Buying a bow new or used

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same bow as the OP, how much better are the bows now? I get my deer every year, and haven't thought too much about upgrading. Am I stupid?

I'm in the same boat. I have an Alphamax that I bought used that is turning 10. I still like it and it shoots great. I know it is slow by todays standards, but its all set up and ready to go. If I do upgrade it will be used in the 2-3 year old category. I can't justify paying a premium for a bow when I am right handed with a 28in draw with tons of used bows to choose from.

rob86jeep

WKR
I'm looking to get a new bow, I've been hunting with a matthews mission from 2009 for the past 10 years so any upgrade will be pretty significant for me. I primarily hunt elk and mule deer in CO, and having shot prime, hoyt, matthews, and bowtech I am leaning towards getting the Realm X. I'm struggling to decide if I want to get a new or used one, having trouble finding a 70lb Realm X for sale that's used.

What are ya'lls thoughts? I really don't need to get a new one until April so I'm hoping there will be more used bows coming up for sale after everyone got new stuff for Christmas.
I'm kinda in the same boat and the way I look at it is like vehicles. If you want a new bow every few years, buy used as they're much cheaper. If you buy a bow every 10 years or so, it doesn't really matter if you buy new or used as an extra $500 dollars over the course of 10 years is 4 dollars a day or 50 dollars a year (not really an issue). I'm looking at gettin a new Vertix if I decide to buy a new bow again or a Halon if I want to go used. I'm still shooting my Mathews Switchback XT from 2006 timeframe so no matter what I choose it will be a significant upgrade.

stevewes2004

Lil-Rokslider
Buying a used model that has been through the test of time and kinks worked out is the way to go. You can buy and sell until you find what you like the best without losing much $$$.

to the guys that buy a new bow each year, thanks!!! 😁

Pepe55

FNG
Nothing wrong with used bows, hell i bought a used Elite (barely used)from a guy that bought it and couldnt get it to shoot broadheads so in the tuning process I bought a shim kit to move the cams and really alls I ended up doing is swapping the large spacers to the opposite side of the cams , factory screwup, now it shoots broadheads really well. For $1000 you would think they could manufacture a bow that would shoot right out of the box.

I buy all my bows used. Can’t afford brand new. Once the tags come off a bows price Tag drops significantly. I’ve never had to use a warranty on a bow.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Left Handed. Finding used bows and rifles is difficult. Would love to buy used, but rarely can I find what I want. Just bought a new Mathews VXR 31.5. Plan on hunting with this a minimum 5 years.

I’ve done both plenty and I don’t think I’ll ever pay for a new one again, I picked up a 10 month old centergy hybrid for over 60% off retail price used a couple years ago, then got a Ct5 for full price and kicked myself because I could have waited and got one used for half off. I had a RX1 with issues returned it and shop gave me the rx3 I never fell in love with it sold it loaded for 500 less than bare bow price with Hamskea and fast Eddie bee stinger and GAS ghost xv strings, and replaced it with a 2013 E32 I got for 275 with a HDX on it that I shoot far better than the Hoyt. Why spend double the money on something a year newer with the same specs

If you buy used just make sure the string and cables are good. Got screwed on that once with having to replace the string when they were said to be in good condition. Can’t go wrong on saving money buying used though

fatlander

WKR
The question really isn’t new or used. The question is “Do I want to depend on a ‘pro’ shop for everything archery related?”

If you answer yes, buy the bow new.

If you answer no, buy a year or two old bow for half price or less than MSRP. Then buy yourself an LCA ez green press, an apple bow vise, and a set of archery levels. Spend some time searching through archery talk and you’ll find more information than you can ever consume in lifetime on tuning bows.

You could also build a draw board, but you can get by without it. Throw in an arrow saw and fletching jig down the road and you’ll never need to go to a shop again.

Tuning a bow isn’t hard at all. It just takes some time to learn and you have to have the tools. The initial investment on tools seems expensive, but the savings over the years will be drastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
I guess I'm the oddball here, if you plan of keeping the bow for 10 years I wouldn't hesitate to buy new and would want to for the warranty. I have used the warranty on my last two new bows if I would have bought them used I would be out a bunch of extra $$$. Sure I paid a little more up front but I've gotten that back through warranty claims with my current bow.

I shoot thousands of arrow a year and put around 200 miles a year on my boots with my bow in my hand so it takes a pretty good beating. I shot a Prime before my current Hoyt and had to have the limbs replaced and they also warrantied the strings due to premature wear. My Hoyt has had two sets of limbs replace as well as the riser over the last 6 years.

New Hoyt limbs are $225 from them, I have bought several sets building my wife and kids bows. I assume Prime Limbs are similar costs and strings are around $110, No idea what a Carbon Riser would cost if it weren't warranted? $500

If I add all of that up it comes in just over $1200, not including any labor which was free but I would have had to pay labor if the shop didn't do the warranty work for free.

Sure you can find used parts for half the price but that's if you can find them or are willing to wait around for the right ones to pop up.

For me having a warranty is a no brainer for my hunting bow, I know if I have an issue I can have it resolved right away and for cheap or free.

I do buy used bows for my wife and two sons who all shoot as well, they don't shoot as much and are not near as hard on their equipment yet. I have built my wife a couple of bows since she is a short draw and it honestly hasn't saved me much over buying new by the time I swap out to lightweight limbs for her. My boys, on the other hand, have gotten some great deals on bows for and since they are still growing I know their bows will be moving on in a couple of years at the most so it makes sense to find them good used bows.

I know a lot of people have never had to use the warranty on a bow but that has not been my experience, a person is defiantly taking a risk buying used, one that could cost them a lot of extra time and money in the long run.

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I won’t buy used, but won’t buy new either. I’ve always been able to find a 1-3 year old “new” bow for sale on eBay from various bow shops. Way less than buying new and I’m always able to register the warranty since I’m the original owner. Just got a “new” Elite this past season. Setting it up and tuning myself was fun as hell in the off season.

I've done it both ways. My last bow I bought used (a year old), Bow befor ethat I bought from a shop. My next bow I'll be going back to buying new from a reputable shop. It took me forever to get my used bow tuned to a reasonable hunting accuracy. I'm still not happy with it, but it's adequate for WI whitetail. I dont get shots over 30 yards where I hunt. I'd much rather pay the price to have my bow set-up and tuned by a professional. I've struggled to find a shop willing to help me tune my bow that I didnt buy from them.

I paid $435 for a like new 2018 PSE Evoke last year. Bought from a well-known and reputable member on archerytalk.com. I tune my own bows, so unless something is broken, a good used bow is perfect for me. I recommend trying to learn to tune your own bows. You can buy an inexpensive bow press for about $65. That would be a cable bow press, so you have to be careful using it. But they do work. And tuning your own bow really is a skill that every Archer should have.

I just bought used on an SR6. Saved a bundle. Took it to the local shop to have inspected, fitted and tuned for $30.
I probably saved $500 over new, which can be used for new arrows, etc

Ratspit

FNG
I always buy a new leftover bow. There is usually not much difference between last years model and the current model. Most of the time it can be 35-50% off. Bought a brand new RX-1 last spring for $700.

I suppose it's no different than buying a used/new car. Spending an extra $200 or so for a new one that comes with warranty and peace of mind may be worth it to some. Shoot what you like and spend what you want I guess!