Buying Old Swaro's or Zeiss Glass?

wapiti208

FNG
So I am finally considering spending the money for some high end glass like swaro's or zeiss . My question is, is there any advantage to buying new versions of the EL's over older models ? Or are they pretty much the same? I am not set on Swarovski's i would take any of the top three. TIA.

The ELs got their current optical system in 2009. (2010 for 32s)

The SLC42s in 2010, 56s in 2013 (HD SNs start with C or N).

The CLs got a new design in 2018.

Optically, going older than those years will still be a good bino, but not as good optically.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up some used Leica Ultravid HD+'s from the forum here. They are very nice. Great low light performance, super clear picture, easy to focus, reasonable weight, didnt get a migraine after looking through them for an extended period of time. Couldn't be happier.

OP
wapiti208

wapiti208

FNG
I have no issue buying used high end glass. I got a great deal on so
I have no issue buying used high end glass. I got a great deal on some el's from a member on here a few years ago and have been really happy with them.

Nor do I. I just don't have the time to geek out and find out all the changes in models of glass year to year. So I thought I would ask here. Just to make sure I don't over pay for glass I thought was better then it is.

OP
wapiti208

wapiti208

FNG
I just picked up some used Leica Ultravid HD+'s from the forum here. They are very nice. Great low light performance, super clear picture, easy to focus, reasonable weight, didnt get a migraine after looking through them for an extended period of time. Couldn't be happier.
yeah my range finder is a Leica and the glass in that is impressive for being just a range finder. I definitely wouldn't turn down Leica's for the right deal

Nor do I. I just don't have the time to geek out and find out all the changes in models of glass year to year. So I thought I would ask here. Just to make sure I don't over pay for glass I thought was better then it is.
Oh gotcha. Like one of the guys posted above me said, just get something from 2010 or newer and you'll be good to go. Look for the serial number and it'll tell you when they were made. Good luck with finding new binos!

OP
wapiti208

wapiti208

FNG
Used high end glass is the place to be, IMO. Buy 10 years old while everyone else chase marginal improvements with major price jumps.
The problem is . Sometimes people want the same money for 10years old as 2 days old

Peregrine1

WKR
Classified Approved
The problem is . Sometimes people want the same money for 10years old as 2 days old

True and true...

My first swaro was a 2001 EL 8.5x42 purchased on local classifieds for $1100...i don’t know if it’s a sentimental thing or they were actually that great, but they are still one of my favorite glasses ever, even though I’ve owned everything money can buy that’s come out since then. There was something calming about looking through them at wildlife for hours on end...first time for truly no eye fatigue.

Swaros hold their value quite well so, as long as you don’t overpay for them, you can purchase any generation without losing too much money long term.

They have gotten better over the years...the NLs are unmatched for wide angle, high-def resolution wildlife viewing, IMO...but you’re paying a lot more to have the very best, because there’s some dang good glass out there for half the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OutdoorAg

WKR
IMO…even more of a reason to take a swing on used alphas. You can know that if you pay $1450 for some older ELs, you can sell them for $1400. Or $1350. Talking about renting high end glass for $50/year, effectively. I’ll take that.

OP
wapiti208

wapiti208

FNG
IMO…even more of a reason to take a swing on used alphas. You can know that if you pay $1450 for some older ELs, you can sell them for $1400. Or $1350. Talking about renting high end glass for $50/year, effectively. I’ll take that.
That’s a good perspective, I am always thinking about resale.

OutdoorAg

WKR
That’s a good perspective, I am always thinking about resale.
Same. It’s the main reason I don’t take a chance on any of the great $500-700 glass. I know it’s good, like the Conquest, MHG, etc. But I also know I’ll take a bath on resale.

OP
wapiti208

wapiti208

FNG
Yep I am sitting on first gen vortex razor 65mm spotter that I can unload because I paid 1200 for and they are on sale for 900 new . 🤦‍♂️ That’s probably the main reason I won’t buy vortex again.

I have an older pair of swaro el 10x42s I picked up for $1000. My two buddies have the new version and after passing them around looking through each other’s we all 3 agreed there was maybe a slight difference if anything, but likely we thought there was because we knew which ones were we. We also agreed that it certainly wasn’t a $1500 difference. I’m very happy with my glasses but have also been impressed with leicas. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either used myself.