CA archery hunting worth it anymore?

nexus

FNG
The deer zones you are looking at in California have a surrounding population of over 23 million people. May want to temper the expectations accordingly for those areas. Now, put in for some of the premium archery hunts (X-zones), collect some points while hunting your local zones (2nd and 3rd choices), and you will see a significantly different quality of deer and archery hunting experience when you draw a premium zone (every 3-6 years or so). Collect some points in the surrounding states during the wait, and you have a "hunt rotation" plan that gets you hunting both in your backyard and top quality places throughout the West every year. Like it or not, if one wants to hunt the quality areas in the West, you are forced to play the points game.

Baller

FNG
Bow hunting in so Cal is frustrating for sure. i am venturing out in other states. Just more deer, period.

cjdewese

WKR
Been doing it for the past few years. Was successful in my 1st year but wasn't last year or so far this year. I'm definitely learning a lot and going to hunt with a rifle some this year and see how it
goes.

It's very tough to bow hunt in so cal, it can be done but takes a lot of effort and scouting in the pre-season.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
It's worth it to me. I go out of state every year to at least 2 different states. But with a little work it can be very successful Archery hunting in California.

SoCalDeer

FNG
California is tough in general but SoCal is particularly hard.
The deer zones you are looking at in California have a surrounding population of over 23 million people. May want to temper the expectations accordingly for those areas. Now, put in for some of the premium archery hunts (X-zones), collect some points while hunting your local zones (2nd and 3rd choices), and you will see a significantly different quality of deer and archery hunting experience when you draw a premium zone (every 3-6 years or so). Collect some points in the surrounding states during the wait, and you have a "hunt rotation" plan that gets you hunting both in your backyard and top quality places throughout the West every year. Like it or not, if one wants to hunt the quality areas in the West, you are forced to play the points game.
Still new to hunting but this is my strategy as well. I started building points for a premium in-state zone last year and began building out of state point this year. As nexus said, just need to plan the game.

Rust.E

FNG
unless you know some good spots socal its pretty tough. just save up your points and wait for a premium tag. D11/A31 is one of the largest D units but seeing 1 doe on a weekend was a good hunt. LOL after covid, the increase in hikers was crazy so i dont even bother going to any of the D zones anymore.