Buyer Beware of SpyPoint Cellular Trail Cams

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys, whether your into this technology or not, I just wanted to share my experience with SpyPoint cell trail cams & the company that produces them "GG Telecom". I purchased a Spypoint Link Evo back in 2018. I've had nothing but problems with it from the start. Right out of the box, the cam did not work. I contacted GG Telecom, which really took some doing. GG Telecom is a French Canadian company based out of Quebec Canada. They are very hard to get a hold of, and after reading reviews online after my initial purchase (yes I know, big mistake not reading reviews before buying), I can see why. I think their support team is constantly busy fielding phone call complaints on the very sub-par performance of their products. At any rate, I finally was able to get someone on the phone, and explain to them that the camera was not working at all. I was told I needed to send my camera back to them (on my own dime), which I reluctantly did. When I received the camera back, it still did not work. Thankfully in the meantime last year I ended tagging out & filling my buck tag pretty early in the season, and after that I stopped running my cams. Fast forward to fall of 2019, I decided to try to take another run at my Spypoint, and see if I could get them to get it working. After a series of days sitting on hold for 30+ mins, trying to get a support person to pick up my call, one finally did. The gentleman told me the mistake was on their end, and that my cam did not have the proper firmware update? He was able to update it over the phone, and to my surprise the cam did start to work & send pics. I thought maybe I was in the clear, and I purchased a monthly plan from them. The issue I'm having now is that last month the cam sent over the number of pics that I purchased in my plan. Once it reaches the number of pics set in your plan, it will no longer send over anymore until the counter zeros out at the first of the month. Well it's now a new month, and my app on my phone is still telling me the "the monthly photo transfer limit for this camera has been reached". I bit the bullet this afternoon, and tried to contact GG Telecom. I sat on hold for 35 mins, and then just gave up. At this time point in time, I'm giving up, and just wanted to share my experience in hopes to not have any of you go down this road as well.

I can say that my cousin & I started running a couple of Cuddeback Cuddelink cell cams this year, and we've had the complete opposite experience with these cell cams. We've found them to be very reliable & dependable. They are relatively easy to setup, and most of all they work as described. I really wish I would've gone the Cuddelink route in the begining over the Spypoint. I would've saved al ot of money, time & headache...

Anyone else struggling trying to use the Spypoint cell cams? There's quite a few formal complaints on GG Telecom & Spypoint on the Better Business Bureau. See Link below:

Titan

WKR
I had the exact opposite experience. Tons of problems with the cuddeback and was able to return it. Picked up a spypoint and it actually worked great. I used it during my home build and it finally stopped all the theft problems I was having. Got a lot of photos of people snooping around.
The only issue is that I can't get the SD card to work with my phone. The one from my Wildgame Innovations camera works fine.

OP
hoyt-guy

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting Titan...maybe I just got a Lemmon? The most frustrating part has been trying to get a hold of someone on spypoint support. These cams & plans are not cheap & when you make the investment, and have issues & can’t get anyone on the phone to help, it makes you want to pull your hair out..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
Interesting Titan...maybe I just got a Lemmon? The most frustrating part has been trying to get a hold of someone on spypoint support. These cams & plans are not cheap & when you make the investment, and have issues & can’t get anyone on the phone to help, it makes you want to pull your hair out..

I had a similar experience with a non-functional Spypoint last year. Set it up and it didn't work. Called CS. Apparently, its software needed an update. So, took the batteries out and restarted everything. Still didn't work. Then, called back and was told to try a brand new, empty SD card. This supposedly causes it to check for updates. No dice. So, I returned it.

Titan

WKR
I honestly think that these companies are trying extremely hard to make these units as affordable as possible, which means cutting some corners. That leaves the door open for issues. There's a lot of technology packed into a small item running on AA batteries.

I think you get one that works or doesn't. I was able to return mine to Cabelas, but since the bass pro buyout, they are more difficult to work with. It's a huge pain to deal with swapping units, etc. I hate to do things like this, but it might one of those items (like PVC fittings), where you buy multiple and return the ones that don't work.

WCB

WKR
I thought maybe I was in the clear, and I purchased a monthly plan from them. The issue I'm having now is that last month the cam sent over the number of pics that I purchased in my plan. Once it reaches the number of pics set in your plan, it will no longer send over anymore until the counter zeros out at the first of the month. Well it's now a new month, and my app on my phone is still telling me the "the monthly photo transfer limit for this camera has been reached". I bit the bullet this afternoon, and tried to contact GG Telecom. I sat on hold for 35 mins, and then just gave up.

Does your plan specifically state it starts on the 1st of each month? I know my cell phone plan is the 9th. So everything as far a charges and data usage zeros out on the 9th of each month not the 1st.

OP
hoyt-guy

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
WCB this is a great question. I’ve been trying to reach spypoint to figure this out, but I cannot get anyone to pick up my call. They do say that they experience high call volume during the hunting season, but I tried them again this morning 1st thing & gave up after 20 mins on hold...

sneaky

"DADDY"
Covert cell cams always worked fine for me, KY based and answer the phones if you call with questions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've been lucky I guess. Bought the cheapest spypoint they make and have been nothing but happy with it. The image quality over cell kinda sucks, but out the camera they are great!
f61adb3da5727ad1740281316f199439.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Imagine going “blind” into the unknown and finding something.

It’s quite exihilarating.
gotta blame all the whackmaster shows on the tv last 20 years. they make it seam like you need to inventory your game and have a target buck or your not hunting. i think technology is kewl as long as its not overused. in the end we all hunt differently. id love to have one of these just to save the miles with my long travel spots.

rvanbw00

FNG
Updating the firmware is a hassle, but is not very difficult. I have a handful of friends that have varying versions of Spypoints, and aside from updating the firmware (which requires formatting the micro sd in the camera and uploading the new updated files downloaded from Spypoint's website) they have all functioned as intended. I have yet to try the new Cell-Link, which connects to any standard camera and transmits those photos back to you, but cant imagine it works any different. The cell cameras are nice for scouting in/near bedding areas, or places a long way from the truck that have cell signal. Overall, Ive been pleased with mine.

NDGuy

WKR
I had a meh experience last year I returned all of them. But the price point is insane enough to try and make them work again I bought 3 more this year to see if the kinks are worked out.

OP
hoyt-guy

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I moved over to the cuddelink this year, and so far so good. Easy to setup, and the cam is
sending pics everyday. My biggest problem with the Spypoint, was the customer service. In my experience, they were hard to get a hold of.

NDGuy

WKR
My biggest problem with the Spypoint, was the customer service. In my experience, they were hard to get a hold of.
Last year it took me over a month to get ahold of someone to figure out why my cameras stopped sending pics and why I hadn't been rewarded for my 3 referrals I did.

I have had decent success with SPYPOINT. Their chat option seems to work the best and they do honor their warranty on cameras. I’ve only used the Evo 1 season though so hopefully it will hold up.