Ca D4,D5,D6 beginner

Hey guys, new here. So pretty much I'm the first person since my grandpa in my family to own a gun. Want to get into hunting for self sufficiency. I'm the ONLY one out of my friends who has any interest in hunting; my coworker is also interested but he's in the same boat together and we're trying to learn it. My question is, where are some campgrounds to start at besides highland lakes that isn't reachable when ebbetts pass is closed. I know like Fisherman no good hunter gives up his honey hole, and I'm not asking that. Just asking for some secluded campsites I can drive to and scout as a beginner. Not some SUPER populated campsite but somewhere I can goto off-season and familiarize myself with. Any campsite recommendations is appreciated

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no help on those units but have you looked on SCHoutdoors? It’s pretty much all California hunting, might be worth a look if you haven’t.

OP
I’d forget asking questions like this. Just get yourself OnX, find some areas that look interesting, then go out and scout them.
Ya but idk what "interesting" from a hunters point of view, besides kamanche lake I've only ever been to Lake alpine once during the day.

AAABucko

FNG
Ski park gave great advice. Spend the small amount of $ and download onX or similar platform. It will provide you with the tools needed such as private lands public access etc. Start exploring and learning different areas you deem suitable. I’ve hunted the D zones heavily and it really just takes getting out there and having fun with it.

Hoghead

WKR
Message me and I will help you out. I'm not familiar with hy 4. I can help you out with the D6 area. I will give you campgrounds to check out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Wags

WKR
By your user name if you are in the 209 area code your not far from hunting in D5. There's a lot of land up that way that's open to hunting. Some of it was burned up in the Caldor fire & I believe that most national forests are closed at this time so you'll want to see if you even have access to any public land to hunt. If they stay closed then your SOL.

Other than that, like everyone said, get OnX and start looking for areas that interest you and get out there and start glassing.

OP
I’m no help on those units but have you looked on SCHoutdoors? It’s pretty much all California hunting, might be worth a look if you haven’t.
Is that an app?
Message me and I will help you out. I'm not familiar with hy 4. I can help you out with the D6 area. I will give you campgrounds to check out.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Okay, im still a new member so it says I cannot private message yet

OP
By your user name if you are in the 209 area code your not far from hunting in D5. There's a lot of land up that way that's open to hunting. Some of it was burned up in the Caldor fire & I believe that most national forests are closed at this time so you'll want to see if you even have access to any public land to hunt. If they stay closed then your SOL.

Other than that, like everyone said, get OnX and start looking for areas that interest you and get out there and start glassing.
Yes I live in Stockton so I have pretty immediate access to 88, 4 and 108. Just don't know what Areas are good areas, I am so ignorant to hunting, just tryna to figure it out. I know it takes years to develop skill