Cabelas Alaskan guide tent

We wore out one 8-man Alaskan Guide and still use #2. I like the Aluminum poles and the old Conestoga vestibule best. I’ve set it up alone in the dark. Easier with two people but not hard once you’ve done it dozens of times to do it alone.

Ours withstood a WY gale one night at Glendo Reservoir that took down every other tent on the east side of the lake.

I’ve used it in Northern BC on a few fly in caribou/moose hunts as base camp plus some quad in hunts. Works good in wind and snow. I use a catalytic heater in the vestibule. The 8-man is decent for 3 hunters with cots with the vestibule to cook in.

Our first “wore out” after many years of use….UV made the fly fabric deteriorate to where it was fragile. My calculations showed it had been up for nearly a cumulative year, much at higher elevations in CO and WY with significant time in AZ.

I've used the 8-man version on many solo and 2-man hunts and after getting the hang of set-up, it is just fine. Great tent for the price.

I’ve had a 6 person Alaskan Guide Dome for almost 20 years and I’ve used it a ton. For the price, they are about as solid and as bombproof of a tent that you can get IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I was close to getting one, I ended up with an REI Base Camp 6. I was put off by the setup and the rounded floor. I feel the base camp has more useable space. I have ridden out 70mph gusts in the Base Camp with all guy lines attached.

I have been using the 4 and 6 man tents for a long time and they are great tents... Lots of time in bad conditions and they really hold up well. Never had a problem setting them up either..
There is one thing to take into consideration... When Bass Pro took over Cabelas, they "modifed" (cheapened) a lot of what used to be decent products.

Stalker69

WKR
Wow can’t believe all the “ hard to set up” answers. I have the eight man and set it up by my self vey easily all the time. I can’t imagine an easier tent to set up really. As for quality, it down right sucks. 4 inches of snow collapsed it ( fiberglass poles) and punctured holes in it. Bought the aluminum poles and heavy winds bent the shit out of them. Heavy rains, it leaks like crazy. My air mattress has floated on water several times in it. A cot will keep you out of the water, until you get out of the cot. I personally will never buy another one. I wish I had taken pictures or better yet video of it. Still use it but only if I have the truck near by, to sleep in if it rains. Will gladly sell it, if any body wants one. To heavy to ship, 200.00 local pick up.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Your biggest challenge will be finding one. Cabelas has discontinued these fine tents since Ass Pro acquired and ruined the company altogether.

Wow can’t believe all the “ hard to set up” answers. I have the eight man and set it up by my self vey easily all the time. I can’t imagine an easier tent to set up really. As for quality, it down right sucks. 4 inches of snow collapsed it ( fiberglass poles) and punctured holes in it. Bought the aluminum poles and heavy winds bent the shit out of them. Heavy rains, it leaks like crazy. My air mattress has floated on water several times in it. A cot will keep you out of the water, until you get out of the cot. I personally will never buy another one. I wish I had taken pictures or better yet video of it. Still use it but only if I have the truck near by, to sleep in if it rains. Will gladly sell it, if any body wants one. To heavy to ship, 200.00 local pick up.

jawdrop.jpg

Sarcasm?

Literally the opposite of virtually every review as well as my personal experience with one. Even cheap 2-pole tents can survive 4” of snow, and this tent has 3 (or is it 4) main poles that are probably 50-75% thicker than cheap tents.

Fatcamp

WKR
Sarcasm?

Literally the opposite of virtually every review as well as my personal experience with one. Even cheap 2-pole tents can survive 4” of snow, and this tent has 3 (or is it 4) main poles that are probably 50-75% thicker than cheap tents.

Ya, never once heard another negative review like that.

Stalker69

WKR
Sarcasm?

No its not sarcasm. I will be using it dove hunting, if it rains I will try and remember to video it. You will be surprised, I know I am every time it rains.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
Your biggest challenge will be finding one. Cabelas has discontinued these fine tents since Ass Pro acquired and ruined the company altogether.
Reading this makes me glad I grabbed mine when I did. I have stayed in my buddies many time over the years. When BP bought Cabela's I told the wife I was burning my club points and getting one before they were discontinued. Glad I bet correctly.

I’ve owned a 6 man, and sold it to buy an 8 man. I’ve set the 6 man up solo, but only to make sure I could. It wasn’t easy. I’m kind of on the short side. I’d struggle with the 8 man solo. Spend 9 nights in it the past two seasons amd it’s super comfortable. It’s warm with a buddy Heater and the 8 man is comfortable for 3 guys and all our gear.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04