Buy or rent Satellite communication??

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an Eastern boy who makes one trip a year to the west. I like the idea of having a sat tracker with me for communicating and, God forbid, if something were to happen.

Million dollar(or I guess 300ish dollar) question. Do I buy one for such infrequent use, or just rent one? Is the one I buy going to go bad sitting on a self before it proves cost effective over renting? Thanks fellas

What is the cost to rent?

Cost to own is the device itself, which is $300-450 for an inReach. Then I think it is $50 per year activation fee and like $15/month for an active service. So, it’s about $65 per year just to turn it on for a 10 day hunt. Let’s say after 5 years, it is outdated or the battery isn’t the best anymore so that is $60 additional per year.

So, I’d say if you can rent one for $100 or less for your trip, it probably makes sense to rent and not own.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
If you must have a phone and not an inreach type device I'd rent.
I guess I wasn’t super clear.. good point. I’m looking to either buy or rent something like Inreach. Actually looking at the bivy stick but same general idea. I don’t need an actual sat phone. I’ll have my cell to use OnX. Basically just wantt to be able to keep in touch with my wife

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
What is the cost to rent?

Cost to own is the device itself, which is $300-450 for an inReach. Then I think it is $50 per year activation fee and like $15/month for an active service. So, it’s about $65 per year just to turn it on for a 10 day hunt. Let’s say after 5 years, it is outdated or the battery isn’t the best anymore so that is $60 additional per year.

So, I’d say if you can rent one for $100 or less for your trip, it probably makes sense to rent and not own.
Yeah so the one I’m looking at is bivy stick. It’s 250. You have to activate it for 4 months up front but after that 0 fees and just activate/deactivate as needed. But yeah like you’re saying, rent is probably still smarter due to out dating of electronics so quickly now a days

IdahoElk

WKR
I guess I wasn’t super clear.. good point. I’m looking to either buy or rent something like Inreach. Actually looking at the bivy stick but same general idea. I don’t need an actual sat phone. I’ll have my cell to use OnX. Basically just wantt to be able to keep in touch with my wife
I've used both starting with a Sat phone and have used an InReach since they came out and wouldn't go back to a Sat phone for my hunting trips, Love my mini InReach for keeping in touch with my wife.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
Out of curiosity, where do you rent them from? And how much do they typically charge?
There’s a bunch of websites. It varies by brand. You can rent Zoleo, inreach, bivy stick, or even actual sat phones with call ability. They vary from like 50 bucks a week way up into the hundreds.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I've used both starting with a Sat phone and have used an InReach since they came out and wouldn't go back to a Sat phone for my hunting trips, Love my mini InReach for keeping in touch with my wife.
How often do you use it? Worth owning or renting?

ODB

WKR

Yup. I have an old SE version and it still works awesome. I use the cheapest plan and made dual preset messages like good morning/goodnight - just arrived/just leaving. That way, based on context I can message easier.

Also, with a full size inReach it learns words so typing a custom message with the cursor can be surprisingly fast and not reliant on the cellphone.

I keep my service all year because thankfully there are still a shitload of places in Idaho where there is no cell service.

Wvroach

WKR
I use a inreach. I like being able to check in on the family each night and if something were to happen they can get in contact with me. Using it 3 or more occasions each year it's worth it to own it for me.

Once a year I don't think I'd buy one though.

mlgc20

WKR
I couple an InReach mini with my Android phone. I would recommend buying. Even for infrequent use. I like to update and test my InReach before every trip. I would worry if I rented one and something went wrong. Then I might have a hard time getting a working unit before my trip. Even with the total cost of ownership for these units, I think it's overall cheap insurance.

hunterjmj

WKR
I have the inReach and keep it in service all year. Lots of Montana has no service so it stays in the pickup for us or if we come across someone in an emergency. I hope we never have to use the sos but its nice to know it's available. It's great to stay in touch with the wife and kids when I'm hunting or out and about. I think its $12/month on the yearly plan.

kpk

WKR
I rented an InReach Mini last season from oerentals.com

I think it was right around $100 for roughly 10 days. I made a couple "default" messages and they did all the programming for me. If I bought one - it'd get used "maybe" 1 trip a year. I have good phone service everywhere locally. For the most part I've had decent or at least couple times a day service out west. We were in a grizzly area with NO service last season, so felt an InReach was almost a necessity.

I considered buying one last year but couldn't really justify it for how often I'd use it, and how quickly it will likely be outdated. If you're in areas with zero service or animals that may maul you frequently that changes things.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I rented an InReach Mini last season from oerentals.com

I think it was right around $100 for roughly 10 days. I made a couple "default" messages and they did all the programming for me. If I bought one - it'd get used "maybe" 1 trip a year. I have good phone service everywhere locally. For the most part I've had decent or at least couple times a day service out west. We were in a grizzly area with NO service last season, so felt an InReach was almost a necessity.

I considered buying one last year but couldn't really justify it for how often I'd use it, and how quickly it will likely be outdated. If you're in areas with zero service or animals that may maul you frequently that changes things.
This sounds a lot like my situation. It’s just hard to decide if it’s justifiable for such little use.

CorbLand

WKR
This is what I have. The old blocky one. Works perfecto.

View attachment 423793
I have the same one and bought it in 2015 or 2016. It still holds battery and works just as good as the day I bought it. I set it up on the basic plan and havent changed it. 150 bucks a year is pretty cheap insurance in my opinion.

OP, its a tough call on buy or rent but I would buy one. I use it for a lot more than just hunting. I take it fishing, hiking, driving, pretty much anything.

The thing with devices like these is that you dont ever want to actually get your moneys worth out of it.