CA D zone

Is there anyone on here who hunts backcountry D zone regularly? I’d love to pick your brain a bit, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
Yea we have hunted above tree line a lot especially in archery season. My advice would be get the glass on those good areas right at prime time cuz these deer are pressured and aren't up and moving in the open for long. I struggle finding deer if I don't. it can be tough hunting and there are a lot of predators around but it can be fun.

Once the snow melts do some scouting. There is a lot of good looking habitat that does not hold deer. If you can look in some high basins during early August you have a chance of finding a good spot or two. Once you find a spot that holds some bucks, keep it quiet or else it will get crowded quick.

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your guys thoughts on this high snow holding on this late? I’ve heard some guys say the deer might not make it back up to stuff above the tree line at all. I’m gonna head out next week to about 7-8k to see for myself

Idk about that. I think they follow the snow bank as it melts because that’s where the freshest feed is. We’ve had more issues with deer coming to the high basins and then leaving before season starts when things dry up early in a low snow year. Some of the best times in one particular basin there was still a snow bank in late August.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Go for it! I'd suggest finding some areas high enough where the trees start to thin out and you have some clearings and openings you can glass into. (That can't be seen from a road)

The bucks won't always be bedding down up above the trees, but you do see them moving up and slipping though some high saddles and ridges to get away from hunting pressure down below. The good bucks use the cover so well to their advantage. The bucks I do spot in the open areas almost always head into the timber or a patch of trees to bed for the day.

OP
M
I’ll be headed up this weekend I think, hoping to get an idea of where they might be holding

OP
M
Apologies, not asking specific areas. Just curious on how high and which D zones.

Last edited:
OP
M
I hope no one is dumb enough to answer this question

Sorry for not being specific, I am not trying to find people’s spots. Curious on altitudes and zones, I am trying to get an understanding of where deer might hold in certain times of year at varying altitudes.

amassi

WKR
Sorry for not being specific, I am not trying to find people’s spots. Curious on altitudes and zones, I am trying to get an understanding of where deer might hold in certain times of year at varying altitudes.

Summer/fall 5000-9000
Late fall/winter 5000-0000
D3,4,5,6

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
M
Thanks! I assumed it might be along those lines, do you think snow line comes into play?