Ca Buck to Bear Ratio 2019

MeatBuck

WKR
What did you california guys see this season as far as bear numbers while you were out chasing bucks?
How many legal bucks did you see?
How many days did you hunt?
How many bucks/bears did you kill?

For me, I saw 9 legal bucks in A zone between 6 archery hunts and an opening day hunt in general season. No bears sighted. (Killed buck on opening day rifle).
During B zone, I saw 6 legal bucks in 17 days of hunting between archery and general seasons.
On ten of those days myself and my accomplice saw 30 bears (some may have been the same bears seen on different days in the 2 locations we glassed).
I killed my buck during archery and crippled a bear with bow. With rifle I killed a bear (that I recovered a week later, so no meat) and missed one. Also on these hunts, my buddy missed a bear and my ol lady crippled a (4pt) buck and killed a bear.
So in 24 days afield I personally saw 15 legal bucks and 23 bears.
I killed my 2 bucks and at least one bear and missed another bear.
While my buddy saw 7 bears and missed a shot at one the weekend that we split up to glass. And (under my guidance) my ol lady shot the 4pt that we didn't find and bear that we did... All in all it wasn't the best year we've had as far as the animals shot to tags filled ratio goes but we still put two deer and a bear in the freezer for the family.
That's the most bears I've ever seen in a season as well as in an area. Only saw one sow with cubs in all those bears but she had 3 of em.
image.jpeg

amassi

WKR
Only hunted about 10 days in Ca between archery and rifle and many of those were day trips.
All spent in d3-5
Saw a dozen legal bucks but mostly young forks and small 3 pts, with plenty of elk and venison in the freezer no need to take out next year's 4x4
Early wasn't seeing many bears except sows with cubs until about october 15 then the Bruins were everywhere. Kept trying to turn up a great chocolate phase bear and never could get on him.
We did find 3 unrecovered bears in d5, appeared to be poor rifle hits and not gallbladder poaching given.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

D3-5, hunted 10 days. Saw 4 bears, 0 legal bucks. Only saw 2 does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
I talked with a guy this season who claimed to have shot a bear, watched it roll to the bottom of the hill and then drove away.
I think there's quite a few guys with that mentality when it comes to bears these days.

amassi

WKR
Unfortunately I think the lead ban is also to blame
Throwing monos past their effective range and or hitting a little far back in the lungs and getting caliber sized in and outs

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting b zone archery and general probably ten days combine , saw a dozen legal bucks , 3 shooters out of those ten and probly 25-30 bears and one night I know I saw a dozen different bears in one sitting , out of control

work765

WKR
I’m over in the Los Angeles area and I feel like I saw very little legal bucks during hunting season. And I’ve yet to see a bear near the areas I hunt D11 and D13. Id love to see a bear!
Oh I did see a baby cub in D9 when I was scouting. That’s about it

amassi

WKR
I’m over in the Los Angeles area and I feel like I saw very little legal bucks during hunting season. And I’ve yet to see a bear near the areas I hunt D11 and D13. Id love to see a bear!
Oh I did see a baby cub in D9 when I was scouting. That’s about it

Road trip to the b zones and shoot one. Take a gang and everyone shoot one, its beautiful country.

OP
MeatBuck

MeatBuck

WKR
Would have been a great idea last week. I'd hate to be up there in this wet and cold trying to work up a sopping wet bear. Then again they are pretty tastey when they're all acorn fat ready to call it a season and den up.
Get on em, there's only a month left.

DavePwns

WKR
I spent about 14 days scouting and hunting D6. 5 bears, 1 legal buck, over 30 does.

jfs82

WKR
Only got out 5 days in B zone (I was out in the Yuki), was in D 3-5 fishing/scouting for 3 more days. In B I saw one legal buck, seven does, 4 fawns and 2 bears. In D, out kinda near Wilseyville, no legal bucks, couple does, seven or eight (I think) bears. Buddies property nearby has two cameras up and we found 7 diff bears in a few weeks on there as well.

No bears during the season, saw 8-10 bucks during the season. Killed one. We did see 5 bears in an over night pack in scouting trip. They were in every bowl we went into. I’m probably gonna pick up a tag and go out and try to find one in the last month of the season.

I saw 2 bears archery opener in D7, no legal deer. Unfortunately my hunting time and financial budget was limited this year due to my first out of state elk hunt. Only went out one other time, still no legal deer. D7 sucked for me this year.

work765

WKR
Road trip to the b zones and shoot one. Take a gang and everyone shoot one, its beautiful country.

Mind Sending me a pin or a two? And I’ll be up there! I already have a bear tag and I can go up north and bird hunt and get rid of one of those pesky bears!

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted D3-5 and D6 this year. Ended up seeing 3 legal bucks, probably 20 does and no bears. I usually see maybe 1-2 bears a year. And usually see more deer too for what its worth.

Well this is a cool thread. I really don’t know how many days I hunted. All I know is I started during x6a season. Helping a friend. Had chances in some great deer, but he came up short a few times. That was about 6 or 7 days. I think 8 bucks. We had a bear under 100 yards with no clue we were there, but it was a week before season opened up in X zones. Thank you CA. From there hunted deer some more killed a toad. Bear hunted for half of October and all of November. Hunting in a group we killed and recovered 3 bears. I’ve been reading how some dudes are shooting them then driving off. It really sucks how many dumbasses there are. These are probably the same fu$&ing guys that think hunting is a right and don’t understand in our wonderful state it’s a privilege that many would looooove to take away. We have a beautiful state with a ton of game. I hope no Rokslider would do that shit to a bear. These are awesome animals. Cut them with bacon and the burgers are stupid good! But no bear for me this year. Was a slow year only killed 1 buck, but then again he was a big ass deer haha. Up here in Lassen we have a metric ton of bears so all you d zone b zone boys come on up and kill some bears. Our deer fawns sure would be thankful.