Buy or “build” a new mountain rifle?

Jakeini

FNG
I wanted all your opinions on buying new vs building up an existing rifle for mountain hunting.
What I had my eye on is a Christensen Mesa in 7mm Rem, But then I remembered I have a Remington 700 BDL in real nice shape that I haven’t done much with.
Would I be better off putting that money into an existing rifle or buying a brand spickety new one, with accuracy guarantees, customer service and warranties?
Im not prepared to go $3000+ into a custom rifle build, id be limited around the $1300 (already have a scope.) range.
I’m not sure if I can build a comparable rifle for that price, (barrel, brake, trigger, stock, smithing)

thoughts?
Thank you,
Jake

Rob5589

WKR
If the 700 can shoot, stick with it. Maybe a new trigger, although the older models can be worked to be very nice, a stock swap, reloading comps, and blast away.

Apollo117

WKR
I recently researched building a M700 myself. You can build a M700 for about $1800 including parts and tools. However, $1800 is over the cost of a CA Mesa. The only thing you'll gain from building it yourself is a custom caliber or barrel profile that CA doesn't offer for the Mesa.

Here's a rough parts/tools list with prices:

Trued Remington 700 – Long Action – .532 Magnum Bolt Face – Stainless: $495.00

Remage Light Varmint Contour 26" length, stainless steel threaded with muzzle brake installed - $475.

Manson Reamer Go Gauge -$35

Manson Reamer No-Go Gauge -$35

NSS Taper Loc Recoil Lug System - $25

Wheeler Action Wrench -$70

NSS Precision Barrel Nuts - $28

NSS Precision Ground Recoil Lugs - $27

Farrell Industries Barrel Vice -$221 plus shipping.

Bell & Carlson Alaskan - $300

Trigger Tech Primary -$150

Total Price: ~$1850

Obviously you can save money waiting for sales. You could save at least $200 by not using a trued action and foregoing a muzzle break.

I'm sure someone could build a M700 for less than what I have listed.

I bought a 700 for 60$

Turned the trigger down

Popped it in an ag composites stock for 250$

And It bug holes 105 at 2950fps

Rebore It and you’ll end up with a Cut rifled barrel with a fast twist and carbon stock that bug holes for 535$

Crazy thing is a guy could buy a tikka for cheaper and probably get more.

eamyrick

WKR
I had a competent gunsmith build a custom 280 off a g series Remington 30-06 action. It will set you back about $2500 but will be more consistent that any factory gun and will spec’d exactly how you want. I knew that after I picked it up if it didn’t shoot exactly how I wanted it would be immediately resolved by my smith instead of a 3-6 month wait from some big manufacturer. You can also get components on special and may save some money now. I went with:

24 inch #3 Bartlein barrel
Trigger tech trigger
G series Remington action trued
AG composites sportsman stock (the give gunsmiths 25% off)
Sniper Gray Ceracote
Rifle is a laser with 150g Eld-x and weighs 6.8lbs.

Rob5589

WKR
I recently researched building a M700 myself. You can build a M700 for about $1800 including parts and tools. However, $1800 is over the cost of a CA Mesa. The only thing you'll gain from building it yourself is a custom caliber or barrel profile that CA doesn't offer for the Mesa.

Here's a rough parts/tools list with prices:

Trued Remington 700 – Long Action – .532 Magnum Bolt Face – Stainless: $495.00

Remage Light Varmint Contour 26" length, stainless steel threaded with muzzle brake installed - $475.

Manson Reamer Go Gauge -$35

Manson Reamer No-Go Gauge -$35

NSS Taper Loc Recoil Lug System - $25

Wheeler Action Wrench -$70

NSS Precision Barrel Nuts - $28

NSS Precision Ground Recoil Lugs - $27

Farrell Industries Barrel Vice -$221 plus shipping.

Bell & Carlson Alaskan - $300

Trigger Tech Primary -$150

Total Price: ~$1850

Obviously you can save money waiting for sales. You could save at least $200 by not using a trued action and foregoing a muzzle break.

I'm sure someone could build a M700 for less than what I have listed.
He already has a 700 in 7RM.