CA wild hog hunt ?'s

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Thanks SD! Good info there. Sounds like fun, what you describe is my favorite style of hunting so I won't have any issues there. I will be bowhunting so hopefully I can make it happen.

Thanks for the advice.

Jager

WKR
Great pics, that is an awesome looking Boar Rosinbag, love the big wooly cape, did you have him mounted?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did not. I actually just had a brain fart. I was pushing the clock late on our last day and started hacking him up, once I was done I realized I screwed the pooch. He was a nasty wooly stinky big bastard though.

Jager

WKR
lol what a shame, the cape is unreal, looks to have pretty decent ivory too, great trophy.

What is the countryside like they live in?

SDHNTR

WKR
I did not. I actually just had a brain fart. I was pushing the clock late on our last day and started hacking him up, once I was done I realized I screwed the pooch. He was a nasty wooly stinky big bastard though.

Yeah, and then he threw that SOB on top of the effing roof rack of his rig! I remember Doug rolling into camp and thinking how the hell did he do that! I'm not sure who's the bigger animal!

Shrek

WKR
Man , I can't believe you clean those stinking monsters ! Down here in the south we mostly bury them after taking the tusks. I was able to give a couple of them to the undocumented farm laborers but even they wouldn't take them after the third one I gave away. Big and bad but not fit to eat .

SDHNTR

WKR
In the last week I've eaten the loins and 1/2 of a backstrap of the calico I posted before. Tasted every bit as good as that little 80lb red one. I've killed a few whoppers and I can honestly say I've never had a foul one. Maybe it's a CA thing. Hell, CA is the only state I'm aware of that considers them a game animal. Gotta buy a $25 tag for each one now! WTF? State need the $$$$.

Jager

WKR
Great thread. I am not overly enthused about eating them, have in the past however, with differing results.

Keen to see any more pics you guys might have.

JNDEER

WKR
Great thread. I am not overly enthused about eating them, have in the past however, with differing results.

Keen to see any more pics you guys might have.

some pork

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    teeth.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 37
OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Just got back last night from my hunt at Tejon Ranch. Had a great time chasing hogs but couldn't close the deal on one. I kind is screwed up within the first couple hours on Friday! I was still hunting some thick stuff with a lot of sign on it and came up on about 6 hogs bedded, sleeping. I was able to get to within 17 yards but obviously had a bad shot angle on them as I was above them and they were laying on their sides with their legs pointing downhill.

I figured I would wait them out at first. Then after an hour of waiting I got impatient and decided to try and get a better angle on one of the hogs that was in a better position. Needless to say they heard or smelled me and jumped up and blew out if there in no time!

I saw about 20 hogs the first day but was having a hard time locating them on Saturday and Sunday as I only found two each day from there.

There were a lot of guys there and most of them were gun hunters. They were pushing the hogs pretty hard.

Overall I had a great time and it was a good experience. I saw elk, deer, coyotes, bobcats and hogs.

Some pics from the trip

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361817021.830629.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361817072.682426.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361817095.977645.jpg

MegaCab and MegaTarp together I thought a pic was fitting!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361817123.254351.jpg

trkyslr

WKR
Glad to hear you got into them. Ya a two day hunt you may only get one oppirtunity. Every hunt is a learning opportunity whether it was successful or not. Great pics! Thats a great place to be.