Buyer Beware - Ram 2500

OP
ToolMann

ToolMann

WKR
Dang, Dodge made the final cut for my next truck.

Has this been addressed with newer models, say 2019+?
I think all brands can have issues. I'd say test drive it as much as you can first, then make a decision. Aside from the steering I only have one other recurring issue they can't figure out, and had an issue with the rear dome light. They are all sort of a risk I guess. My plan was to keep this one for a long time; tired of having a truck payment.

Moserkr

WKR
Tempting! 😁
My ram’s steering was spot on even after i lifted it with new shocks. The new chevy sounds like im carrying tools to a jobsite when i crank it lol. I will say the chevy feels more refined - rides n shifts smoother, more power, more electronics. Other than that its just a matter of time before it all falls apart. My ram just wanted oil and diesel, and to go places - looked sexy doing it too. Never once have I turned around and looked at the chevy walking away - its ugly. Ill be trading back to a ram eventually, but would consider a ford.

Back to your issue though, look up Thuren - they are an aftermarket suspension company. It may be worth your while to just give em a call and inquire about front suspension parts (ask about your issue). They may even talk you into an upgrade lol.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't. Been to two dealers down south here, Castle Rock and Auto Nation on Arapahoe. Mostly the latter.
They have some good mechanics and service advisors also some so so. Unlike most dealers they have their own onsite bodyshop. Rick (service manager) Jason (assistant manger) Larry (longest tenured advisor) I’ve worked with them on many troubleshooting body/glass issues and they impress me with their critical thinking and communication. At the collision center; Dan (manager) Tim (body tech) both very experienced, honestly the whole crew there is good (this coming from me who works for their competition). I would start with the service team bringing them up to speed with everything and see if they think the collision center should inspect/measure the frame. Tim is well experienced in frame replacement, steering and suspension, he will find it if it’s there. I believe you said you are the original owner? While unlikely it’s possible something happened in transport between the factory and the dealership. Yes, transport companies try to slip things through like a 16 year old wrecking their parents car.

kentuckybowman

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree. The company not being able to fix an obviously factory problem is certainly a buyer beware for the entire product line. In the video I never say don't buy a Ram, I say check the steering before you do. Glad yours isn't an issue. I've been a loyal Ram customer for many years, but this will be my last one if they don't take care of the issue. Too bad too because I love most everything else about the truck.
Then every automobile company should be buyer beware according to your logic. All of them put out a problem vehicle on occasion that is hard to get taken care of. My wife grand caravan had to go to the shop 5 times to get an issue taken care of under warranty and they finally found it and fixed it. Does that mean all
Chrysler minivans are buyer beware? Hardly. Good luck with your truck.

As previously stated, any vehicle can become a P.I.T.A. however, when the dealership cannot fix the problem and your safety is at risk...the dept. of Consumer Affairs-Automotive is your cure. Had some issues with dealerships that were F____ed Up and boy did they pay. One dealership sold me a used car with a cracked block and tried to charge me for an engine rebuild. The investigator not only got me a free rebuilt engine but performed a 6 month review of their biggest repairs and fined em big time. People throughout my country started receiving fat reimbursement checks thereafter. I did donuts in their lot as I drove away, if you EVER find yourself getting jerked around...file a formal complaint with the licensing agency that controls them...any vehicle can develop a problem but you don't have to live with it.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Then every automobile company should be buyer beware according to your logic. All of them put out a problem vehicle on occasion that is hard to get taken care of. My wife grand caravan had to go to the shop 5 times to get an issue taken care of under warranty and they finally found it and fixed it. Does that mean all
Chrysler minivans are buyer beware? Hardly. Good luck with your truck.
Man the point of this thread flew right over your head big time. You seem offended lol

This problem almost killed a man, it’s worth making consumers aware. Especially the triggered ones! Ford, dodge, Chevy all have die hard fans like it’s politics or sports, Jesus!

The other fun thing about them Dodge diesels is rebuilding the front end steering and running gear around 100k miles. Them lifetime lubricated ball joints, tie rod ends, ect….ain’t lifetime.
But yeah, good trucks, front ends just ain’t Dodge/Rams strong point.

No, but it has been aligned by two different dealers 5 or 6 times.
At this point I would take it to a different alignment shop, and explain in detail what has been going on.

My feeling is that the dealer is "overlooking" a caster or camber split that is close enough to within spec that most of the time isnt an issue, and isnt easily adjusted on that truck.

alignment print out would show us if the diffs are square to the frame and each other, and caster/camber splits (which are what cause pulls).

Could always be a tire, or axle u joint, or wheel bearing, but those things generally get worse over time, or in the case of the tire, would be noticed with rotations.

Baddog

WKR
Find a independent alignment shop with a competent alignment tech and they can cheat the factory numbers to make it drive straight. Anyone with a half days training can run a modern alignment machine but you need someone with just a touch of understanding to what is going on and they’ll solve the problem easily.

Baddog

WKR

read this and find someone that’ll do it for you

Moserkr

WKR

read this and find someone that’ll do it for you
Exactly…. Align to thuren specs.

PA Hunter

WKR
I have a 17 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn Mega cab diesel steering never gave me a problem. Love the truck.

Maybe try another reputable mechanic the dealers are not very good around me just throw parts at problems and cannot diagnose much without a scan tool these days.