Buying kettlebells advise

Jacack

WKR
Looking to add kettlebell workouts no real gym stores around , looking at amazon. What weights should a beginner get? I am not a super strong guy 5ft 9 around 165 .

Any brands better than others? These all seem the same but figured I would ask.

Jared

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I find that my 24kg is a good all around weight. I also have a 28kg and a 32kg which I use but the 24kg is pretty much the "standard" for men if you buy into the strongfirst/pavel thing which I do.

The problem I find with lighter KBs like 12, 16 etc is that you get too strong for them fairly quickly and then you just have these things sitting in the corner. Even though Ive worked my way up to doing hard workouts with the 32kg, I still use the 24kg most days and get great workouts with it.

MAke sure you get a quality kettlebell like something from rogue or the identical thing on amazon (but with different markings) like the ones I linked by rep fitness. The cheap ones have skinny handles which suck and the texture is usually slippery. you may also want to get some rock climbing chalk.

Also, dont get crappy kettlebells, get something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Rep-Kettlebe...ds=kettlebell&qid=1552699017&s=gateway&sr=8-6

BUT DEFINITLY NOT THESE: I REPEAT, NOT THESE:

https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Viny...ds=kettlebell&qid=1552699062&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Yes4All-Viny...ds=kettlebell&qid=1552699062&s=gateway&sr=8-3

NorCalFD

FNG
35lb Rogue KB’s are the gold standard. Rogue makes great equipment. $$ but it’ll last a couple lifetimes.

If you came into my gym I would have you learn Turkish Get ups with a 12kg bell, learn clean and press and 1 hand swings with a 16kg bell and learn 2 hand swings with a 20kg bell
https://www.kettlebellkings.com/kettlebell-set-the-knights-powder-coat-kettlebell-set/

+1. I would say take a class or two. Well worth it IMO.

As far as bells go, if you just want to give it a try, Craigslist or Walmart is a place for something cheap. My bells are a mix of Rogue and Onnit. Both really good.

For weight, stay light especially at first. You can destroy yourself both muscles and cardio with a 35# kettlebell if you use it right. I am a pretty strong guy and my 16, 20, and 24 kgs get used the most. In fairness, I use other weights for heavy strength training but if you are starting out, it will be a while before you should start using a heavy kettlebell.

WKR
35, 53, 70 lbs (16, 24, 32 kg) will do almost everything you'll ever need or want to do.

We have Rogue and they are excellent. I also have some from Perform Better that I do not like nearly as much. Slippery finish isn't my favorite

renagde

WKR
Get a 35lb yes4all frome amazon. Free prime shipping. It's the cheapest you'll get into the game. That weight will kick your ass for a long time. Learn good posture and form and once you outgrow those, get something heavier. No use spending crazy money for Rogue when you're not even sure you like them.

Clarktar

WKR

wesfromky

WKR
I have mostly rep KBs, and they have been great. I started with a 12kg from Onnit, and quickly added a bunch more from Rep (free shipping!). Even though you can work up with KB swings pretty quickly, there are still a ton of other exerses you can do, even with pretty light ones., like bell up shoulder presses. The heavy ones are great for carries as well as light deadlifts.

Ddidier

FNG
I would highly recommend Rogue equipment. Again faster is another brand worth looking into, but I tend to lean towards Rogue. I’d go with the 35lb to get started.

LitenFast

WKR
Fringesport is also worth checking out. Free shipping and good quality. Cheaper than the rep fitness brand on amazon above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I got my heavy kettlebells from Walmart and eBay. They regularly have coupons plus free shipping. The UPS man still jokes about the heavy little boxes that arrived at my house.

Fringe sport has some sales from time to time. i have a couple of theirs and they are fine. I have 15, 25 and 35lb ones. I normally just use them for light stuff since i have a rack and barbell weights now.

ortho004

FNG
I’ve had good luck with kettlebell kings stuff. The ‘gym’ in my basement started with kettlebells and has grown to include a suspension trainer, plyo box, and doubles of a wide range of KBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
Have done some KB shopping on ebay, craigslist, Wal-Mart, and Amazon. Amazon prime members get free shipping, even on the heavier versions.

EmperorMA

WKR
Pretty hard to beat one 24kg and two 16kg kettlebells for a combo that gets you a ton of exercises.

I have doubles from 8kg up to 20kg as well as single 24kg and 32kg kettlebells, some from Onnit and some from Rogue.

I've gotten all mine from amazon. I'd say start around 35, you can probably add on pretty quickly. I'd also recommend finding a class to learn the movements. Kettlebells are great only downside is when you get stronger you have to buy a new one and they're not cheap. I started with a 35, went to a 60, now my 80 is too light, but I don't wanna drop the cash on a 90.