Buying guns

wyosteve

WKR
As mentioned, a video call with him holding the rifle and showing you details will help. Still no guarantee he'll ship it, but lessens the scam possibilities.

OP
Joshuajosh
As mentioned, a video call with him holding the rifle and showing you details will help. Still no guarantee he'll ship it, but lessens the scam possibilities.
I’m thinking about asking him to post in on gunbroker or pay through gun tab… will protect the both of us but it is a bit of a hassle

How do you (as a buyer) protect yourself when buying a gun on a forum ? I’m looking at a rifle on another forum and the guy has positive feedback as a buyer and seller but I’m not sure how to protect myself in the instance that somebody wanted to screw me over… I thought about asking them to post on gunbroker but not sure if that will turn them away Becuase it can be a bit of a pain if he doesn’t have an account yet, or somebody else could snatch it before me …. Any advice ?

Really sketchy? Just use an escrow service that allows firearms, like GunTab.

If you are buying online these days, you are accepting a certain amount of risk. Do a lot of the things that have been mentioned above, but you won’t be sure until you have the item in your possession.

Also verify that the item you are buying is the one pictured. I recently got screwed because although the item I received was the same model, it wasn’t the one pictured and wasn’t in as good of condition.

jayhawk

WKR
Find an FFL in their area, get the FFL info, and have them act as a mediator between you two. Send the money to them and then the seller will ship it from that FFL.

OP
Joshuajosh
Find an FFL in their area, get the FFL info, and have them act as a mediator between you two. Send the money to them and then the seller will ship it from that FFL.
The guy has an ffl and a gunbroker account I can read reviews on … called him today and he sounds legit

OP
Joshuajosh
Is a certified check a safe way of paying for a firearm on a forum? rather then making a guntab account … doesn’t sound that good to me lol

jayhawk

WKR
Is a certified check a safe way of paying for a firearm on a forum? rather then making a guntab account … doesn’t sound that good to me lol
Yes or a money order. I think mailing the check to the FFL provides greater security and helps avoid scams