Buying Used Tripods?

marktole

WKR
Looking at buying a new tripod, my Slik 634 has a leg that just pulled apart after three years of faithful service.

Does anyone have any suggestions for forums to check where a guy could find a decent tripod used? Maybe photography or birding forums? Or other places besides forums?

Also, if anyone has feedback from the list of tripods I am looking at below, that would be great. Will be used for 10x50 binos and an 85mm spotter. The Slik 634 was a good lightweight tripod, but looking to beef it up just a tad for a little more stability with the spotter in the wind or using it standing.

Sirui R2204
Sirui N-1204SK/2204SK
Sirui W-1204
Slik 734/834
Other suggestions?

4ester

WKR
I bet you can contact Slik and get some replacement parts.

I’d just keep an eye out in the classified section here on Rokslide. Cameraland has good discounts for rokslide members too.

For backpacking I wouldn’t want to carry much more then the 634 or 734. If your looking for something to use from the truck then maybe look at an aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
marktole

marktole

WKR
I bet you can contact Slik and get some replacement parts.

I’d just keep an eye out in the classified section here on Rokslide. Cameraland has good discounts for rokslide members too.

For backpacking I wouldn’t want to carry much more then the 634 or 734. If your looking for something to use from the truck then maybe look at an aluminum.

Slik 634 is 2# or so. I figured a tripod that weighs 3# would still be acceptable if it got me some more stability. All the ones I listed were right around 3-3.5#. Was also planning to call Slik to see what a new leg would cost.

4ester

WKR
The Slik 634 (no head) weighs right at 2 lbs. With the VA-5 head my setup is 3.2lbs.

I could see a little heavier, but as with everything it’s a give and take.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Look for a used Gitzo on Craigslist/Kijiji. I got a great deal on one. There are always used Gitzos in the bigger cities for sure.

Look for a used Gitzo on Craigslist/Kijiji. I got a great deal on one. There are always used Gitzos in the bigger cities for sure.

Seems there are several models of the Gitzo's on ebay. which model should I look for?>