Buyer Beware - Ram 2500

ToolMann

WKR
Hey fellow Roksliders. I've seen a few threads on here about "which new truck". I finally made a video on the way home from my pronghorn hunt of my horrible steering in my 2017 Ram 2500 that have been going on since new. Figured I'd share it as a PSA. Please like the video, leave comments, share wherever you want. Trying to get the word out and hopefully get FCA to step up and do the right thing. Here is the link:

ToolMann

fmyth

WKR
Had the same problem in my 2014 Ram 2500. One dealer told me that it was a safety feature. I told him he was an idiot and took it to a different dealer who could not fix it. I finally took it to a local offroad fab shop and paid them to diagnose it. Turned out to be a bent front diff/axle housing. Took it back to the dealer and explained to the service manager that the front/diff axle housing was bent. They replaced the front/diff axle housing under warranty and that fixed the pulling to the right.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I'm not a mechanic but it may be worth checking out the Steering Linkage recall notice and or this VIDEO that seems to be your issue. Good luck.
Thanks for sharing info.. They replaced the linkage through the recall, no difference in driving. The video you shared is for a misaligned wheel only, but doesn't affect the pulling to the right. They've supposedly checked the wheel alignment every time at the dealer.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Had the same problem in my 2014 Ram 2500. One dealer told me that it was a safety feature. I told him he was an idiot and took it to a different dealer who could not fix it. I finally took it to a local offroad fab shop and paid them to diagnose it. Turned out to be a bent front diff/axle housing. Took it back to the dealer and explained to the service manager that the front/diff axle housing was bent. They replaced the front/diff axle housing under warranty and that fixed the pulling to the right.
This is good info. I may have to look in to that. You don't happen to be in the Denver area do you?

fmyth

WKR
This is good info. I may have to look in to that. You don't happen to be in the Denver area do you?
Phoenix. When they finally replaced the housing the truck had around 30k miles on it. I drove it to 105k before trading it in.

MattB

WKR
A Ram truck’s steering failure almost killed a buddy of mine a couple of years ago. My understanding is his was one of the cases that brought about the recall. He is beyond lucky to be alive. The threaded end that is adjustable for toe in (I believe) stripped and essentially came out while he was driving a curvy mountain Highway. 0 steering after that point. The manu has dicked him around for 2 years. F them.

xcutter

WKR
That's wild. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 mega cab with Cummins. Steering is not a problem though. I have around 36K on it. I did put a leveling kit on it about 20k miles a go with aftermarket wheels and bigger tires.

Where there any signs of this before it got that bad?

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
That's wild. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 mega cab with Cummins. Steering is not a problem though. I have around 36K on it. I did put a leveling kit on it about 20k miles a go with aftermarket wheels and bigger tires.

Where there any signs of this before it got that bad?
No. Been dealing with this from day one. Partly my fault for not just bringing it back I guess. Drove to Arizona to pick it up at a dealership and drove it home to Colorado. The excitement of the new truck sort of masked the problem for the first few hundred miles.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
my 2017 2500 powerwagon steers fine, just because your does not is not a buyer beware of the whole company product.
I disagree. The company not being able to fix an obviously factory problem is certainly a buyer beware for the entire product line. In the video I never say don't buy a Ram, I say check the steering before you do. Glad yours isn't an issue. I've been a loyal Ram customer for many years, but this will be my last one if they don't take care of the issue. Too bad too because I love most everything else about the truck.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My 2016 with only 45K on it is already giving me problems.
Not steering but 2k$ worth of DEF stuff.
Just paid it off, waiting on the title.
Gonna trade that sucker in.

Moserkr

WKR
I miss my ‘18 ram 2500 already. Driving a new “POS” 3500 high country chevy now. Its nice n all but my ram was rugged. Wanna trade plus some cash on your end?? 😂😂😂. Things are ridiculously priced right now.

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
I miss my ‘18 ram 2500 already. Driving a new “POS” 3500 high country chevy now. Its nice n all but my ram was rugged. Wanna trade plus some cash on your end?? 😂😂😂. Things are ridiculously priced right now.
Tempting! 😁