Buying my first muzzleloader

I'm looking to get my first ML. I expect to use it primarily in NY where scopes are permitted, but also want to be able to use it down the road in CO, where scopes are not permitted. If I choose a ML that has open sights, will i still be able to use them if i mount a rail to it?

Also open to any recommendations on specific models too. I was looking at the Traditions G4 Ultralight.

I really like my cva accura v2. I have to use open sights where I live but I’ll be able to mount a scope to it if I draw a tag where I can. It’s the most accurate muzzleloader I’ve had with open sights and I think that it will be more impressive with a scope. I got the blackhorn breachplug for it and have had great groups using federal borelokt bullets and blackhorn powder. You might be able to see the sights with a rail on it, but you’d still need to resight it in so I don’t know if it would matter. I think it’s a great rifle and a great value.

I second the accura v2. I have one, great loader for the price. They don’t make them anymore so new you’d have to go with the MRX or LRX. What’s your budget? If you can swing it I would buy once, cry once and recommend the paramount especially if you want to go to CO down the road for their loader season. My 2 cents

Slugz

WKR
If you are looking to go light then none better than the G4. People are amazed all the time when they grab my sons and compare it in weight.

Fordguy

WKR
The optima (mistakenly said accura) v2 is a nice, accurate, easy cleaning gun, but buy one where you can check the trigger pull. I ordered mine and it has such a light trigger that it's dangerous to cock it if you're not already settled exactly where you want to shoot. I mean, it goes off when your finger touches the trigger, not when you press. I'm used to rifles that have a 2.5-3 lb trigger. That said, I've bounced the butt pad against the floor with it cocked (unloaded) and the trigger doesn't break.

Last edited:
I have a CVA Optima. Little cheaper option than the accura but it holds great groups out to 150 yards for me. Really haven't tried to shoot past that. Have killed two bucks here in Oklahoma with a scope. Then have pulled the scope for Colorado and have killed a bear and my brother killed a bull with open sights. The powerbelt aerolite bullets have worked great for me.

Optimas for the price are hard to beat. You just need to match the correct muzzleloader with your expectations/ needs.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I also live in NY and I hunt with a Thompson Center Arms Impact muzzleloader. It came with glo dot iron sights and I put a bushnell scope on it. I really like it so far and feel that it would be easy to take the scope off and use the iron sights. It is very accurate and easy to clean. If I was you I would either go with TC or CVA brand muzzleloader

Rich M

WKR
Get a stainless .50 cal Optima with iron sights that is drilled and tapped. Put a scope on it for home use and take it off for CO.

I've got one.

ToolMann

WKR
The optima (mistakenly said accura) v2 is a nice, accurate, easy cleaning gun, but buy one where you can check the trigger pull. I ordered mine and it has such a light trigger that it's dangerous to cock it if you're not already settled exactly where you want to shoot. I mean, it goes off when your finger touches the trigger, not when you press. I'm used to rifles that have a 2.5-3 lb trigger. That said, I've bounced the butt pad against the floor with it cocked (unloaded) and the trigger doesn't break.
My Optima trigger is very light as well. I always tell anyone I'm letting shoot it to be ready, and they still never are.

stevie

Lil-Rokslider
There has been talk of the MR-X/LR-X in 45 cal with oversized bore. If you want a 45 be aware that CVA knows of the issue and not willing to fix. CVA recommends only powerbelt or sabot only. If you want to shoot bore to bullet you may have issues.

I have a 45 cal MR-X, the muzzle is choked and barrel opens up around 6 inches down. Properly sized bullet will lose resistance around 6 inches and will only take a couple pounds pressure to push down from there. Could be a safety issue is bullet moves forward if not paying attention.

URE_G

FNG
Another vote for CVA Accura V2. Love mine. Easy to clean and accurate. so far mine shoots everything well, Barnes and Harvester is what I have been shooting the most with it.

GMB54-120

Lil-Rokslider
Optima V2 in plain jane black/SS is the most affordable option and its a rather simple design. Add nitrite for around another $80ish iirc but i find plane SS to be just fine. The Optima V2 is as light or lighter than most of the Accura line and wont set you back $500.

You could not give me a Traditions. No SS and some plastic parts are used to get the weight down.

OP
Kbhillhunter
Optima V2 in plain jane black/SS is the most affordable option and its a rather simple design. Add nitrite for around another $80ish iirc but i find plane SS to be just fine. The Optima V2 is as light or lighter than most of the Accura line and wont set you back $500.

You could not give me a Traditions. No SS and some plastic parts are used to get the weight down.

That's exactly what I ended up getting, optima V2 SS. i love it, can't wait to sight it in

Stalker69

WKR
If you really want the black powder experience, every state legal, not looking to spend much. Buy a Lyman, they are rifled either round ball or conical. Or find a custom rifle maker and get as fancy as you like. I have a knight in line and a T/C Hawken and a Lyman. And although the knight shoots good( as do the others) hunting with it does not even feel the same.

Last edited: