CA A-Zone Deer Habitat

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Hey gents, I’m new to hunting California blacktail (have hunted mule deer, elk, antelope out of state). What type of vegetation should I be looking at in A-Zone North? Deer don’t eat the manzanita correct? Any type of brush or sage in A-Zone that makes for good deer habitat? I’ve trekked around Knoxville in the past and notice it turns into some sort of sage in the higher elevations- is this deer country? Any pics would be helpful- thanks

JNDEER

WKR
North A zone... deer are typically where you find them... there locations tend to change based on human pressure and predator pressure way more then simple feed habitat. Seen them in velvet in the tallest thickest brush and also seen them just chilling under the oaks.

MeatBuck

WKR
If you've been to Knoxville, you were in the middle of prime habitat, heavily pressured habitat but that's the type of country you want to be looking at.
Unfortunately there's a better chance of seeing the deer at Knoxville during turkey season and leading up to archery season than during the general season.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gents- going to scout Cache Creek Wildlife area - near Wilson Valley. I have a horse so I can get back pretty far. Just wondering if you see any deer in that “higher elevation” area that looks like nothing but brush (at least what it looks like from OnX aerial). I’ll find out for myself but figured I’d ask if anyone knows if that terrain holds deer at all? I plan on taking some trails and vear off at some point to get away from areas people will be

JNDEER

WKR
Knox or Cache right now you will be able to glass up deer, but those deer will not be in those spots come July/August. End of June get out and get to a nob and glass. That will be the only way to know where the deer are.

In July I have found them on the tops of the hills, next to the creek, baking in the sun or in secluded brushy draws that had a spring. Sometimes getting further back is not always a means for finding more animals. Again- in these areas the deer are where you find them. Some years I see more bucks near the road/creek bottom then back miles away from the nearest road.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
@JNDEER ... ya I’d expect the location they are now won’t be the same location they are come summer but these aren’t migratory deer, doesn’t get cold enough. I’ll be checking out spots for hogs/turkeys as well. Doubt I’ll see pig sign but figure I’ll glass for it all see what I come up with

MeatBuck

WKR
Once you've got it all scouted out and are ready go hunt on opening day, remember that the Hmongs have gotten into those areas over the past few years since the last burn. There will likely be a half dozen or more Toyotas parked at each of the trailheads and anywhere they can park and access along the road. Just another few dozen guys to watch out for during the general season.
Also there's a lot more yuppie hikers out in the ccwa than I've ever seen in the past. I think that dorky berryessa vista trail selfie crowd has found the trail system there too. Fb, instagram and that geocache site bring the strange to the hills. Some of whom become visibly uneasy at the sight of a shotgun toting turkey hunter.
Another thing to consider is the elk population back in there. The past few years they seem to be more prevalent along the creek and the deer seem to steer clear of them. Had trail cams that in the past have had only bucks on them but now only elk.
And lastly, there's a large group of horse riders that do a meet up thing back in there every year, you'll know by the number of horse tracks to animal sightings if they've been there recently.
But like most of the public land we have, there are still a few bucks to be killed.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It depends on what part of A-Zone North you are planning on hunting. There's over 1 million acres of public land in the North Unit to hunt. Which areas of the Unit do you plan to try?

Edit: I saw your target area in the follow up post. I haven't been out the way in about 7 years so feel free to completely ignore me haha.

Get out there in June and glass as much as you can. Going out now and trying to glass them up and pattern them hasn't worked in the past for me. Find the creeks and streams, also look for springs... There used to be a few year round springs where the deer would bed down in the brush all day. I've also glassed groups of them feeding up the North facing sides of the steeper slopes.

Be prepared to come up with another game plan once the season starts... Have multiple target areas that you've identified in the early Summer. I've heard it gets really crowded out that way and you need to adapt. Don't discount areas "that aren't far enough back in"...There is no such thing with A zone blacktails in that area.

Last edited:

MeatBuck

WKR
It has not been my experience to find deer bedded near water. That's in my opinion asking for predators to come into their (bedroom) comfort zone. Ever watch a deer come to water? As paranoid as a crackhead on a week long bender. That's because predators use the same water sources and the deer know that. U may jump them near water but in my experience it's not out of a bed, merely coincidence.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gents... did some scouting for pig last weekend and starting to ID some of the vegetation and do some more research on it. Found a lot of pig/deer sign bordering oak/chamise brush fields. Has anyone ever seen either pig or deer bedded in chamise? It’s everywhere and thick as hell

Attachments

• B2E4CBF7-CDE3-490E-ACA9-77C824FF6F32.jpeg
    B2E4CBF7-CDE3-490E-ACA9-77C824FF6F32.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 874972BC-C250-40A3-98F9-5091EDCF5791.jpeg
    874972BC-C250-40A3-98F9-5091EDCF5791.jpeg
    691.7 KB · Views: 43
  • B2C0B3BA-4EC1-4D40-8D67-6F2FBB1DF13D.jpeg
    B2C0B3BA-4EC1-4D40-8D67-6F2FBB1DF13D.jpeg
    480.1 KB · Views: 44

jfs82

WKR
I see plenty of deer in chamise areas, plenty of it around in the areas the photos above are from, no pigs where I am though.

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Ok good to know- did some research and sounds like they will typically eat chamise first few years of a burn only... the area I took those pics that chamise is long over a few years old and is thick as snot for miles. I’m thinking the deer can’t get to far back into that stuff

Azone

WKR
Areas that did not burn that are bordering fresh burns will be your friend. Pigs love nasty thick hell holes to bed up in to avoid the mid day heat. Chamise or "red brush" as alot my friends and I call it along with shady north facing poison oak patches will almost
always hold animals. As mentioned in a previous post the lions and coyotes are using the same water as the hogs and deer most of the time. So the paranoid tweaker bit definitely rings true, bucks do not hang out long at a water sources, they're in and out.

MeatBuck

WKR
Ok good to know- did some research and sounds like they will typically eat chamise first few years of a burn only... the area I took those pics that chamise is long over a few years old and is thick as snot for miles. I’m thinking the deer can’t get to far back into that stuff

You'd be surprised at how deep into that stuff I've found skulls and sheds.
Go walk around in it after a burn. You'll see just how deep into that stuff they can get. Even with velvet antlers I've seen them in the thick of it.

jfs82

WKR
You'd be surprised at how deep into that stuff I've found skulls and sheds.
Go walk around in it after a burn. You'll see just how deep into that stuff they can get. Even with velvet antlers I've seen them in the thick of it.

I'd agree with this, they can find little trails through it and be way, way in there where you'd never see them without being up above to look down into it.

brushape

WKR
I keep hearing feed meantioned in here. From the time the oats start drying up untill the acorns drop blacktail basically starve themselves in a zone. This typically ends up being about then second week of archery till the last 2 weeks of rifle. I’m fortunate to have some great private land in a zone with a healthy deer population and at times I’ve seen bucks not leave a bed for 3 days during this period. You can use this to your advantage by finding those dark safe bedding areas and still hunting them or planning your trips to focus on those times where you’ll see the most activity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk