Cabelas Alaknak tent question

Mjprohoroff

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy gang, I’m in the market for a new tent. I always liked the look of the Alaknak and have the ability to pick up a slightly used one complete with all the options. Here’s my question. It seems the older versions of these were great quality and very durable but sometime in the last 5-6 years a lot of folks have had seams and center poles blowing out. I wouldn’t buy a new one at this point. Does anyone know when this Lessening of quality happened and differences that can be spotted by looking at the tent? Like maybe the older version had storm window covers that are the same color as the tent body and the new one has brown covers. Or the older version had a different stove Jack. Any info or detailed photos of Alaknak tents purchased 10 years ago or so would be helpful. If I don’t end up
Purchasing this one I will probably look to buy a kodiak canvas cabin tent. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Alaknak is about 15 years old. The old ones are all the same color. No different color on the window covers.

That is the only difference I can see from the photos online.

Stalker69

WKR
I bought one about 7-8 years ago and used it on one hunting trip. It was horrible, the stove jack rolled from the peak down. Which was like a funnel in the rain, rain poured in ( did not have a flue pipe out the roof. ) The windows are plastic and are in the roof, and I know they will get brittle and crack with age, I know what’s going to happen then. I returned it to Cabela’s as soon as we got home.

Will@DFH

FNG
I have owned the Cabelas 12x12 Alaknak for over a year now. Real solid tent, especially in high winds. It is very warm with the stove. However my friends Kodiak Canvas tent is very tempting and a great value. I made a video on both of them the last time we were in the desert doing some long range shooting. You can check it out if you like. Good luck! -Will

Cabelas 12x12 Alaknak vs Kodiak 6170

Elk1365

FNG
Purchased one about 10 years ago, all the same colors - been a good tent - had it in quite a bit of snow and worked well.