Buying a new bow online.

Hi,

I have been browsing bows online and noticed PSE Evoke bows on eBay for around $850.
I mention this model as an example. The Bowtech Realm X (or SR6), Mathews Traverse are also some that I am considering.

I wanted to ask if there were issues with buying new bows on eBay?
Are these just listing from shops that are getting rid of excess inventory?

I don't have a shop where I can just walk in and try out a bunch of bows, so I am completely dependent on purchasing online, and having to make decisions based on reviews.

I figure I may buy a bow next month or closer to November, since new models may be coming out around that time.

Ebay was just a starting point in my search in order to get some average prices.
Websites such as Lancaster Archery state on their website that they will only sell certain brands in their store.

Another option would be to call shops and place an order over the phone and arrange a purcase and shipping using method.

Anyway, in the interest of planning ahead I wanted to get some ideas on how to proceed.
To clarify, I'm on an island so I won't be able to able to test out bows. I must purchase from the states and have it shipped. The standard approach of trying our a bunch of bows and figuring out what I like is not an available option for me unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any advise and suggestions.

Cheers,
Mitch

OP
Pullmyfinger
Thanks Mike,

I'll keep my eye on that. I appreciate the advice on the high feedback rating.
Buying used seems a bit more risky.

Cheers,
Mitch

Trial153

WKR
I have bought about 6 or 8 bows from Ebay, new models never had an issue. In fact that's where i picked up this years pse evoke 31 that I am shooting

OP
Pullmyfinger
I have bought about 6 or 8 bows from Ebay, new models never had an issue. In fact that's where i picked up this years pse evoke 31 that I am shooting
That's great to hear. I was curious about the numerous new bow listings on ebay. I'm glad to hear you has good experiences going that route.

OR Archer

WKR
Our shop sells used bows on eBay. We will occasionally have new older stock as well. I’ll PM you a link to our eBay store.

WKR
Buying the bow is the easy part

Look for something adjustable, in terms of draw length and tuning that doesn't require a shop. You won't have mods, or shims, or any of the other pieces that can be required to tune some companies bows...

Do you have a press? Draw board?

I enjoy compound bows but the damn things are high maintenance and require lots of pieces and equipment to perform at their optimal level.

I'm considering going to a stick bow just because I hate all the damn tuning and tinkering.

OP
Pullmyfinger
Our shop sells used bows on eBay. We will occasionally have new older stock as well. I’ll PM you a link to our eBay store.
Thank you,
I will keep an eye out on your page. NOS is what I'm particularly interested in.

-Mitch

OP
Pullmyfinger
Buying the bow is the easy part

Look for something adjustable, in terms of draw length and tuning that doesn't require a shop. You won't have mods, or shims, or any of the other pieces that can be required to tune some companies bows...

Do you have a press? Draw board?

I enjoy compound bows but the damn things are high maintenance and require lots of pieces and equipment to perform at their optimal level.

I'm considering going to a stick bow just because I hate all the damn tuning and tinkering.

One of my buddies recently made the switch to a recurve bow, citing the same reasons you mentioned.
Like was said, How do you plan to set it up and tune it?

I have access to a bow press and a draw board.
Sorry, I forgot to reply to those points previously.

87TT

WKR
I bought a new old stock Pro Defiant on Ebay and with the help of YouTube and a homemade press and draw board, set it up, tuned it and killed an elk this year. So go for it.

I recently bought a new bow on eBay. It wasn't as expensive as the models listed, but by all accounts it just seemed like a shop unloading inventory. I feel like eBay at least offers some recourse when making a purchase that large, vs. want ads.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
I got my last bow from a member on archery talk. It is a used, like new Hoyt that was less than 1yr old at the time. Just like any online transaction, there are certain risks. For the significant $$$ savings, it was worth it to me. Through PM's I contacted the seller and talked to him on the phone before sending the money. It put me at ease with the whole deal and the bow arrived flawless....I would try there along with eBay. Many members over there trade up every season and several are probably looking to move extra bows along right now.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to buy from my trusted dealers even though they are in Connecticut and NYS and I’m in South Florida.

Gives me an excuse to fly up north and visit the fam too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Could be extra inventory, or clearing out older models to make room for new stuff. Some companies do not authorize online sales. Some will only allow it of the nearest dealer is a significant distance away.

My last two bows were bought online, one new, one used. Used was from Archerytalk.com. If you know what you like spec wise, it is fairly safe bet buying online.

Rikkar

FNG
I bought my 2018 PSE Drive X used on ebay from a pawnshop that had many bows for sale. Pretty sure the price I paid was a typo but it's been flawless for me.

I bought and sold bows on ArcheryTalk for several years without any issues. Lots of communication and my due diligence researching the guy selling always worked out well for me. Always paid via PayPal goods and services for the buyer protection feature and thankfully never had to use it.

eBay should have some form of buyer protection also. Look into the sellers transaction and feedback history and good communication should keep you safe.

Florida Bow Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
For what its worth, I have bought and I bet 20 bows on AT. Cant say I had any bad transactions on AT bowwise.. so hey you might be buying from me!

How about any warranty issues ? What do you do ? Luckily I haven’t had an issue with warranty, but would buying online, into a dealers area, how do you handle it ?

Call the company direct / rep and have them send you to the local shop or say you bought it while residing elsewhere?