Buying/Selling/Shipping Firearms without FFL

blackdawg

WKR
The local FFL dealers either will not ship at all, or will not accept shipments or ship for me if I don't purchase through their business. I can understand their stance, but their increased markup isn't really going to work for my budget. The biggest problem is I really need to sell a couple before making a purchase. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
Sell on a forum like this and you the individual can mail to the purchasers FFL.

In state, meet wherever you please and sell it face to face

There has to be a FFL in your area that will do transfers for a reasonable rate, $25 or so. Type your zip into the gun broker FFL finder and start calling around

http://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/dealernetwork/

Selling you can mail it to an FFL. No worries there.
Receiving is when you need the FFL on your end. Most "gun shops" near me refuse or charge an exorbitant fee. I found a local pawn shop that would receive for me for a very reasonable fee. Might be worth a look.

Esse quam videri

Cabelas has shipped for me from their gun library for 25 bucks. It was very easy and convenient. Surprised it's so hard to find a dealer to receive got you. Try a local pawn shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GKPrice

Banned
I too have experienced FFL's that have a DEFINITE attitude about transfers, seems as if they'd rather grouse about not selling "their" merchandise instead of taking $25 in their palm for some simple paperwork (stupidity knows no bounds)
Eugene OR established a "rule" that no FFL in city limits can do a transfer from a private party (at least that is what I was told), Springfield has a great independent shop that does them gladly
If you are sending to a FFL the USPS is the most consistent to deal with, be sure to insure it, still about the same as UPS (which has had seemingly "anti-gun" rules without an FFL in hand)

OP
B

blackdawg

WKR
Thanks for all the information, this is why I get on this site! Clearly helped the cause! Thanks for the gunbroker site listing, can make some calls to a few small guys that I didn't know about. It is what it is with the bigger local sporting good dealers, they haven't figured out that the rural customer isn't isolated from information as we once were. I own a local business and try to buy locally if at all possible, but if they don't patronize our business, provide some reasonable amount of service at theirs and then attempt to price gouge me, I know where my future purchase will not be. Time to post up a few for sale.

okie john

FNG
I'm fortunate enough to live near several dealers who will ship and receive for me. I also spend a lot in each of their shops. If any of them were to give me a hard time about it, I'd take my business down the road.

I prefer to use a dealer to ship and to receive. I get the impression that the employees in UPS and Fedex shops around here make up rules about what they can and can't ship. Using an FFL holder eliminates dealing with these idiots. They transfer firearms all the time so they know how to do it legally and safely. I get to deal with an experienced, understanding professional rather than an ignorant and potentially vindictive shitbird, and the receiver gets the gun in accordance with the law whenever they want rather than having to wait for a UPS truck to arrive and deal with another ignorant and potentially vindictive shitbird. It costs a little more, but it's definitely worth it.

Okie John

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've sold three guns just on Rokslide and shipped those guns via Fedex to their local FFL's. Piece of cake. Also sold to another somewhat local member that drove down and we met at a local FFL to do the transfer for $20.