Cabelas Alaskan guide tent

Anyone have this tent the geodesic and like it? Obviously it’s not a backpacking tent. But looking for something to pick up for a future Wyoming trip with my son. Seems like a good bang for bucks tent.

think I would stick with 4 person. 6 may be more then needed.

Jimss

WKR
I have an older model Cabelas Alaska Guide tent. I think it would be fine for a truck camp tent. Way to big to backpack. I'm not sure where in Wyo you are hunting but the wind usually howls. I think the guide tent ought to hold up ok in the wind. I usually hunt Wyo every year and have given up on tents.....just don't like the flapping and dealing with WIND! Did I say WIND? I sleep a lot better in my pickup topper.

It is very sturdy for sure. I used a 6man one with one other guy. We had enough room for two cots and a small table, and a little extra room for packs.

Last edited:

MT257

WKR
I have one, seems pretty solid. Camped with temps down to zero last year and a buddy heater. Very little condensation inside tent, most was on the fly. Was warm the entire night. Set up is difficult for one person until you figure out how to do it, if you have two people setup should be a breeze. As for the wind if you snug up the gye tie downs the wind will be a non factor. I have the 6 person and would think its just right for two people. The four person tent will be tight with two people.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Awesome tents. Solid, waterproof. Vestibule is handy for cooking and gear storage. Easy to vent.

I got a 6 man and then learned it cannot be easily erected solo. Never actually used it, sits in my storage unit. This guy makes it appear simple, it's not. And the 6 man is ideal for two people with lots of gear, 3 is max. The used prices for these keep climbing because the new ones are always on backorder.

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
I got a 6 man and then learned it cannot be erected solo. Never actually used it, sits in my storage unit.
With all due respect, that is simply NOT correct. I have owned and set up both 6-man and 8-man Alaskan Guide tents by myself dozens and dozens of time--as recent as a few weeks ago with the 8-man tent. I've also done so in a hard rain by myself.

If anyone is considering the 6-man or the 8-man Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent, do not be discouraged from buying it if you might have to set it up alone.

Last edited:

MT257

WKR
I too have set this up alone. I do find it much better staking the corners down first and clipping the bottom couple of attachments that are on tent to pole. Helps keep the rods where they need to be.

Rokwiia

WKR
I agree staking the corners helps as does clipping the bottom attachments.

The trick is to know how the three poles that are threaded through the short sleeves will line up to which bottom they fasten to. The sleeves are color coded and once you know where they fasten to, you can set up those three poles and the tent will be standing. Then, the remaining three poles cross laterally on the tent.

Opinions vary. Many find setting this thing up "daunting" (do a Google search) and apparently you need something called a pitch kit to erect it solo. This is JMO so take it with a grain of salt, I did post a video showing a guy erecting it solo in 25 minutes. Doing that in the rain without soaking the tent is another thing. The learning curve isn't mild.

Here's another rokslide thread on the tent:

Rokwiia

WKR
The most difficult part is putting on the rain fly as it has hooks that can catch on the tent poles. After many mistakes, I found the best way was to bunch up the fly and then throw it hard across the top just like you were throwing a large fishing net.

Rokwiia

WKR
I've never heard of a pitch kit much less used one. Setting this up is not a difficult thing to do and I am about as average a guy as there is.

When I got the 8-man, I did a dry run and set it up in my yard. The process was no different than the 6-man tent except sometimes you have to reach a little bit more. Other than that, it was business as usual.

I have a 6-man and agree with everything said above. By far the most rain and wind proof family car camping tent I’ve ever owned. They are easier to set up with 2 people but I have done it many times alone without too much difficulty. The hooks on the rain fly suck and catch on everything - my only real complaint. They can be found on eBay if you are having trouble finding one.

With all due respect, that is simply NOT correct. I have owned and set up both 6-man and 8-man Alaskan Guide tents by myself dozens and dozens of time--as recent as a few weeks ago with the 8-man tent. I've also done so in a hard rain by myself.

If anyone is considering the 6-man or the 8-man Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent, do not be discouraged from buying it if you might have to set it up alone.
Diddo. I have set my 8-man up by myself.

I have camped in it down to -5 with a Buddy heater inside. It would get to about 50. There would be condensation frozen on the fly or along the bottom of the vestibule, but we never actually had water get on us or our stuff.

I would probably prefer a canvas wall tent, but this was cheaper, packs down way smaller (duffel bag size for 8-man), and is lighter.

Fatcamp

WKR
It's a true 4 season tent. We have a four person with the old style Conestoga wagon vestibule. Should probably sell it as we have and use a Kodiak now.

My wife sets ours up alone. Never really complained about it.

I can say i have set mine up solo and it isnt super easy like my nemo 3p tent, but it is doable. Much easier with two or more people.

i had my daughter and her two friends in one at big bend when a big wind storm came through and ripped up, literally broke other tents in half with girls in them, and the AG 8p tent was still standing and never gave a hint it would buckle, and i didn’t even have it guyed out, just staked at the corners and the self supporting poles held strong in the 70+mph winds.
For what it is (more of a car tent or animal packed tent) it is a phenomenal tent in my opinion.

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll second that the “6 person” is really a 2 person with cots and packs. The vestibule is nice but could be bigger. It really is a nice tent for the price point.

Also, by FAR too heavy to pack in. Base camp only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought mine for a fly-in, float out hunt in AK after watching this.

I am now contemplating replacing it with an Artic Over IGLOO Coyote (37lbs)

R4PZqZTISoSWgVU3sACRPU6WKUrLEg4jvYe_puJafBdeu1Isib_r40P-pvwekRadjyzlQ0vL5C6bI-OMtzIwni5cGuRXeYW1JqUCuYCK1k7SRNnMLOlCG8fyFp4

or the Great Nunatak (24lbs). Depends on the final weight of all our gear for trip which is still unknown. Two PR49HD packrafts are not light.

T00776-1.jpg

The 'Oven" uses a micro-fiber, non-woven "fabric" on the inside. That is what they promote as being a significant factor in making these tents as effective as they are. In colder weather, the breathing capability of the inner fabric separates "effective" from others including the Alaskan. Yes, they cost significantly more but if a monster storm crashes down on you, your life depends on a your shelter.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I bought my 6-man in 1989 and sold it a few years ago. I've set it up many times solo.......however, I much prefer setting up my 14x16 wall tent solo to that thing. It's easier and quicker.......and a HECK of a lot more comfortable.