CA A 110 South

J Batt

WKR
Thanks. I don't have a pic of the one from this season. The digital camera I brought died before I got him. But he was just a nice young forkie. Last season was from the same area. I have a picture somewhere but the phone I took it on is gone. He was a more mature forkie.
I just started hunting 4 seasons ago. Only went out a couple times when I was younger.
So far I've killed two in A-zone and one in D-13.
I enjoy the fact that Southern California appears so bleak and devoid of wildlife. I didn't even think it was possible to find bucks around here until I started seriously hunting.

J Batt

WKR
Here's last season. I was kinda bummed to take them so early in the season, but feel dumb passing up opportunities since I'm a newbie.

Attachments

• 147CF241-C4E7-46A3-9C70-96E7A7067114.jpeg
    147CF241-C4E7-46A3-9C70-96E7A7067114.jpeg
    494.5 KB · Views: 49
  • B3ECC694-4F90-4C38-96B1-DED3165D4611.jpeg
    B3ECC694-4F90-4C38-96B1-DED3165D4611.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 48

BKasaback

FNG
Thanks for posting, a few guys in my archery league filled a few tags this year. I’m excited to start really scouting it out for next year. (I’m close to the D-13 area)

If you don’t mind me asking, did you do a lot of scouting prior to the season? Any backpacking in? Or just day hunts?
Scouting is key if you want to increase your success rate exponentially. D13 and A south is tough hunting, terrain and climate (A south mostly warm hunting season) and low density deer. Quality bucks are much easier to find if you pre season scout. Weather is important to watch, high temp weekends should be avoided. Not only is it miserable but the deer go almost full nocturnal. A few scouting trips lasting a night or two, even short evening hikes will be a huge advantage. Myself and hunting partners have hunted Los Padres in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties for about 8 years with decent success and dandy bucks.

Last edited:

BKasaback

FNG
Scouting is key if you want to increase your success rate exponentially. D13 and A south is tough hunting, terrain and climate (A south mostly warm hunting season) and low density deer. Quality bucks are much easier to find if you pre season scout. Weather is important to watch, high temp weekends should be avoided. Not only is it miserable but the deer go almost full nocturnal. A few scouting trips lasting a night or two, even short evening hikes will be a huge advantage. Myself and hunting partners have hunted Los Padres in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties for about 8 years with decent success and dandy bucks.
Thank you very much for your insight! I’m excited to start exploring more in areas close to me.