CA D3-5 and Muley's!

Moserkr

WKR
@mxgsfmdpx In the areas around Sacramento and d3-5, there are definitely blacktails. Seen from the valley floor to 8000’ up in the sierras. Easy to argue that they are not purebred columbian blacktails though just based on the body size difference between inland and coastal deer. Once they hit the melting pot east of i5, it makes sense why b&c wont accept them into the record books. They mix. I find it extremely interesting especially when it comes to migration and sub-species interaction. Either way they all taste great! So far I have a CA mule deer and a blacktail (east of i5, x4 zone) under my belt. Chasing rocky mtn mule deer in d3-5 is tough but they are there sometimes. Heres a pic of a private land area blacktail buck, 3000’ level, from my friend. Finally got it to load. He will give any rocky mtn mule deer a run for its money with that rack, but not the body. His G2s, 3s, and 4s are symmetrically splitting on both sides. Hes deep forked, and wide outside his ears, probably 27-28” 🤤🤤🤤. Hard to tell in the velvet shots but we cant wait to see him in person hard horned. To think my buddy said hes not even the biggest in the neighborhood…. Lol

096C3CF3-0830-4767-AF00-AD0E6D4FE916.jpeg

Ztait

FNG
This is a good thread! Hunting D3-D5 for the first time as well, so I’m following closely. Unlike the OP, haven’t had anytime to put boots on the ground but lots of E-Scouting areas, tomorrow will be interesting!

[mention]mxgsfmdpx [/mention] I’ve read about hunting the thick areas or thickets or what I call “bushwacking” in book I read, California Wildlife Adventures, haha. I’m going try it out this year.

Regarding the mule deer or black tail discussion, I must be seeing the hybrids, cause the don’t look like the Muleys where I grew up and there definitely not full black tail. Here’s some pics of a buck in EDH my sees taking the kiddos to school.
be511f3cf9c0508e4a5f03029bfe6d73.jpg

1f72ceb15b61977ec977ab5c6552fc48.jpg

To me this is more blacktail, but I pretty new to it out here.

Ztait
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk