CA accuracy problem

Wileyone

FNG
Hello everyone, new guy here. I purchased a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC in November, used Talked rings and a Steiner Predator 4 6-24x50,I have my own range so I took it out, couldn't shoot anything near the sub moa.
Took it to my gun smith(38 years as a master gunsmith ) he removed the scope and found that the dealer who mounted the scope failed to clean the grease from the screw holes, he cleaned everything up, remounted and lock tighter the base to proper torque, then mounted the scope, again torqued to spec. I took the rifle back out and shot a tight 5bshot group group, being 5 days before deer season I stopped there. Unfortunately due to things beyond my control I only got to hunt 3 days...no luck.
So I take the gun back out because I want to find a good load, so I start by shooting a 5 shot group with factory Hornady 143gr ELD-X, first shot cuts the bullseye at 100 yrds, next shot is inch high, inch and a half to the right, I shoot 5 more shots that look more like I'm patterning a shotgun than shooting what is supposed to be a sub moa rifle, what are some opinions of where to look for my problem ? I don't Chrono the factory loads and this was a 38 degree, sunny day with 7 MPH winds, I shot from a steel bench mounted in concrete, used a Bald Eagle rest for the front and Protektor bag for the rear. I then took my .222 Vixen and shot three consecutive 5 round groups that could be covered with a dime, then tried my .270 win in a Tikka T3x and shot two 5 round groups under an inch. I am satisfied it isn't me. Action screws are a torqued to spec. What's next ? I am very disappointed to say the least. Below are two " groups" I shot that day, I also took shots at the little targets ..pretty horrible if you ask me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_084524871.jpg
    IMG_20220226_084524871.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20220226_084937580.jpg
    IMG_20220226_084937580.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

wyosteve

WKR
My first thought would be the scope since it shot well before your deer season and then went to heck after. Not likely something in the rifle went bad in that time.

OP
W

Wileyone

FNG
What’s next? Call Christensen.
I did, they suggested trying another brand of ammo before sending it in, I explained to them that other ammo is very hard to find. I then ask him what they used for their test...he wouldn't tell.me, but suggested Hornady 143gr ELD-X, I told him I was, he again suggested different ammo, I'm starting to get pissed off, I don't understand why he wouldn't tell me what they use to test for their " under a moa " claim, hell I could have bought a Savage axis and shot better than this. My problem with trying a different brand is I am a southpaw so my selections are limited

4ester

WKR
Just to share info…..for a 6.5 Creedmoor they use 140 ELD-M.

Just went through a return and they put a new tube on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CA’s have been known to have issues. Had a very accomplished gunsmith/reloader friend try to develop loads for one. It looked about like that if not worse and these were hand loads. Had the client send it back and he himself called on the clients behalf to explain what was happening. They ”claim“ to have shot it and it was fine and sent it back to the client. Client sold it as soon as it got to him. Might be a correlation as to why there are always several in the classifieds, no matter the forum. My money is on a “gun” problem not a “scope” or “shooter” problem. You clearly are a capable shooter.

If you can find a different factory box of ammo start there. One would think that no matter how bad your rifle likes or doesn’t like the ammo it could still do better than a 1.5-2” group. That’s fairly poor.

Maybe check stock, barrel is free floated, everything tightened etc.

Then switch out the scope to rule it out If possible.

But I say it’s the rifle personally.

Last edited:
How many rounds through it? I have two CA’s both settled in after 40-50 rounds and are 1/4-1/2 moa guns with the right factory ammo. After break in, my PRC shot the Match stuff way better than precision hunter. In the pics, the match is the .258 moa group. Precision hunter is the other. You can’t just shoot one type of factory ammo and say the gun sucks. You either need to experiment with several different ammo or develop a load for it. 8CC4DFED-9A8B-4A67-81DC-607C00FB7190.jpeg51877923-D342-4416-92FA-CF2B9FA3B845.jpeg

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Personally I would try different ammo if you have some. Then try a different scope.

If the problem continues, send it to Christensen.

Your precision hunter groups are still less than 1 moa assuming that’s shot at 100. His groups are 2”s. There aren’t many rifles I have shot at 100, no matter the ammo, that shot a 2” group.

As he stated above, he is more than capable of sub moa groups.

Yes, rule out the easy stuff first, ammo, stock, action screw free floated barrel, scope…… but it very well could be the rifle.

Last edited:

505Wapiti

WKR
Personal opinion is if action screws, etc., are all properly torqued, I’d try a diff scope. I read plenty of issues about CA arms rifles, but I know plenty of others including myself who have them and they are lasers. Same as my savage rifles people love to bash but shoot ridiculous good 1/2 to 3/4 groups.

OP
W

Wileyone

FNG
My first thought would be the scope since it shot well before your deer season and then went to heck after. Not likely something in the rifle went bad in that time.

Have you used this scope on another rifle?
Has it held zero in the past if you have?
Have you had someone else try and shoot the gun?
No, this scope is what I put on it when I bought the gun, as for letting others shoot it, no I haven't, for one, I can shoot sub moa with my Vixen, my Tikka, and my 700, two, I am a lefty so I'm not sure if being a lefty would have any effect. What is weird is my first shot of the day is right there, then they start moving, and seems like they get worse, could this be a copper fouling issue or maybe a stock issue ? Christensen told me the suggested bullet for this gun was either a 143 ELD-X or the 147eldm. I did notice after cleaning it the last time out that there is a distinct copper color on my lands, maybe I need to try some Sweets or JB bore paste , I only have a total of 120 rounds through this gun. Below are two groups I shot the same day, on the left is my .222 vixen and on the right my Tikka T3x in .270 win both at 100 yrds
CA’s have been known to have issues. Had a very accomplished gunsmith/reloader friend try to develop loads for one. It looked about like that if not worse and these were hand loads. Had the client send it back and he himself called on the clients behalf to explain what was happening. They ”claim“ to have shot it and it was fine and sent it back to the client. Client sold it as soon as it got to him. Might be a correlation as to why there are always several in the classifieds, no matter the forum. My money is on a “gun” problem not a “scope” or “shooter” problem. You clearly are a capable shooter.

If you can find a different factory box of ammo start there. One would think that no matter how bad your rifle likes or doesn’t like the ammo it could still do better than a 1.5-2” group. That’s fairly poor.

Maybe check stock, barrel is free floated, everything tightened etc.

Then switch out the scope to rule it out If possible.

But I say it’s the rifle personally.
Thank you, I tend to agree. I was born and raised in a gun shop that my father owned , and over the years I saw many scope problems, usually due to improper mounting, this just doesn't feel like a scope problem to me, mainly because if I take this gun out today, the first shot will be right there ..then they get worse. I am a little reluctant to send it back to Christensen for the very reason you stated, seems I have been reading more and more posts that say the same thing,..." I sent my gun back and Christensen said it was fine".. but I will try different ammo and check the stock and float, the scope will be a last resort. I have over 30 rifles with Leupold Scopes from 1975 to the present, not a single issue with any of them...ever, so I'm thinking my odds of getting a bad Steiner are pretty slim also...not totally discounting it , but I'd be surprised.

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_181928566.jpg
    IMG_20220221_181928566.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 29
  • original_8baf33d0-7230-46ee-86fa-e7b35301ff30_IMG_20211209_120729803.jpg
    original_8baf33d0-7230-46ee-86fa-e7b35301ff30_IMG_20211209_120729803.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 29

CorbLand

WKR
No, this scope is what I put on it when I bought the gun, as for letting others shoot it, no I haven't, for one, I can shoot sub moa with my Vixen, my Tikka, and my 700, two, I am a lefty so I'm not sure if being a lefty would have any effect. What is weird is my first shot of the day is right there, then they start moving, and seems like they get worse, could this be a copper fouling issue or maybe a stock issue ? Christensen told me the suggested bullet for this gun was either a 143 ELD-X or the 147eldm. I did notice after cleaning it the last time out that there is a distinct copper color on my lands, maybe I need to try some Sweets or JB bore paste , I only have a total of 120 rounds through this gun. Below are two groups I shot the same day, on the left is my .222 vixen and on the right my Tikka T3x in .270 win both at 100 yrds

Thank you, I tend to agree. I was born and raised in a gun shop that my father owned , and over the years I saw many scope problems, usually due to improper mounting, this just doesn't feel like a scope problem to me, mainly because if I take this gun out today, the first shot will be right there ..then they get worse. I am a little reluctant to send it back to Christensen for the very reason you stated, seems I have been reading more and more posts that say the same thing,..." I sent my gun back and Christensen said it was fine".. but I will try different ammo and check the stock and float, the scope will be a last resort. I have over 30 rifles with Leupold Scopes from 1975 to the present, not a single issue with any of them...ever, so I'm thinking my odds of getting a bad Steiner are pretty slim also...not totally discounting it , but I'd be surprised.
Before I went to the effort of sending a gun back I would
1. Take the scope off and remount it or switch it with a known, proven scope and try that.
2. Let someone else shoot it
3. Try a couple different brands/loads for the ammo.

All three of those things will be less time, energy and for some money than sending it back.

Christensen’s either shoot or they don’t. There is little in between. There’s a good possibility it is the gun, but I would start with two of the weakest points of any gun. The scope and the ammo.

Last edited:
I wish this wasn't the first time I have seen a post like this regarding Christensen rifles.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned that I will recommend is to check the action screws. Both of the CA rifles I have helped with at the range had their screws torqued to "Wookie".

If that doesn't work, I would try shooting groups with about 10 minutes between rounds to see if the problem is heat induced. If it is, then check the barrel float both cold and hot.

Wrench

WKR
When I see scope issues, they tend to either be wandering groups...3 or 4 go into a group then the next few form their own, or they just go 2 plus MOA from the gate.

I've been screwed by a cracked ring myself. It did about 2moa from a new benchmark tube with a known good scope. I was thinking it was the tube as it was the only new piece....but found the ring on tear down.

Your precision hunter groups are still less than 1 moa assuming that’s shot at 100. His groups are 2”s. There aren’t many rifles I have shot at 100, no matter the ammo, that shot a 2” group.

As he stated above, he is more than capable of sub moa groups.

Yes, rule out the easy stuff first, ammo, stock, action screw free floated barrel, scope…… but it very well could be the rifle.
Yeah, but my rifle was shooting the precision hunter around 1.5-1.75 moa when I first got it. I have the BATactical and it wasn’t cheap, so I was pretty pissed. Started scrubbing copper out of it and going through the recommended break in process and it cut the precision hunter groups in half. I’ll have to see if I can find some pics of targets of the 1.5” groups. There would always be two touching and a flier.

I also have one of their MPP’s in 308. This is a 300 yard group with cheap factory ammo from freedom munitions. I have about 30 rounds down the pipe, it may tighten up a little more with a few more rounds, but it only has a 12.5” barrel, so I am happy with the results so far.

AC67457E-473B-4D8E-8DF1-8A1250FF573A.jpeg