Buying a Swarovski STX spotter objective size?

Muff74b

FNG
I’m going to be purchasing a Swarovski STX in the near future and want opinions on the best size objective. I currently have a vortex spotter with an 80mm objective. I’ve read great reviews about the light gathering and crispness of the 95mm objective, but I was wondering if it’s to big to pack around in a backpack? Is there really a big difference between the 85mm and 95mm when it comes to light gathering and edge to edge crispness? Is a 65mm even worth looking into? Would love to hear everyone’s opinions that have experience with any of the different size objectives. Thanks in advance for any responses.

I went back and forth a million times with buy once cry once echoing in my mind. I had a vortex straight spotter so I went with the swaro ATX. The angled scope is way easier to use comfortably for long sits.

I ended up with the 65mm objective and am glad I did. I’ve only had it on a moose / caribou hunt, 2 mule deer hunts, an antelope hunt, and some PRS rifle competitions besides range sessions. I think the 65 is the biggest I wouldn’t leave in the truck.

I think it depends on what you’re hunting. I’ve been packing an ATX 95 on sheep hunts for quite a few years. This year, I bought a 65 mm objective, to lighten up my pack a little. At the end of my 10 day hunt, I decided the weight savings weren’t worth it. The 65 still has it’s place (caribou) and the 95 also has its place (sheep, moose, Coues deer). The 95 has higher image resolution that justifies the increased weight and bulk.

Jimss

WKR
As mentioned by MaraviaDave it may be worth hauling the higher resolution on an Alaska sheep hunt where you are trying to distinguish rings and full curl from long distances (may save some hiking). If you've done much goat hunting you are aware that it can be challenging field judging.....determining the difference between an average 8 1/2" billy from a 9 1/2" monster. For the most part unless you are trying to distinguish inches of horn/antler growth you may not need the slightly better optics. If you stalk a little bit closer to the animal you will likely get the same definition. Higher quality optics may save you some hiking. Additional light may also help during low light conditions with the better optics.

How good of shape are you in and what's your age? As I grow older (and smarter) I continue to figure out ways to rid my pack of weight and bulk. I've been impressed with my 65x and there is no way I would want to pack a 85 or larger spotter up and down the hills for grueling backpack hunts. If you are young and in excellent shape it may not matter as much? I stay in excellent year-round shape and can usually hike young studs into the ground but still aren't willing to haul around an 85x when 65x does a fantastic job.

I travel to Alaska on a fairly regular basis to sheep and mtn goat hunt. With luggage costs at a premium I've pretty much slimmed down the bulk and weight of all my gear. I usually carry all my optics in my pack through the airports. Another benefit to smaller/lighter is Alaska flight services usually only allow so much weight for bush flights. It can sometimes be frustrating filtering through your gear trying to reduce required weight restrictions.

With that said, I can see where having both would be nice. There are particular hunts where weight and bulk doesn't matter (antelope, moose, deer, etc). It would be nice having the opportunity to pick and choose between optics. If $ doesn't matter I would likely have both. I've done totally fine for years with my 65x and aren't getting any younger. If I only had 1 to choose from for my particular use it would be my tried and true 65x. Everyone's budget and use is a little different and it's worth considering what exactly works best for you.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Keep in mind the BTX is a fixed power, not a variable. As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes

If you are not going to take advantage of the ATX/STX modularity, excluding the BTX, then it does not make a lot of sense to buy it. You are paying quite a bit more money and taking weight penalty compared to the ATS/STS with only a bit better glass. There are other options, such as Kowa models with fluorite lenses, that may make more sense.

Here are the specs for my STX with the 65mm and 95mm objectives:
* 65 (with Swarovski stay-on case)
** Length: 15"
** Height: 5.5"
** Weight: 66.15 ounces
* 95 (with Swarovski stay-on case)
** Length: 19"
** Height: 6"
** Weight: 88.25 ounces

I love the view the STX 95 provides but it is a beast. Plus I have to take a heavier tripod/head (74 ounces) to provide the necessary stability. The STX 95 goes with me when I am helping someone else on their hunt, scouting, and the occasional Coues hunt; most Coues hunts I just bring the STX 65. My STX 95 "setup" with tripod and head weights just over 10 pounds. That is 20% of the usual 50 pound max weight limit for a lot of flights to the backcountry.

The STX 65 gets the nod the majority of the time due to its size and weight. Works pretty damn good and I can use a lighter tripod/head (54 ounces). There are times I wish I had "more"; but I've ran the STX 95 and have had times I wished for "more". My STX 65 "setup" with tripod and head weights 6.75 pounds. That's 13.5% of the usual 50 pound max weight limit for a lot of flights to the backcountry. This is one reason I grabbed my Kowa 554; entire setup only weighs 4.75 pounds.

Note: I know that I can save some weight on the tripod and heads but those are some expensive ounces. Included what I have for demonstration.

dapesche

WKR
If you are not going to take advantage of the ATX/STX modularity, excluding the BTX, then it does not make a lot of sense to buy it. You are paying quite a bit more money and taking weight penalty compared to the ATS/STS with only a bit better glass. There are other options, such as Kowa models with fluorite lenses, that may make more sense.

Here are the specs for my STX with the 65mm and 95mm objectives:
* 65 (with Swarovski stay-on case)
** Length: 15"
** Height: 5.5"
** Weight: 66.15 ounces
* 95 (with Swarovski stay-on case)
** Length: 19"
** Height: 6"
** Weight: 88.25 ounces

I love the view the STX 95 provides but it is a beast. Plus I have to take a heavier tripod/head (74 ounces) to provide the necessary stability. The STX 95 goes with me when I am helping someone else on their hunt, scouting, and the occasional Coues hunt; most Coues hunts I just bring the STX 65. My STX 95 "setup" with tripod and head weights just over 10 pounds. That is 20% of the usual 50 pound max weight limit for a lot of flights to the backcountry.

The STX 65 gets the nod the majority of the time due to its size and weight. Works pretty damn good and I can use a lighter tripod/head (54 ounces). There are times I wish I had "more"; but I've ran the STX 95 and have had times I wished for "more". My STX 65 "setup" with tripod and head weights 6.75 pounds. That's 13.5% of the usual 50 pound max weight limit for a lot of flights to the backcountry. This is one reason I grabbed my Kowa 554; entire setup only weighs 4.75 pounds.

Note: I know that I can save some weight on the tripod and heads but those are some expensive ounces. Included what I have for demonstration.
100% accurate. If you intend to just own one objective, don't buy the atx/sts/btx system.

I bought the 65atx and realized it wasn't much better than the kowa 663ed and the 65sts. I returned and basically wasted $250 doing it.

I have purchased a kowa 773 and will be saving a lot of money.

The important thing is this:
1)If you think the swaro X line is the best out there then don't look through any other higher end spotters after you get yours b/c you'll be disappointed in the price you paid for yours.
2)don't buy the swaro X line unless you're going to get a 65 and an 85/95 and rotate back and forth.

Also, I found the swaro 65atx wiggled more when focusing compared to my kowa. Kowa was easier to get focused.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Netherman

WKR
I'm also looking at Swaro X series objectives. After being disappointed in a Vanguard Endeavor HD65A this past season for a variety of reasons, I'm looking at a serious upgrade to a STX with either a 65 or 85 objective. I'm towards the 85 for increased twilight factor and thinking I may add a BTX down the road which might not pair well with a 65.

Having read thru this thread I am back to considering the 65 again as I tend to walk more than I glass and weight and bulk savings are important to me. My concern with the 65 is that while I'm sure it's miles ahead of my vanguard 65 I'll still be missing that first and last light viewing that is common in deer hunting.

Initially, I plan to buy the STX and single objective (65 or 85) and adding a BTX/other components in the future. I made a pro/con list below and am curious to get more input on these as the input so far doesn't show many people liking the 85.

85 STX/BTX
Cost 4088 + BTX

Pro
lower system cost
better light gathering with the 85 vs 65
won't need a new tripod
could replace STX with ATX if wanting to go back to angled

Con
heavier and more bulk than the 65
less light gathering than the 95

65 + 95 STX BTX
Cost 3398 + 95 (2099) + BTX

Pro
lighter weight less bulk option than 85
more options and better light gathering with the 95
could replace STX with ATX if wanting to go back to angled

Con
1400 higher cost than the 85 system
Will likely need a new tripod for the 95

Wildcard - Kowa 88
Cost 3100

Pro
cheaper option
comparable weight to the STX85

Con
no modularity / BTX option

Wildcard - Kowa 77
Cost 2300

Pro
cheapest option
comparable weight to the STX65

Con
no modularity / BTX option

fatrascal

WKR
Netherlands, you could any of those options and be happy and find animals all day long and be a great hunter.
The swarovski 85mm is a great objective. If you are worried about light gathering ability of the 65mm and you only want to buy one objective then the 85mm is a great choice in the middle optic that can still be carried and can be matched up with a single eyepiece or the double btx eyepiece.
The btx. The btx is awesome, wonderful and great. But since it is a fixed 30 or 35 power, depending on the objective you have, I dont feel like its as useful of a tool as a single eyepiece that can zoom to 50 or 60 power. I have a btx and love it but if I had to choose between a single or double eyepiece then I would choose the single eyepiece for the extra zoom power. Many will disagree with that statement.
The 65mm objective. When I first started with optics I also went with the bigger objective for light gathering ability. 15 years ago that was 80mm over the 65mm. After several years I sold It and went with the 65mm and never missed the 80mm. I've never compared the 80mm beside the 65mm but don't feel like I need to.
The Kowa 88 and 77. I have no experience with these but many people love them so I would say the kowa is a good option as well.
A backpack hunter wants less weight so a 65 or 77 would be a good choice. If you are young then carrying an 85 or 95 may not bother you one bit. Lots of guys carry the big optics and are perfectly happy doing it. Some love the btx so much that they carry it as well.
It all comes down to personal preference. Go to Cabelas or Bass Pro or Sportsmans warehouse and get those choices outside in the evening and compare, compare, compare. Do it several times. What looks good one day in certain lighting might not look good the next day. Such as a rainy day compared to a sunny day.
Good luck and let us know what you get. Fatrascal.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes. We do have some Swarovski Open Box Units at a nice savings