Cabelas Instinct 2p Tent review

So with my megatarp and stove out on loan to another member I took the opportunity to give this new cabelas tent a try. Its the instinct 2p, freestanding 4 season shelter. Initial impressions are that its a well made tent. The quality of the stitching is on par with big agnes and other higher end manufacturers. I've had decent luck with the majority of my cabelas gear that I've purchased over the years, from waterfowl waders to hunting boots etc. This tent comes with a full breathable material inner, with no see um mesh triangles at the top for venting and condensation issues. Its a front entry D shaped door with front vestibule. They also give you DAC Aluminium poles and DAC stakes with the tent. Where cabelas differs from most tent manufacturers is they also give you a footprint, and a gear loft and a seam sealer kit included in the 300$ price tag. Whats nice is you can leave the footprint attached and the gear loft as well when you take it down so it pitches very fast. Cabelas recommends seam sealing the flysheet where velcro or elastic parts are stitched, but 95% of the tent has taped seams. I'll get to test it this weekend in a rainstorm here in Idaho so I'll let you know exactly where it needs to be sealed.

I pitched the tent in my apartment to get a look at it, I'm a large guy, 6'4 about 265. I fit with about 10 inches of head room with my feet at the end. I wouldn't want to be in this tent if I were much taller. If you lay diagonally you get a few more inches of space. 2 normal sized guys could use this tent to sleep in but they couldn't store gear inside the tent. I see this tent as a palace for 1 guy or if you're close with your hunting buddy you could hunt two average guys out of it. Keep in mind this isn't with a taut pitch as I had nothing staked out. The tent design is an external pitch, like the hilleberg tents. You can pitch the instinct in the rain and snow and not worry about the inside of the tent getting wet. That was a big factor for me choosing this tent. Its a lower cost option for those of you wanting an external pitch, 4 season tent. I also decided to go with freestanding as well because I'd like to have access to my trekking poles while hunting or moving as I can cover much more ground in a safer fashion with the aid of poles. The tent comes in at 5lbs 12oz on my scale with everything in the package. Once you remove the seam sealer bottle and the stuff sacks for it it comes in at 4lb 12oz. That is a decent weight for a 4 season free standing tent. You could cut even more weigh by removing labels and warning, the tent comes with 14 stakes and you could swap them out for a lighter option. The tent also comes with reflective guy line on 4 corners, and you could definitely swap that out for some trip tease to make it lighter as well.

I'll get back to you guys with pictures of the tent and a performance summary on monday when I get back from the hills. Like I said I'll have rain and good wind to deal with so I'll be able to give you guys a good report on how it handles weather.

I'm interested to see the pictures and the review once back from the field. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

7stw

WKR
Good luck and looking forward to the review. I've has this tent added to my cart online just haven't pulled the trigger.

OP
ohhiitznik
So I got to try the tent in the field over the weekend. I must say the tent performed very well. I camped up high on an exposed ridge so I would put it to a real test of wind and weather. I purposely closed up all the vents on the inner to test the breathability of the fabric. I stayed on the tent from 830pm til 630am the next morning through 30 mph wind gusts and rain. It didn't rain the whole night but it was off and on in heavy bursts.
uploadfromtaptalk1411956193020.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411956205588.jpg
The tent held up to the intermittent storms and wind very well. I was actually surprised at how it weathered the wind. When I woke up I touched all the walls of the inner up and down and they were bone dry. I was very pleased through that wet weather with the wind that it was keeping me dry. I also noticed that the inner of the tent raised the ambient temperature. I didn't have a thermometer on me but you could tell the difference. I was stripping layers down to my merino top and just my exeficcio boxers to sleep in. I have a 30 degree quilt and I sleep on a thermarest closed cell pad. The lows were in the high 30s. So I was toasty in the tent.

I'm 6'4 about 265 and with me this is a solo shelter. You could fit two in a pinch but it'll be very friendly. If you're taller than 6'4 I'd suggest sleeping diagonally. Anybody under 6'4 can sleep however they wish.

The pros
The price -300$ for a 4 season 2 person tent with footprint and gear loft included can't be beat.
The ease and speed of pitch
Great room for a solo hunter
Breathable inner works as described
Enough room inside to sit up and store gear even for a large guy.
8 guy out lines can make it very weather capable.
Cabelas doesn't use metal tabs on the zippers, instead its cordage.
Heavy duty dac aluminium poles like other high end tent manufacturers.
External pitch! I can't emphasize this enough! You can keep the tent dry while you pitch the shelter. That's a huge plus
You can also remove the inner and just roll footprint flysheet for a lighter 3 season option

The cons
The vestibule is small, and it was difficult for me to get a taut pitch on it. This could be user error, but none the less you're only storing boots in the vestibule.
You'll need to replace the stakes that come with the tent for a more secure hold.
You'll want to replace the guy line which looks like reflective paracord with something lighter.
Under a decent snow load you may lose some vestibule space due to no pole extending over it.
4lbs 12 oz trail weight puts it on the higher end of what I'd like to carry but it is a 4 season shelter.

Summary: this is a great tent at a great price point. This tent I would have no issue taking on any hunts in the lower 48. Although I have a floorless shelter with a stove I can see myself taking this tent in any weather when I'd like to be more mobile and forego the stove option. For those of you looking at this tent you won't be disappointed. Quality is on par with big Agnes and other backpacking tent manufacturers. I'd even venture to say that it feels more durable and the stitching looks more robust than the big agnes copper spur and fly creek I was also looking at. I'm going to give it some more testing in the snow during rifle season here in idaho. Hopefully I can add to this review in a few weeks.

uploadfromtaptalk1411956722175.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411956731458.jpg

Last edited:

n2horns

WKR
Thanks for the review, I just started looking into a 4 season tent. With some points, this might be a nice pickup.

jtw

WKR
My current 4 season is 8 lbs with everything included. Ive wanted to buy a new one forever(mine is about 15 years old) but hard to just the price of a decent 4 season when I only use it a few times a year. Might look into this one though.

jwb300

WKR
Thanks for posting the review - very informative and looks to be a good option for those who don't use a 4 season tent regularly.