CA X Zone

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey guys, I drew X3B this year. I will
most likely be back pack hunting solo in the higher elevations to try and get on some big mule deer. I understand the population is not what it used to be, but some big ones are still around.

any fellow members draw the same tag or know of anyone who is knowledgeable in this area that would like to pair up?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If the cats are as bad as they’ve been the last several years they are continuing to drive the deer further down into the valleys and basins. Did you already have a starting trail head in mind or forest service road you planned to start from?

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
If the cats are as bad as they’ve been the last several years they are continuing to drive the deer further down into the valleys and basins. Did you already have a starting trail head in mind or forest service road you planned to start from?

Yes, I have done some “e-scouting” and found some pretty good looking country that should hold some mule deer. I will definitely get out for a few days and scout prior to season opener. I’ll be high up in the Warner’s 9k or higher.

I’ve heard all the news about the population being way down. On the bright side, X3B can’t be much worse than D3-5. I’m trying to stay positive and hope I can make it happen!

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
I was considering hiring an outfitter, but for 3.5k to hunt a deer in a farm field just doesn’t do it for me. Not to knock it, but I just want more of a experience that I can be proud of

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Yes, I have done some “e-scouting” and found some pretty good looking country that should hold some mule deer. I will definitely get out for a few days and scout prior to season opener. I’ll be high up in the Warner’s 9k or higher.

I’ve heard all the news about the population being way down. On the bright side, X3B can’t be much worse than D3-5. I’m trying to stay positive and hope I can make it happen!

Nice. Warners is a good choice. Don’t be afraid to adapt your plan if you aren’t seeing deer up high. Sounds like you have a solid plan in place. I’ll be following this post to see how scouting goes!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I was considering hiring an outfitter, but for 3.5k to hunt a deer in a farm field just doesn’t do it for me. Not to knock it, but I just want more of a experience that I can be proud of

There are some areas where public land lower elevation (4000-5000 ft) draws/rolling sage hills just before you reach the thicker timber and super rocky stuff, have LOTS of mule deer feeding into those alfalfa fields from public to private and back. I know you have a plan in place, but this is definitely something to consider if scouting doesn’t go well up high in the Warners.

Without giving away too much... Check out the maps and review the areas just west of a small town called Eagleville in the surprise valley. This strategy has worked really well in this area.

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
There are some areas where public land lower elevation (4000-5000 ft) draws/rolling sage hills just before you reach the thicker timber and super rocky stuff, have LOTS of mule deer feeding into those alfalfa fields on public. I know you have a plan in place, but this is definitely something to consider if scouting doesn’t go well up high in the Warners.

Without giving away too much... Check out the maps and review the areas just west of a small town called Eagleville in the surprise valley. This strategy has worked really well in this area.

thank you for the support and tip! i really appreciate the feedback

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Anytime! Us “Bay Area” guys get a lot of crap from just about all other hunters thrown our way just because of where we live haha. We gotta help each other out!

yea no doubt, fortunately i haven't really caught much criticism.
one thing i do know is, what you put in is what you will get out.
i get out there and hit it hard, and most of the time it pays off.
after all, its all about the experience and memories!

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
I killed a pretty good buck there about 8 years ago , we hunted high in ideal looking country but dug up very few , not saying they weren’t there , but the season dates in the X zones aren’t very friendly, it can be hot , and minimal movement, definitely scout early , seen quite a few expose them self in the velvet , personally had better luck in that 4-5k ft range like the other poster mentioned , the cats have been bad , keep that in mind , it could be a grind but that’s wat it’s all about , pray for cool weather and hit it hard

Good luck out there & be safe!

how high will you be heading up?
are you back packing in?
I'll be scouting 8000 and then some lower country as well. I was lucky enough to draw this year after drawing last year as well. Last year we didn't have to pack in, but it made for some early mornings to get to where we needed to be. Four years ago we were about 8 miles in and had luck, but last year that area did not hold as many deer so i didn't go back after my initial scout trip.

most likely be back pack hunting solo in the higher elevations to try and get on some big mule deer. I understand the population is not what it used to be, but some big ones are still around.

any fellow members draw the same tag or know of anyone who is knowledgeable in this area that would like to pair up?

Hey Gexpro, I drew X3B this year. As of now I plan on solo hunting. Would love to pair up with someone who is motivated to get back in some deep county. I’m 31 in decent shape and don’t mind hiking (although I will have a quad and or dirt bike I’ll bring to scout the area faster) let me know if you would like to talk about pairing up and maybe we could make it happen. Cheers

OP
gexpro

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey Gexpro, I drew X3B this year. As of now I plan on solo hunting. Would love to pair up with someone who is motivated to get back in some deep county. I’m 31 in decent shape and don’t mind hiking (although I will have a quad and or dirt bike I’ll bring to scout the area faster) let me know if you would like to talk about pairing up and maybe we could make it happen. Cheers

sent you a PM

Bosco301

FNG
I hunted the warner wilderness 5 years ago. The area around the camp sites was CROWDED. Roads looked like the Daytona 500 with quads. I planned on hiking in but the trails were crowed, and I turned around after two days in the wilderness area. I regret that decision. Don’t get discouraged by the backpack hikers and pack stock hunters. There are deer up high. Some young deer were taken down low in the sage brush but anything with any age class will be up high. I found a nice 3x4 dead head not far from the trail. I had high expectation for an X zone but there are a lot of tags. Good luck.