CA hog hunt (group archery)

DavePwns

WKR
Hey all, I'm trying to plan a mid January 2020 archery hog hunt. Most guided options are over 1k if I go solo. I'd prefer to do a treaspassing fee to hunt free range hogs but I don't have any reliable resources for that. Seems like Tejon ranch would be the best opportunity if we got 8 guys/gals to join for a 3 day archery hunt. If we got 8 people to hunt, it would be 750 per person, hunting lodge and all meals included. From what I hear, Tejon ranch has some of the best free range hunting CA has to offer. Post below if you are interested in joining or have any advice

I've thought about doing Tejon Ranch for archery hogs being a So Cal resident, but honestly if you look for some in Texas, it might be worth the drive. Less expensive, no limits at some places. Just my two cents worth.

I've looked into the TX hunts and none have really justified the drive/flight/lodging to me. You will save a few dollars in TX, but not enough to justify the time spent getting there. That being said, I think Tejon is a corrupt overpriced hunting club that has been known to engage in poaching on a large scale for profit. They throw guides under the bus and claim as a corporation they had no knowledge of illegal activities. Sure thing buddy. They supposedly have cleaned house and I would try a hunt there if a group option came up.

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Idk, but if there is a way to get money, they'll probably offer it. It's worth looking into. How many in your group?
I would think they would be open to a mix group hunt, and its just me. If you had a group of 4 plus me, we would only need 3 spots to fill.

boom

WKR
OP. are you a SoCAL guy?

i participated in a NORCAL group hog hunt..i think it was $300 per person for a two day hunt, and we camped on site.

texas is cheap. $200ish with lodging. two nights. but the journey is a bitch.

OP. are you a SoCAL guy?

i participated in a NORCAL group hog hunt..i think it was $300 per person for a two day hunt, and we camped on site.

750 for hog is steep for me. If there was a group going to NorCal for 300 please pm me, I'd be in for sure

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
OP. are you a SoCAL guy?

I am in Modesto, so a nor cal hunt would work just fine. If it's a well managed property, I think we would have no problem filling up the spots

I'm tapping out of the Tejon hunt after speaking with a friends Bil that did a hunt there. He paid for a hunt and wasn't notified until the hunt started that only Boars would be shooters for that trip. Hard pass.

boom

WKR
just found the hunt i did. couple of changes. they raised the price to $450 and it is boar only.

and it seems some dude on another forum has the market cornered.

on the flip-side..you all can hunt LAKE SONOMA (probably starting turkey day) for damn near free. last time it was $35 bucks for a season. it ends in March and is archery (or crossbow) only.

Beendare

WKR
Dave, FWIW....the intel I'm getting on Tejon is it was hit hard by the drought...and hard hunting.....its not the target rich environment it was 10 years ago.

That said, its still a hunt....and that country is conducive to glassing a long ways so no doubt a guy can spot some hogs....

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
Dave, FWIW....the intel I'm getting on Tejon is it was hit hard by the drought...and hard hunting.....its not the target rich environment it was 10 years ago.

That said, its still a hunt....and that country is conducive to glassing a long ways so no doubt a guy can spot some hogs....

Do you have any other property recommendations for a group hunt?

OP
DavePwns

DavePwns

WKR
just found the hunt i did. couple of changes. they raised the price to $450 and it is boar only.

and it seems some dude on another forum has the market cornered.

on the flip-side..you all can hunt LAKE SONOMA (probably starting turkey day) for damn near free. last time it was $35 bucks for a season. it ends in March and is archery (or crossbow) only.
I have hunted Sonoma several times. Lots of sign, but the hogs seem to have a PhD in avoiding hunting pressure. I think they go nocturnal, or at least that's my excuse. And what do you mean another forum has the market concerned?