Buying a Used Muzzeloader?

Loper

WKR
I’m new to black powder and have a muzzleloader hunt coming up this season so I need to pick one up.

I’ve been reading that due to the powder used, muzzleloaders can often get corrosion if not cleaned thoroughly after several shots.

Knowing this, is it ok to buy a used muzzleloader, or is buying new the best route to go? If buying used, what are some things to look out for in order to to know if it has been properly taken care of or not?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Ok. Good to know. Thanks for the help.

I’ve bought used rifles before, but didn’t know it was ok to buy used muzzleloaders.

A used muzzy would be fine as long as you get to personally examine the bore or get good pics. There should be no rust or pitting which a may effect accuracy and consistency shot to shot. On that note, my personal preference would be to buy new so you can start with a clean slate. BTW, start looking for a reliable source for your powder and bullets, supply chains are pretty slim and slow these days.

I’m new to black powder and have a muzzleloader hunt coming up this season so I need to pick one up.

I’ve been reading that due to the powder used, muzzleloaders can often get corrosion if not cleaned thoroughly after several shots.

Knowing this, is it ok to buy a used muzzleloader, or is buying new the best route to go? If buying used, what are some things to look out for in order to to know if it has been properly taken care of or not?
Used is fine, clean it up good when you get it home

Sendit88

FNG
Basically I just make sure the rifling in the barrel is fine some people forget the clean them after shooting and they Pitt bad

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider

Check the bore with a flashlight, take the breech plug out, I have cut up 2 black powder rifles that were rotting from inside out due to lack of cleaning. Another I did get apart and cleaned had parts of the rifling that were so rusty it might as well have been a smooth bore. Buyer beware with used black powder guns. Disclaimer all the above stated rifles were given to me to be inspected before being fired....

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Check the bore with a flashlight, take the breech plug out, I have cut up 2 black powder rifles that were rotting from inside out due to lack of cleaning. Another I did get apart and cleaned had parts of the rifling that were so rusty it might as well have been a smooth bore. Buyer beware with used black powder guns. Disclaimer all the above stated rifles were given to me to be inspected before being fired....

That’s good to know. I may just end up buying new. I’ve bought used rifles before and haven’t had any issues, but black powder seems like it may not be ideal.

rclouse79

WKR
I would guess tack drivers make up a small percentage of the used gun market. I would suck it up and buy new unless I was able to shoot a group before purchasing.