CA archery hunting worth it anymore?

1woolie89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone I’m back at it as the season approaches, just kind of wanted to see everyone’s take on archery season in California. Last couple years been pretty bad with the wildfires and them “shutting down”all the national forests. It almost seems pointless to get out there or even prep for archery season as it always seems to be on fire around here. Then by the time it lets up it’s already into rifle season.

I guess what I’m getting at is should I just put the bow down for now, and get the rifle out and try some D 16 rifle tag or D 11 and fight the rest of the rifle guys up near Mount Baldy? lol appreciate your guys ‘ thoughts it’s been on my mind since last year or was it the year before when that idiot lit half the mountain on fire by big Bear with a gender reveal lol

Badseed

WKR
California is a crap shoot all around. Im not familiar with your area but I get a general d3-5 and start the season with a bow. If you cant find bucks during archery season while they are still in velvet it gets much tougher as their horns harden up. If I don’t find some promising bucks early on, I go to rifle to finish out the season just to help improve my odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthPaw

WKR
The unpredictable timing of the now annual fire/forest closures adds another layer of complexity to an already difficult hunt. Scout a bunch, prepare with both weapons, and be flexible with the time you can hunt.

Last edited:

JStol5

WKR
Just drew my A31 tag. This might be the last year I make a big push to hunt hard here. It’s so frustrating with bad predator management, hikers, road/forest closures, regulations (can’t carry my sidearm while archery deer hunting no matter how many methheads and bears I see) in Angeles national.. I go to AZ to hunt with a friend and always see more game and the hiking is easier. Might just do that in the future.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I use the archery season to scout for rifle season and help Get me In shape. got to
Admit I’m not as much as a “dedicated” archery hunter as I used to be but still try to make it out for scouting

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I'm amused anyone not from D16 would consider coming out here. 😂
You'll really be amused by this but I come out almost every year to hunt D16, from Colorado. The years I don't is when my Dad can make it out here with me.

muathoj

FNG
New to Rokslide and I assume there's no real rush getting into the archery. Pew-pew copper-head.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think its worth it just to get out and have some fun, scout, workout, and maybe notch a tag. Got close a couple times in D14 this season.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hunt while you can when you can! Coming from a guy who used to spend 300+ days in the field. Now I have a 5 year old and 3 year old. Life happens quick and you only get so much time.

As a lifelong ca resident, I hunt here every year and go out of state every few years. There are plenty of deer to be killed here in archery or rifle. Yeah you have to put in a lot of effort to find the deer but when you do your golden. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer is a realistic saying.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
As a lifelong ca resident, I hunt here every year and go out of state every few years. There are plenty of deer to be killed here in archery or rifle. Yeah you have to put in a lot of effort to find the deer but when you do your golden. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the deer is a realistic saying.
That saying applies to fishing as well.