauge Benelli M2 with a 26" pipe, and run one of the modern Bismuth/Tungsten loads through it. Easier to maneuver in tight blinds, layouts, boats, etc, lighter to carry in, shoulders like nothing else. Anyone who says you need a 12 gauge to kill ducks/geese on an industrial scale simply doesn't know wtf they are talking about.

Oh and SBE3s are overrated, no need for a 3.5" shell. Flame on...

Squirrels

WKR
I hunt ducks a lot. Have several very nice shotguns I rotate for various uses.

BUT if I needed a one-gun duck and goose solution, I'd pick a 20 gauge Benelli M2 with a 26" pipe, and run one of the modern Bismuth/Tungsten loads through it. Easier to maneuver in tight blinds, layouts, boats, etc, lighter to carry in, shoulders like nothing else. Anyone who says you need a 12 gauge to kill ducks/geese on an industrial scale simply doesn't know wtf they are talking about.

Oh and SBE3s are overrated, no need for a 3.5" shell. Flame on...
I’ve been wanting a 20 m2 for a long while, just have not pulled the trigger. 3.5” for fowl is the most useless thing ever invented. Follow up shots are less smooth and manageable due to the added recoil.

Tex68w

WKR
M2 poly stock

montefeltro wood stock

otherwise they are the same gun

They do offer a synthetic camo Montefeltro as well. Other than the different end cap and the Comfortech stock they are pretty much the same. My LGS has one new for $950 that has been sitting there for a while.

I like my Beretta A400 Extreme Plus with the kick-off system...12 ga....28" barrel for sporting clays and skeet. It handles 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce target loads, and any and all hunting loads up to 3-1/2" on the market. It won't work the action with my very light 7/8 ounce reloads that are less than a normal 20 ga in speed, but that is fine. I like gas autos for the recoil reduction and the Beretta A400 is great in that regard, and even better with the Kick-off shock absorber/spring system in the butt stock on top of the gas operating system and 12" long forcing cone.

I have an 18 yr old Beretta 391 wood stocked Sporting Clays model...12 ga...30" barrel, that is going strong. It never jams, I clean it every 1000 rounds or so. Its got a 3" chamber. Great gun with no issues ever! It is 12 ounces lighter than the A400 Extreme Plus despite having a longer barrel and handles a bit quicker.

I enjoy shooting both Beretta autos very much, although neither are upland guns. I use a SxS 16 ga or 20 ga when I hunt upland game. Either of the Beretta autos would make good duck and goose guns with the nod going to the A400 Extreme Plus, especially for a more durable finish.

TheGDog

WKR
The only thing of note I'd mention is that I bought a used SuperNova... and with the angular trigger guard it has on it... if you're not concentrating on holding the weapon tight to your shoulder, such as when shooting at funky angles or when skybusting them right above your head, that trigger guard... after a box of 3.5" shells will be seriously punishing. So the only contribution to the convo I'd say is lean towards a more rounded trigger guard shape.

This pic was the day after my first ever duck hunt. The trigger guard on the SuperNova beat the crap outta my middle finger.

Again, technique can avoid this... bet just smarter overall to acquire a weapon where this isn't even a thing to begin with.

Attachments

• 81130924_170717800687999_4561832597855928320_o.jpg
    81130924_170717800687999_4561832597855928320_o.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 46

ac7473

FNG
Another vote for a 20g M2. I have had a 12g M2 for several years without an issue. Next gun I buy will be the 20g M2

2ski

WKR
They do offer a synthetic camo Montefeltro as well. Other than the different end cap and the Comfortech stock they are pretty much the same. My LGS has one new for $950 that has been sitting there for a while.
Man I would love a synthetic camo one. All I see in the motefeltro in the bozeman area is black synthetic.

Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus but you can't go wrong with any of these guns though. We have a Maxus, SBE3, and my A400 in the blind. We all love each other's guns but have grown accustomed to what each of us shoots.

Drivers on the A400 for me were the oversized charge bolt and the larger release when I wear some big gloves (it helps), I like gas-operated for less perceived recoil (BOSS 2-3/4” MAG 1-1/4 oz. #5 are a dream), and enjoy the tacky grips on it.

Cleaning should not come into play in your decision, they all keep moving through the worst. Pickup what fits you best and go shoot.

ESmith_10

FNG
Another vote for a Browning A5. I'm ashamed to say this, but the damn thing has made me lazy when it comes to cleaning it. It just keeps on shooting no matter what.

archp625

WKR
Ill chime in on this one. If you truly want a waterfowl gun that will flat out just work be a inertia gun. Skip out on the gas guns. Gas guns quit working when they get dirty and or super cold. I dont know how many times I have been on a hunt and the guy with the gas Beretta is taking it apart on the river bank trying to get it to cycle shells. At the same time I have seen some many Benelli's fall in the water and keep on ticking. As someone else mentions any of the three SBE's would be my choice.

i am sure everyone has seen all gun models have issues. just shoulder a bunch and see which one fits you the best. they are all prone to different issues just like trucks.

for the record i have shot my a400 in -15 degree weather for the past 4 years for sporting clay leagues and have not had any problems with it. Not saying it might have a problem one day but so far i have not had any issues with my gas gun in the cold. I clean it every other shoot while shoot leagues and run it dry. Waterfowl loads are much dirtier then trap loads so it gets a clean down after duck hunting especially after sea duck hunting.