BYU or University of Utah for daughter?

Billinsd,

I have a 16 year old daughter and feel your pain. However, making sure they have a good head on their shoulders is really all you can do. Is BYU conservative, yes, but she will also be pressured by all of her friends experiences. And yes, MANY go to college with meeting their future spouse in mind. I have never interview so many graduates that are married and either already have a child or are pregnant with their first. Also a large number of women I have interviewed that are married and do not have children are looking for a job while their husband finishes school. It is just a very different culture.

A few have mentioned Utah State in Logan, it is a nice area and a school to consider if it has to be Utah. If not, you could also look into NAU (Northern Arizona University), University of Idaho, Montana State or even Boise State. All schools in conservative areas. I would argue, all schools that would provide a better education.

Where to go (or in your case where to send her) to college is a really difficult decision. It will be a very important part of who she is for the next several years.

I'd like something in the middle, is that possible?
In my experience no. All the parties, drinking, sex can be found as easily at a state "party" school as well as a private Christian school. You can also find people at both schools who have no desire to participate in those activities, or do occasionally but are focused primarily on their education.

Dont tell me you're talking about the Provo Soak! lmao its not sex if you're not moving

Oh man this made me laugh hahaha. I was very much unaware of the term “soaking” until my wife and I moved to ID.

I have some very strong opinions on the scenario of being non-LDS and moving into a very heavy LDS area. So OP, if you want to message me privately for some of those thoughts, I’d be willing to divulge outside a public forum.

I don't know that this is necessarily accurate. For the record, I'm not a BYU guy, but I know a number of people with degrees from there, and they do well in the workforce. Their Chem-Eng. program places a lot of graduates in high-paying petroleum industry jobs, which are very competitive. Not sure what kind of positions Dan is recruiting for, but maybe it just doesn't attract the cream of the crop there.

I’ve worked with a handful of BYU grads that were chem-e’s and I have been very unimpressed by every single one of them. Entitlement will get you nowhere quick in the workforce and they mostly thought that their piece of paper from BYU would be all they’d need to wave around instead of working hard.

Regardless of the program of study, you get out of it what you put into it. I went to a little state school back east that was definitely not known for it’s science and engineering programs but I’ve worked my behind off and continue to do so to get where I am today and to keep furthering my education and knowledge.

A wise man once told me that a degree is simply an invitation to the game- you still have to work hard and play.

Jaker_cc

WKR
She's interested in going to school in Utah. My in laws live in South Jordan. She loves to ski!!! Right about gaining experience etc. I don't really want or expect her to go to a convent. I'd like her to go to a school with more not less kids from Conservative traditional backgrounds. Those kids make mistakes and get into trouble of course. Where we are now in San Diego in the public schools, charter schools even the majority of kids like 70% are from broken homes. 30% broken homes would be nice. My kids complain to me about the other kids.

Please forgive me if my post came across as trying to tell you how to raise your daughter, I just reread it and in no way was that my intent. Sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders and two parents who care about her very much. That puts her ahead of the game in my opinion. Best of luck in your families decision.

ahlgringo

WKR
An alternative would be u of Alaska. She becomes a resident and you go hunt sheep and goats with her every year she is there. Father daughter time, Then she meets a nice Alaska boy with a plane and you hunt without a guide the rest of your life.

Oh man,
I have 2 younger girls, I am pushing for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weber State University in Ogden has a great nursing and education program if your daughter wants to pursue either of those paths. I have two siblings who graduated from WSU in education (secondary math and elementary education) and my best friend graduated from WSU with a nursing degree.

My brother-in-law and a cousin graduated from Utah State with degrees in engineering. My wife also graduated from Utah State with a dual major in education (secondary math) and geography.

Ogden and Logan are great places that are jumping off points to some great outdoor adventures.

Good luck!

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
An alternative would be u of Alaska. She becomes a resident and you go hunt sheep and goats with her every year she is there. Father daughter time. Then she meets a nice Alaska boy with a plane and you hunt without a guide the rest of your life.
If ONLY...

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Does your daughter want to go to school in Utah and either of those schools? That’s more important than any of the other topics.
She has said she'd like to live in Utah, because she likes the outdoors. She knows nothing of either school.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I went to a little state school back east that was definitely not known for it’s science and engineering programs but I’ve worked my behind off and continue to do so to get where I am today and to keep furthering my education and knowledge.

A wise man once told me that a degree is simply an invitation to the game- you still have to work hard and play.
Great minds think a like!!

Mosby

WKR
My daughter goes to Ole Miss and is in her fifth year of a 7 year BS/PharmD program. When she was in high school they had a 30 day summer program for high school students, with a specific focus on a variety of majors. She stayed in the dorm, ate in the cafeteria, took 2 classes and spent a month on campus. She came home and said she was going to Ole Miss. They gave her a scholarship for the 30 days and the whole thing cost me $500 including credits for the two classes she took. They also offered her an academic scholarship while she was there. Best $500 I have spent in a long time. She loves it there.

Covid will be over at some point and I would see if they have any type of summer program for high school kids at the schools you are thinking about and let her spend time on campus without mom and dad.

I grew up in So Cal and also loved to ski and outdoors. I went to BYU and loved every minute of it. Yes I am a Member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I met my wife there. She grew up in San Diego. We got married after she graduated and didn’t have kids until I graduated and was in Grad school.

I agree with you the types of kids she meets in college will go a long way in determining her long term relationship s

Rokbar

WKR
No, just figure I'd like to spend $200k or less each for each kid's undergrad.
Holy Cow. $200K!!!!!! I have 2 to put through college in the next 10 years. I've already told them 2 years of community college and then transfer on. Sounds as though you put a good head on your daughters shoulders, so she'll do fine wherever she goes!

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
I believe Utah allows you to claim residency after living there and going to school for 1 year. If cost is an issue consider Utah Valley University for a year and then a transfer to UofU. I have attended both BYU and UofU. I loved BYU, but if you are not LDS there are better options out there for you.

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get is twisted, Mormons get the same urges every 18 yr old does. In fact Mormons are pretty creative satisfying those urges while maintaining ones purity. I wont burst your bubble on here, just google it if your curious.
Dont tell me you're talking about the Provo Soak! lmao its not sex if you're not moving
Yeah, I don't think that's really a "thing". Not say it has never happened but no one thinks they are "marinating purity" and slipping one past God haha. All joking aside, how your kid is raised and where their morals stand are more important than where they go to school. They can go to BYU, UofU, or any where else and find people who party, do drugs, and fornicate if they want to. Likewise they can find friends with good moral values almost anywhere. Maybe not everywhere these days!

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Holy Cow. $200K!!!!!! I have 2 to put through college in the next 10 years. I've already told them 2 years of community college and then transfer on. Sounds as though you put a good head on your daughters shoulders, so she'll do fine wherever she goes!
My daughter is EXTREMELY logical.
Problem is she is INTENSE like her dad. She's extremely deep and genuine like her dad and extremely vulnerable to the opposite sex like her dad!! I grew up spoiled rotten and my dad lost everything when I went to college and got cancer and died. What a rude awakening I had. I worked my ass off at a state college and will write pretty much a blank check for my kids college, so long as they aren't screwing off! I got a fantastic pension, pretty much get in retirement what I'm making now. I'm a semi tiger mom, helicopter dad in recovery. Honestly I want what's best for my kids!! I'm like a female salmon swimming upstream almost ready to spawn. Only spawn to me is getting kids through college and a good job. Then I will keel over and die or better yet hunt my brains out!!

Last edited: