Buying Gear with NO Budget!

Optics - Swaro binos and spotter

Tripod - Jim White head to go with my Slik or the outdoorsman set up.

Tent - Kifaru Tipi and Mega tarp.

Bag - Western Mountaineering Versalite

Clothing - First Lite and KUIU

Backpack - T2 with Bikini Frame

Bow - PSE

Rifle - What is a rifle?

Now if I could just find a good deal on either a Jim White head or the Outdoorsman system... I'd be set with everything I want!

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
In my endless budget dream, which is recurring, I would have the full lineup of Swaro optics, Hoyt and Mathews bows, Tikka rifles, KUIU clothing, Kifaru packs, shelters and slick bags, Meindl boots, Oakley glasses, Winston and G loomis rods, Bote paddle boards, and Simms waders and boots. In my dream I would also change my name to "The Governor" (it's my dream dammit) and argue that every tag I get is a "Governor's tag" and if you don't believe me ask my personal driver, pilot, chef and swedish massage therapist because she is, among other things, inherently credible. But then I wake up…..

slim9300

WKR
In my endless budget dream, which is recurring, I would have the full lineup of Swaro optics, Hoyt and Mathews bows, Tikka rifles, KUIU clothing, Kifaru packs, shelters and slick bags, Meindl boots, Oakley glasses, Winston and G loomis rods, Bote paddle boards, and Simms waders and boots. In my dream I would also change my name to "The Governor" (it's my dream dammit) and argue that every tag I get is a "Governor's tag" and if you don't believe me ask my personal driver, pilot, chef and swedish massage therapist because she is, among other things, inherently credible. But then I wake up…..

Sound like great dream except for the Mathews bows. :)

tstowater

WKR
First off, if I had an endless budget, I would take a cook and several horses and wrangler (if I can use horses). If I can't take horses, the endless budget would allow for several porters to carry all the amenities that I would like. Since that isn't going to happen, here's what I would do:

Optics: Maybe some new Swaros

Tripod: I like the Outdoorsman with the Jim White head

Tent: Not sure. Probably a Kifaru or Hilleberg

Bag: I like my Slick bag

Clothing: KUIU. I like the looks of some of the new First Lite

Backpack: McHale, if it fits right or a .....?

Bow: Hoyt Carbon Matrix

Rifle: Not really sure. Too many good ones out there. I like the Bansners.

Boots: I like my Schnee Granites for sheep, but need something else for the rest

Looks like I need to buy a lottery ticket or two (AKA: voluntary tax contribution):)

Mossy1

FNG
Hmmmmm. Interesting pack choices :).

This thread got me so wound up I went and bought a Powerball ticket. My mom would be disappointed, she was a math teacher and always said the Lotto was a "tax on people that couldn't do math."

Anyway ...

If you had an endless budget, what would you but for backpacking gear if you had to head out tomorrow and live for the next month with what's on your back?

Optics: All of them.

Tripod: Outoorsman Medium pistol head full setup

Tent: Sawtooth/ Montana Canvas

Bag: BA Zirkel SL

Clothing: KUIU everything.

Backpack: Kuiu Icon 6000 and Kifaru T2, alternating until I could find which one I like better

Bow: Bowtech Invasion CPX, Tight Spot, Montana Black Gold, all the trimmens

Rifle: New Ultra Light Arms 7 WSM or 7 RM, March 2.5-25 scope

Sat phone: whoever makes the best.

Boots: The works from Lathrop on some Hanwags.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Optics: swaro els 10x42 and some big mamma jamma binos for the truck

Shelter:sawtooth

sleeping bag: valandre bloody Mary or ul spiral down bag

Spotter: swaro stm 20-60x65 angled HD with some carbon matrix helical fluted bombproof tripod.

I'd get a 270wsm made on a crf action, carbon wrapped barrel, western style stock, sub 6 lbs

fun to dream I guess

Kotaman

WKR
When it comes to hunting and gear, I have no budget...

Owned Optics: Swaro EL 8.5x43's, Swaro SLC 15x56 and just ordered the Leica Geovid HD-B in 10x42. Spotter is Swaro 85 HD

Owned TriPod: Outdoorsman with the Pan Head and an Outdoorsman window mount.

Owned Bags: BA Storm King, BA Lost Ranger and 20 Slick Bag

Owned Clothing: Everything KUIU makes.

Owned Packs: KU3700 with all the goodies, T2, Spike Camp, MR Dragonslayer and a Tenzing Fanny

Owned Bow(s): Hoyt Spyder Turbo, Hoyt Spyder 30 and Hoyt Vector 32

Favorite Rifle: Boswell Custom .300 WSM followed by HS Precision .300 WSM followed by Kimber Montana .280 AI.

Boots: Too numberous to list, but my favorites are Lowa Sheephunters.

Hunting and Hunting gear is my "thing" bordering on an obsession. In fact listing the stuff just made me realize I have a problem...:)

Bighorse

WKR
Add a supercub to that list for me from Cub Crafters.

I'd like a 28' Duckworth

A nice property adjacent to Chisiana with the free time to live there long enough to earn the rights to hunt the "Park".

Optics, pants, packs....whatever! I want transportation and time. Thats the most valuable resource for a hunter. Next being a good friend and a loving woman.

If a weather making/changing machine was an option I'd like that too.

If you had an endless budget, what would you but for backpacking gear if you had to head out tomorrow and live for the next month with what's on your back?

Optics

Tripod

Tent

Bag

Clothing

Backpack

Bow

Rifle

and whatever else you could think of!

I'm looking for the names of companies, but feel free to list specific items as well.

curious to see what youd be running aron? will it be similar to the gear list that goes to asia?

Craig4791

WKR
Add a supercub to that list for me from Cub Crafters.

I'd like a 28' Duckworth

A nice property adjacent to Chisiana with the free time to live there long enough to earn the rights to hunt the "Park".

Optics, pants, packs....whatever! I want transportation and time. Thats the most valuable resource for a hunter. Next being a good friend and a loving woman.

Couldn't agree more! A plane and the time to hunt all season would be epic!

Optics: Leica Geovid / APO Televid 65

Tripod: Outdoorsman

Tent: Go Lite SL5 if im with my hunting comrads, Hillberg if im alone

Bag: Not sure... im happy with my BA set up but im sure there is better stuff out there that I havent tried that I would with an unlimited budget.

Clothing: KUIU, darn tough socks, zamberlan boots, Suunto Core watch

Backpack: KUIU Icon

Bow: Hoyt Element G3

Rifle: Christensen Arms

This exactly. I'm skipping buying all kinds of cool stuff to try and scrape together the time and money for another fly out sheep hunt.

That being said, Aron's original post did make the assumption of a month of time and boot leather transportation. :)

Yk

tstowater

WKR
This exactly. I'm skipping buying all kinds of cool stuff to try and scrape together the time and money for another fly out sheep hunt.

That being said, Aron's original post did make the assumption of a month of time and boot leather transportation. :)

Yk

You have more vision than I do to assume what Aron had in his mind. :cool:

You have more vision than I do to assume what Aron had in his mind. :cool:

Was I reading this wrong?

Anyway, I'll take a slightly different tack on this. If I'm heading out tomorrow for a month of backpacking I want stuff that proven by ME, so all stuff I've either owned or have used/borrowed at some point.

Optics: Swaro Spotter, Zeiss Binoculars

Tripod: Slik Tripod/Manfrotto Head

Tent: Hilleburg

Bag: MH Ultralamina 15. This bag works for me well enough that I wouldn't switch to something untried just because I had an unlimited budget.

Clothing: Mixed pile of brands. Ibex, Mountain Hardwear, Sitka, REI, OR... Unlimited money wouldn't really change that.

Pack: If I'm living LONG TERM out of a packpack, I want volume... lots of volume. So that would mean Barneys to me.

Rifle: I like cool custom rifles, but even with an unlimited budget if I'm headed off tomorrow I would leave the fancy stuff at home and just take the Tikka 30-06. Not cool, but it is proven, and that is my main requirement in a rifle. I might put a NULA on order before I left though...

Yk

Couldn't agree more! A plane and the time to hunt all season would be epic!

Agreed, time in the wilderness is more important than material upgrades. Using effective (or expensive) tools for the task doesn't take away from this. Not that I don't love a back to basics trip every now and again...