Bye bye Garmin

Pro953

WKR
That’s pretty exciting. It would be good to have some more competition in this area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
It will be interesting to see how it goes. I just read an article about it, seems that a lot of rural municipalities and state agencies are concerned over interference these might cause, as Satpaq will be operating near the same frequency range as the point-to-point microwave systems used for rural or remote communications.
Just reading about it, I’d have some initial concerns about battery life and about connectivity. They are connecting to satellites that are way further out than Iridium (which spot and inreach use), so my guess is it needs a lot more transmit power than InReach or spot. Also the article I read said the app used your phone compass to orient the antenna towards the right satélite, so it sounds like you’d need line of sight to a specific sat. Down in a big valley or thick timber might be an issue? Anyways, it is good to see some more options in this arena, I’m interested to see where this one goes.

Competition is always a good thing. That being said, my Garmin InReach mini with Earthmate app work just fine so this would have to prove to be a big upgrade for me to change.

bmf0713

WKR
I looked into these and decided to go with the inreach. I spend thousands of dollars on hunting gear and tags so I’m not gonna complain over $11/month. I don’t believe these have an SOS button and totally rely on the phone for use. I have a new iPhone 10 and it’s the biggest piece of shit I’ve ever seen. I’m not gonna depend on my phone for everything. At least with the inreach you can use the phone and/or just use the inreach device itself.

CorbLand

WKR
Like pricing? ;)

They are going to have to come way down in pricing to make it that big of a difference. The product itself isn’t much less than a mini and the texting isn’t that much cheaper either. Unless your sending a ton of texts, the difference isn’t there to justify changing. Plus you have to purchase it all up front meaning in order to get the cheapest text amount you have to outlay 1700 up front. That’s the equivalent to running an inReach for three years on the unlimited plan

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
"Bye Bye Garmin" seems a little strong. I assume technology will get us to the point where we'll be able to access data on our phones as if we are in wifi but on Satellite. I think we are a ways out. I assume Garmin will get us there. Glad there is competition.

we will be communicating via satellite 100% in our lifetime. Probably not too far away. 20 years ago mobile phones were pretty rare. now everyone has one. Satellite phones will be that way soon. I suspect that in 20 years a satellite phone will be as common as cell phone is today.

ODB

WKR
we will be communicating via satellite 100% in our lifetime. Probably not too far away. 20 years ago mobile phones were pretty rare. now everyone has one. Satellite phones will be that way soon. I suspect that in 20 years a satellite phone will be as common as cell phone is today.

I don’t think that will be the case simply due to maintenance/obsolescence. It’s still cheaper to send a guy up a tower to repair a dead cell than fix/replace a satellite. And remember, space isn’t ours, our land is. There are strategic reasons to keep our comms under our control.

Trial153

WKR
This will be a game changer when they add phone use to the mix, meaning your cell phone is now a sat phone. If it that mean increased cost for a plan with basic calling.

tdhanses

WKR

I don’t see this happening, it is far cheaper to have a land based network and with how quickly technology is advancing, any new satellite tech will be obsolete in 2 years. It’ll not be cost effective to update satellites especially at the rate we see land based networks updated.

tdhanses

WKR
This will be a game changer when they add phone use to the mix, meaning your cell phone is now a sat phone. If it that mean increased cost for a plan with basic calling.

You’ll have to get the phone manufacturers on board and telecoms, don’t see this happpening with the push to 5G, the money isn’t in Satellite tech and while I think it would be great for the small number of us that would utilize it, the numbers just aren’t there.

I do think as satellites are replaced and have newer tech we’ll see better service through products like garmin.

WTFJohn

WKR
Starlink (SpaceX) will eventually offer nationwide broadband via their mircosat network (already have some in orbit & functioning). You'll be able to use your phone with that network. That still won't replace my inReach mini (or similar) for a while; there is an extra factor of safety with a standalone device that I feel is necessary when solo (over 100 days so far this year, dozens of messages, weather updates, etc all without a single issue).

OP has a hard-on for Garmin because of a bad experience with a 66i, and takes every chance he can to talk poorly of them.