Ca- spi preemptively closing forest lands

amassi

WKR
Sierra Pacific Industry is preemptively closing access to their timber leases even to walk ins. No date set for re opening
cb0e0eb6b8a6ffc5b9fc6ecf6e9b2da8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Dfw seemed willing to discuss season options during the off season. Maybes it time we roll the seasons back later in the year

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Rokslide obviously
I saw it on the news

WKR

WKR
Dfw seemed willing to discuss season options during the off season. Maybes it time we roll the seasons back later in the year

That would be a great option but I remain very pessimistic. When is the last time you remember a decision being made by the dfw that actually benefited us hunters?

I suggested this in the A,B,C,D,X zone Facebook group. I was told unequivocally that I'm just a POS trophy hunter and that hunting is for eating and if we have later season dates then any idiot can just kill a dumb stinky buck that will taste yucky.

Reactions: WKR

WKR

WKR
I suggested this in the A,B,C,D,X zone Facebook group. I was told unequivocally that I'm just a POS trophy hunter and that hunting is for eating and if we have later season dates then any idiot can just kill a dumb stinky buck that will taste yucky.
That group is just full of ignorance. Most CA Facebook hunting groups are bad but that ones gotta be the worst.

That group is just full of ignorance. Most CA Facebook hunting groups are bad but that ones gotta be the worst.
I got banned from one group you might be a part of because the moderator posted a video of himself trespassing on a property I have permission to turkey hunt, the evening before the season. I sent the video to the landowner. -- I'm a nark and a tattle tale, but I figure I owe my best friend a heads up that dudes are rooming around his place over protecting the bro code with some dude online I've never met.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
That would be a great option but I remain very pessimistic. When is the last time you remember a decision being made by the dfw that actually benefited us hunters?
I sat in in a couple of the zoom meetings this year. They seemed open to options, agreed on a tar return process, expanding bear hunting opportunities to increase harvest to pre hound ban levels. My impression of the commitees is that they're willing and ready to work with hunters but hunters fail to bring issues to the committee.

While it does suck that SPI and the FS close properties there is still a giant fire danger threat constantly looming in CA. Drought has been bad for a while now and you add in careless people/arson/no control burns/no thinning of many forests and it’s a real problem. I agree it now seems like the norm that many areas will be closed for part/whole seasons but will see how this year goes.

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
Naw- we can't just shut the state down every year for fire danger and just accept it as the new normal

Spi has owned this property for 3 generations- they decide on how much fuel it holds between their trees.

From their press release these are the reasons for a closure

-As a fire prevention measure.
To provide for the recovery and restoration of areas impacted by wildfire.
To protect public safety, especially in active harvest areas.
To help prevent erosion of roads.
To deter illegal woodcutting.
To prevent damage to young regenerated forest stands.
To deter illegal garbage dumping.
To prevent Christmas tree theft.
To protect sensitive research project areas and equipment. Monitoring equipment has been placed in areas where research is under way. Please do not disturb it

Naw- we can't just shut the state down every year for fire danger and just accept it as the new normal

Spi has owned this property for 3 generations- they decide on how much fuel it holds between their trees.

From their press release these are the reasons for a closure

-As a fire prevention measure.
To provide for the recovery and restoration of areas impacted by wildfire.
To protect public safety, especially in active harvest areas.
To help prevent erosion of roads.
To deter illegal woodcutting.
To prevent damage to young regenerated forest stands.
To deter illegal garbage dumping.
To prevent Christmas tree theft.
To protect sensitive research project areas and equipment. Monitoring equipment has been placed in areas where research is under way. Please do not disturb it

SPI owns the property so they have the right to close it anytime they want I guess. Their reasons seem somewhat valid.

Also normally the FS doesn’t start out summer by just closing all forests. The past few years giant fires have been burning on forest service lands and then other forests are closed due to supposedly not enough man power to fight another fire if one was to start. While I do agree we can’t just accept this as the new normal I can somewhat see their thinking at times when related to fires and careless people.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
We had a couple of brushfires last week when it went triple digits. I opened up my garage door, smelled the smoke, and thought, "Well, sh#t, here we go again." Fingers crossed that our fellow Californians do their best to not start fires this summer.

As CalHunter805 suggested, I can't blame the private property owner if they're dealing with gender reveals and burning toilet paper in these conditions.

WKR

WKR
I sat in in a couple of the zoom meetings this year. They seemed open to options, agreed on a tar return process, expanding bear hunting opportunities to increase harvest to pre hound ban levels. My impression of the commitees is that they're willing and ready to work with hunters but hunters fail to bring issues to the committee.

I'm curious what the ideas were around expanding bear hunting opportunities?

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
I'm curious what the ideas were around expanding bear hunting opportunities?
Additional tag allotment so long as the quota hadn't been met. Opening closed areas, allowing bear hunting in some of the x zones when deer opens instead of later. Getting people to hunt areas that have a lot of bears but few bear hunters- eastern sierras

One of the issues the bio pointed out was the amount of hunters who have opportunities to harvest a bear but didn't want to "ruin" their deer hunt. Pretty much said the impetus should be on controlling the bear population when opportunities rise.

Azone

WKR
Need to just start a fire at the US/Mex border and let it burn all the way to the CA/OR border and be done with it. All joking aside, I’d have no problem with later season dates with one tag and the chance to draw a second tag. It would help with the back log of PP holders. After the lighting storms rolled through last week I was willing to bet ground would be closing down till the first rain.

Additional tag allotment so long as the quota hadn't been met. Opening closed areas, allowing bear hunting in some of the x zones when deer opens instead of later. Getting people to hunt areas that have a lot of bears but few bear hunters- eastern sierras

One of the issues the bio pointed out was the amount of hunters who have opportunities to harvest a bear but didn't want to "ruin" their deer hunt. Pretty much said the impetus should be on controlling the bear population when opportunities rise.

You mean instead of going the opposite direction (on the x zones....). I understood the week late for bears in X zones when guys could run dogs. That should have went away with the hound ban. Instead now you can't even shoot bears until deer season is over. Insanity

OP
amassi

amassi

WKR
You mean instead of going the opposite direction (on the x zones....). I understood the week late for bears in X zones when guys could run dogs. That should have went away with the hound ban. Instead now you can't even shoot bears until deer season is over. Insanity
Incorrect it opens the second Saturday in those x zones. A week before the end of deer season.
Also it opens concurrently in 5 x zones.

I wouldn't have minded hound hunters hunting opening day. They typically drive roads and having dogs out treeing bears surely would have moved some deer around