CA Late season G6

sfc2140

FNG
For the last 4 years I have always bought D16 deer tags. This year was the first year I applied for a premium G6 tag. From the research I have done it looks as if I had only .56% chance to get drawn. Wow! To my surprise I was beyond lucky to get selected. I honestly didn't even know about that zone or hunt when I applied I just searched for what appeared to be the most premium tag that I could get figuring I wasn't going to get selected and I'll fall back on D16 and stay close to home. Well now that I was drawn I had to start my research and figuring out how to approach this. I think I have a solid plan but I won't know I guess until I put boots to the ground

This will be the first real big game hunt with my son. I think I am more excited about getting out there with him than I am about the deer. My goal is to camp close by my cousin is coming down from Chico with his trailer. I plan to hunt hard from Dec1-9 or until I tag out. I am debating on whether or not to try and film as much as I can so I can time with my boy on film. Still not sure about that though.

Has anyone here hunted this zone before? I am curious as want to expect. I don't want locations but curious as if this hunt is everything I have read or heard about. I was also thinking about picking up a bear tag. Is it worth it that time of year in that zone? Thanks

Joe

Block

WKR
Congrats on the draw! My GF has been tryin for that one for 12 years and her pops a bit longer than that. In years past they’ve driven the paved roads up near Sherman Pass during the G6 hunt and typically see big bucks every year that there’s snow. Have heard a few people complain about that hunt the years that it doesn’t snow. Iv managed archery bucks in that same zone (D8) The past 2 seasons hunting fairly low elevation to avoid hunters. Would love to hear how your hunt goes, Good Luck!

There is alot of places people do mot go on the g6 that hold some nice bucks and also like stated sherman pass road is a good starting point. You might get lucky and see that rouge elk that was spotted by kernville this summer.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
There is alot of places people do mot go on the g6 that hold some nice bucks and also like stated sherman pass road is a good starting point. You might get lucky and see that rouge elk that was spotted by kernville this summer.

That would be pretty sweet seeing an elk up there. I have quite a few places I want to check out and plan on putting lots of miles on my boots. So I hope to find one of those nice bucks. I am seeing that they are only getting some showers right now and I might not see snow. So I might have to adjust my original plan and move up in elevation

Block

WKR

Haha I got a few cool trail cam videos of that Elk early summer b4 he was sighted..

Haha I got a few cool trail cam videos of that Elk early summer b4 he was sighted..
Yeah so you and I'm curious to were he came from,the only herds are the herd north of teachapi and out in bishop. I was up at osa meadows and seen some scat i wasn't familiar with.

That would be pretty sweet seeing an elk up there. I have quite a few places I want to check out and plan on putting lots of miles on my boots. So I hope to find one of those nice bucks. I am seeing that they are only getting some showers right now and I might not see snow. So I might have to adjust my original plan and move up in elevation
There is some nice country and if you use onx maps that will help you narrow some spots down.

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
I do have OnX it is a great tool. I have some spots narrowed down already and I’m not picky any good buck that presents himself will be harvested.

If snow doesn’t move in will the deer remain at the high elevation or will they still move on down?

Onx is a great tool. If the first snow is a dusting then they usually hold high but you never know with that kern herd they do things no one expects.

Block

WKR
I do have OnX it is a great tool. I have some spots narrowed down already and I’m not picky any good buck that presents himself will be harvested.

If snow doesn’t move in will the deer remain at the high elevation or will they still move on down?

I haven’t scouted up high in D8 lately,,, but I went bear hunting up in D9 a few weeks ago (8000’) and even without any snow or any real cold weather,, everything looked dead and brown.. it was blowing 30 that am so I didn’t see much,, But it definately “seemed” like most animals would have moved down a bit for better food...I’m sure you will be able to gauge that better once you get up there.,,

I haven’t scouted up high in D8 lately,,, but I went bear hunting up in D9 a few weeks ago (8000’) and even without any snow or any real cold weather,, everything looked dead and brown.. it was blowing 30 that am so I didn’t see much,, But it definately “seemed” like most animals would have moved down a bit for better food...I’m sure you will be able to gauge that better once you get up there.,,
High country D8 holds some good bucks if you want to hike a bit during archery season and with the late arrival of this storm and the warmer temperatures in November,the deer are mixed high and low.

Yeah I was hoping for a big snow storm but no such luck for me,
WatchNovember 28 at 10:00PM PST

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT... * WHAT...HEAVY SNOW POSSIBLE. TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OVER 2 FEET POSSIBLE ABOVE 7000 FEET. WINDS COULD GUST AS HIGH AS 60 MPH OVER THE CREST. * WHERE...SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON AND TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS. * WHEN...FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT TO IMPOSSIBLE. IF TRAVELING INTO THE SIERRA NEVADA, CONSIDER ALTERNATE PLANS. REMEMBER TO CARRY TIRE CHAINS, EXTRA FOOD, WATER AND CLOTHING. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW, SLEET OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS. &&

Block

WKR
Yeah good timing on this storm! Went and explored in x-10 a little yesterday and saw ALOT of bucks down in the 6000’ elevation.. did see a few as high as 7500’ .. there was snow at about 7000’

Orion

FNG
Myself and another guy drew G6 and will be up there as well with a couple other nonhunters. Fingers crossed this recent storm pushes some bucks down! Best of luck on your hunt, I hope you kill a monster.

Block

WKR
I wana see how you guys do! Just saw a friend of a friends G-6 buck from yesterday. Beautiful tall HEAVY 4

OP
sfc2140

sfc2140

FNG
I just got back last night from my hunt. I'm glad to report taking down a 3x3, not the biggest buck we encountered but he gave us the best shot. I'll give a full report and pics very soon. :D