Buyer Beware - Liberty Safes

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Just an FYI ... On the afternoon of September 1st I went to my safe and attempted to open it so I could go to an opening day dove hunt. The electronic lock engaged, but when I spun the handle the door would not open. I tried several more times and then had to make a phone call to borrow a gun. Awesome. That evening I called into Liberty's customer service. They had me try some very stupid things, like using a Duracell battery instead of the brand new Energizer I pulled from the package and placed in the lock. Despite me telling them that I heard something in the door fail they were convinced it was the electronic lock.

Fast forward 3 weeks, 2 days off work, 4 lock smith trips and 13 hours of his and mine time wasted on this POS and despite drilling out the lock and the relocker the door is not opened. We are playing a waiting game waiting for Liberty to get something figured out. Meanwhile I have all of my long guns trapped in a safe I'm hesitant to pry the door off of until I have a replacement. The Liberty CS has been very slow with communication.

Looks like this weekend I'm going to go buy a different brand safe despite the fact that they might replace this one with a new safe. I have no faith in their product at this point. I guess it was a good thing it was just dove season, then teal season and not a home invasion.

:mad:

I have three Liberty safes with keypads. Two get opened almost every day, and have been working for 14 years. Hope you get it worked out, but sounds like an anomaly.

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Fort Knox with a manual lock. Expensive but well worth the extra money.

Since I can't afford a Graffunder I'm going with an AmSec BF HD.

I just wish I lived in or near Utah so I could dump the POS Liberty on the curb in front of their office after I pry the door off of it.

What brand is the electronic lock?? Is it a Sargent & Greenleaf ? I had a similar problem with my Browning Pro Steel, but finally got it open. It was the keypad- one of the #'s wouldn't register when pressed. I talked to Browning CS, and I ended up purchasing a new keypad and lock upgrade kit ($160.00). The safe is 10 years old, so not a warranty thing. I finally got it opened after quite a few tries.
All is well now, and I still prefer the keypad over the dial (had three other safes with the dial, and the aging eyes made it difficult to see the marks on the dial).
A local locksmith said he could have got into the safe with a "sawsall" (sp?), but the safe would have been useless after that. At least I would have been able to get my guns out.
Good luck, hope you can remedy your problem.

ofl0926

WKR
I would go with a Fort Knox as well. Excellent customer service and they build the safe to your standards. Also I just received a maverick series safe from. That safe compared to liberty was knight and day difference. The door is solid and doesn't sound hollow. If your a member on ar15.com, PM me on here for some extra info on ft Knox safes and how to get a discount on them

One of each here. Browning with a manual. No problems. An executive vault with cannon electric. No problems. Murphys law says when you really need to get in one it will take a dump on you.

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Update ... Liberty is doing everything in their power to make this right. They are standing by their lifetime warranty and are getting a new safe delivered to my home. The hard part is finding one within a reasonable distance that can be delivered. A local shop, supposedly Liberty's largest dealer in the MidWest and 4 miles from my home, has the exact replacement model in stock but is unwilling to relinquish it for a warranty claim because I they would rather make $100 of it by selling it retail. Those assholes lost my business for life.

Now, Liberty seems to have found an upgraded model 90 miles away and are working on delivery.

Roy68

WKR
I would throw that "Local Shop" under the bus. They should be standing behind the product they sell within the parameters of their agreement with the manufacture, Liberty in this case and the Lifetime Warranty. I would assume that Liberty would simply replace their safe that they have in stock as part of the warranty process. The fact that they refuse to represent the manufacturer would be grounds to terminate the distributor/retailer contract with them and Liberty should do so. I also would have no problems telling the Local Shop that I had in fact thrown them under the bus.

Good Luck. I have a Liberty Lincoln Series with E-lock and have had no issues.

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
I would throw that "Local Shop" under the bus. They should be standing behind the product they sell within the parameters of their agreement with the manufacture, Liberty in this case and the Lifetime Warranty. I would assume that Liberty would simply replace their safe that they have in stock as part of the warranty process. The fact that they refuse to represent the manufacturer would be grounds to terminate the distributor/retailer contract with them and Liberty should do so. I also would have no problems telling the Local Shop that I had in fact thrown them under the bus.

Good Luck. I have a Liberty Lincoln Series with E-lock and have had no issues.

Oh, I have. I will comment more on this, but only after all of this is settled.

Bourbon,
My original question might have gotten lost in my reply, but what brand is the electronic lock on your safe?? Just wondering if it is the same S&G as the one on my Browning??

OP
bourbon

bourbon

Lil-Rokslider
Bourbon,
My original question might have gotten lost in my reply, but what brand is the electronic lock on your safe?? Just wondering if it is the same S&G as the one on my Browning??
It was a Laguard. This is the brand that Liberty used to use but they have switched to S&G. The safe was 14 years old but it was NOT the e-lock that failed. It was actually the bolt mechanism.

However, with all the time Ive spent with the locksmith recently I've learned a lot about brands, etc. He said he sees the S&G e-lock failures a lot. There is a special tool that he carries for them. It is a booster pack that can sometimes give enough of a jolt to force the solenoid to fire.

Finch

WKR
Glad you're getting this worked out and makes me glad I have the manual lock!

It was a Laguard. This is the brand that Liberty used to use but they have switched to S&G. The safe was 14 years old but it was NOT the e-lock that failed. It was actually the bolt mechanism.

However, with all the time Ive spent with the locksmith recently I've learned a lot about brands, etc. He said he sees the S&G e-lock failures a lot. There is a special tool that he carries for them. It is a booster pack that can sometimes give enough of a jolt to force the solenoid to fire.

I wouldn't doubt it. As stated earlier, I had trouble with my S&G, but it was the touchpad that went South. I was able to finally get into it, and replaced the touchpad. All is well, for now.

Any update on this? My Liberty Safe purchased late 2015 just jammed. Unlocks but handle only spins part way, with bolts only partially retracting. Two trips for the locksmith and still not open...

sndmn11

WKR
My parents' Browning with manual lock has been unable to be opened for about two years. Browning has never had a solution other than to call a locksmith to come cut it open....

Wrench

WKR
I bought my American security from a drug auction. They measured and drilled two holes to get in. I rebuilt the locking mechanism and moved the relocker as well as added a few tricks of my own.

I'm surprised the smith could not just open it.