Ca x zone help

Ryguy

FNG
c268b8ce9b146305234e86a9f0bec9a5.jpg

Backcountry Hunt 11k feet. Very little cover and only a small alpine lake within 1.5 miles of where the pic was taken.

Found these deer day before the opener which was awesome. My buddy and me put a plan in place since they seemed to still be in summer mode. Some bucks not pictured still in velvet. Put a plan knowing where they are getting water and where we watched them bed down for the am. Got in place Saturday am in the dark not using lights and using the wind to our advantage. Let’s just say after 5 days of hunting that basin we never saw them.

My question is where could they have gone? There was a big canyon we watched them bed in and most of the pressure from hunters is below that so I doubt they’d go there. If those deer went any higher they’d be big horn but there was nothing but shale so I doubt that. I was cold Friday/sat lows in in the teens but still no snow. Did we give up too soon or should we have stayed in the area?

There were 2 great deer. That back deer is a 5x4 palmated and a giant 3x3 I didn’t get pics of. I realize I need a phonescope ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any other canyons nearby they could have slipped over into? Bucks that age I wouldn't think got that old by hanging out in places with no cover, during rifle season. Even if it is a draw zone.

Total guess here, but I'd bet they are bedding in the trees now. I don't know if thats 400 yards away or 1/2 mile away, but they have to be in some brush or trees.

If it makes you feel any better, what you experienced this weekend was what most people had happen. Cold weather, some snow, and very few deer seen. Even does were few and far between.

OP
Ryguy

Ryguy

FNG
Is there any other canyons nearby they could have slipped over into? Bucks that age I wouldn't think got that old by hanging out in places with no cover, during rifle season. Even if it is a draw zone.

Total guess here, but I'd bet they are bedding in the trees now. I don't know if thats 400 yards away or 1/2 mile away, but they have to be in some brush or trees.

If it makes you feel any better, what you experienced this weekend was what most people had happen. Cold weather, some snow, and very few deer seen. Even does were few and far between.

Idk what kind of pines they are but they are in small clusters only 5-6 feet high and spaced out pretty good. The canyon behind the peak is a cliff. Maybe they can climb it but seemed impossible even for deer. My buddy passed on forks bc that group of 9 bucks was outstanding. I just couldn’t believe we didn’t see a glimpse of 9 bucks moving or bedded in the scattered brush. This was 2 weekends ago. He’s going back next week for the final week.

The pic was 700 yards

Last edited:
Look on your maps and survey the area for nearest cover, escape routes, additional feeding and bedding. Essentially look for attractive bucky areas near or below where they were last seen. Feel free to PM me, maybe I can help you more.

OP
Ryguy

Ryguy

FNG
Look on your maps and survey the area for nearest cover, escape routes, additional feeding and bedding. Essentially look for attractive bucky areas near or below where they were last seen. Feel free to PM me, maybe I can help you more.

What doesn’t make sense is the only possible area they could’ve gone was to another canyon that gets absolutely hammered bc you can drive right up to it. We chose this spot bc you couldn’t road hunt.

We did hear a couple coyotes later in the day Friday. We set back up Friday to scout again for the the am and saw the does that were kind with the bucks. So I don’t think that spooked them. I just know that area is tough to hunt but has some great deer

The went nocturnal and into the shale where you can not approach without being busted.

Block

WKR
They were probably within 1/2 mile as sum1 stated.. after They rub off their velvet they usually aren’t buddied up in big groups as much.. the 2 big boys prolly split off from the pack and don’t move much making them hard to glass. A windy day can make them more predictable on where they will be positioned/tucked... sometimes covering more ground and getting different angles will be much more productive than keeping 1
Master vantage