Buy once cry once

Jmort1754

WKR
After researching on here I have decided to go the buy once cry once if possible way.

Seasons are 3rd rifle Colorado
Moose and bou by bush plane in AK

Plus every year north east late muzzleloader

I’m 6,4-5 285 however going down.

I’m assuming a bag between -10 through 10 is something I should look at.

WM Kodiak
WM antelope
FF snow bunting.

Any one of those better than the other ?

Good pad obviously.

sneaky

"DADDY"
WM Sequoia has more room, you can get it from Hermits Hut with free overfill I believe. It's a 5 degree bag. I have a Kodiak and like it, but I'm 6'3" 200.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

skierhs

WKR
I have the antelope and love it. It is a tighter cut though. It’s designed to be very efficient holding warmth in and I can vouch for that. I prefer a 0 degree and from WM that’s the actual rating. Doing alaska though I’m hesitant suggesting a down bag. With how wet and remote Alaska is, I would look at a synthetic bag so even if you get wet you will stay dry. That being said I use a down bag in the PNW but I am extra careful with my beg when it’s soaking wet out.

duchntr

WKR
I have a FF Snowbunting, I am happy with it but id say it would probably be tight for you. My brother is your size and had a snow bunting, was too tight, then he picked up an WM kodiak and said he is much happier with the fit. A 0 to 10 deg would be a good range for an all around bag IMO.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You can get the Gore Windstopper shell on the WM bags. Several guys on here use them in Alaska with no issues.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking long and hard at the Sequoia, but ended up finding a super good deal on the Nemo Sonic 0. If I was going WM and was a side sleeper or needed some extra space from the mummy style, I'd definitely go Sequoia.

But the Gore Windstopper won’t help with water, right?

Wrong. It does help, but keep in mind it's not waterproof. I've had mine for several years and it repels water today just like when new. I can't speak to the technical differences in fabrics and how they are utilized, but I can tell you my WM Sequoia GWS is very good at staying dry in wet environments like Alaska.

The windstopper shell has a higher hydrostatic head rating (12,000) than nearly all tent makers rain flys. If water gets in it is through stitch holes, seems, or needs significant pressure against the shell to be forced through.

-Antelope would be my choice for an average to trim sized individual who is weight conscious.
-Kodiak makes sense for girthier folks or people who want more room to move around inside their bag or don't care about saving 6 ounces with the Antelope
-Sequoia if you really want extra space or are claustrophobic in mummy bags and are ok with adding 8 ounces to the Kodiak or 14 ounces to the Antelope

FF options the Raven 10 YF or Ibis EX 0 seem to be the options that would fit the bill.

I was really impressed with the Stone Glacier Chilkoot bags after fondling them. They are pretty roomy in the chest but a little more constricted in the bottom half of your bag if that is something that worries you.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The windstopper shell has a higher hydrostatic head rating (12,000) than nearly all tent makers rain flys. If water gets in it is through stitch holes, seems, or needs significant pressure against the shell to be forced through.

-Antelope would be my choice for an average to trim sized individual who is weight conscious.
-Kodiak makes sense for girthier folks or people who want more room to move around inside their bag or don't care about saving 6 ounces with the Antelope
-Sequoia if you really want extra space or are claustrophobic in mummy bags and are ok with adding 8 ounces to the Kodiak or 14 ounces to the Antelope

FF options the Raven 10 YF or Ibis EX 0 seem to be the options that would fit the bill.

I was really impressed with the Stone Glacier Chilkoot bags after fondling them. They are pretty roomy in the chest but a little more constricted in the bottom half of your bag if that is something that worries you.
He's 6'4.5" 285...I don't think he'll like the antelope lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I really like the western mountaineering badger MF I recently got, I’m tall like the OP at 6’4 but I’m closer to 210 lbs so I’m not sure if that bag would work for him.

I owned the sequoia and kodiak.
Sequoia is much more roomy especially from the waist down.
I feel the kodiak was warmer but I think the slimmer cut makes it feel warmer.
Both are very well built. If I needed a true zero degree bag it would be the sequoia with overfill from hermits hut.
I only truck camp so both were way overkill for my needs.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The free overfill is cool and all but then you have to choose a different bag to match your needs.

I knew 100% I wanted a 15 degree bag so when I got my badger MF I passed on the over fill. Warmer bags are only better if you want a warmer bag. If I wanted a 5 or a 0 I’d look at a different model. That’s just my opinion but 15 degree in my opinion is the Glock 19 or 30-06 of bags, it’s good for 95% or what I do. A 0 degree would be far too warm for me and I live in AK.

By the time it’s sub zero at night, I’m day hunting from snow machines not camping for a week in the back country.

TexasCub

WKR
OP you are a big guy, I wouldn’t get anything but the Sequoia,Kodiak or Badger or you will be miserable. And skip the Gore, it’s not needed, microfiber will be fine.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
That was my next question. Is the gore needed? especially if were are in a tent.