Cabelas Instinct Outfitter tent

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in Alaska. For my base camp tent I’ve been using the cabelas big horn. I really do like the tent, but it maybe just a little big. And I’ve always hated the stove jack location. It is in a corner so when winter camping the other side of the tent doesn’t get much of the heat. I always liked the caveats geodesic tents, but need stove capabilities. Does anyone have experience with the cabelas instinct outfitter tents? Pros/Cons?

I run the guide tent which is very similar, minus the stove jack. Its a bit of work to set up and takes as long as a wall tent, 20-30 minutes. They are a tough unit and make a nice tent. I just used my 6 man guide in just below freezing temps. I only heated it in the morning and night using a mr buddy heater. It heats up in minutes. Just a lantern keeps the chill off. The tent is big enough for 2 guys with cots and you can stand in the center of it. I think it may get messy inside with wood heat. Having a floor thats more or less waterproof, any snow tracked in will melt and pool on the floor. I enjoy mine and its a great addition/option to a wall tent.

OP
d_worno-1986

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I run the guide tent which is very similar, minus the stove jack. Its a bit of work to set up and takes as long as a wall tent, 20-30 minutes. They are a tough unit and make a nice tent. I just used my 6 man guide in just below freezing temps. I only heated it in the morning and night using a mr buddy heater. It heats up in minutes. Just a lantern keeps the chill off. The tent is big enough for 2 guys with cots and you can stand in the center of it. I think it may get messy inside with wood heat. Having a floor thats more or less waterproof, any snow tracked in will melt and pool on the floor. I enjoy mine and its a great addition/option to a wall tent.
Nice. Yeah I used to run the guide tent years ago. Always loved it and that’s what makes me want to go with the instinct outfitter. The big reason I don’t want to use the guide tent is being able to dry myself and stuff out. Buddy heaters actually produce condensation so I’ve never been able to dry out after hunting in a down pour

LaHunter

WKR
I've run the Cabela's Instinct Outfitter tent on two different hunts in WY (mid-late October for both), both hunts had really cold temps (< 20 F) and one hunt had over 12" of snow. The tent handles high wind and weather well, as long as you have it staked out well. You can run a small wood burning stove to heat it and it holds heat well. It does not 'breath' like a wall tent, however. The stove jack opening is nearly in the middle of the tent, so the stove location in nearly in the middle, which I personally find a negative. It just seems to be in the way, another reason a small stove is better vs a large stove. I have read that getting replacement poles for these tents can be difficult, as Cabela's doesn't offer replacements. You still lose a little usable floor space, even with the modified dome shape. My opinion, a wall tent with a comparable footprint is a better option for truck camping.

OP
d_worno-1986

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I’m 90% sure that they did. I think they are still making the larger 8 man. That place has gone to shot since bass pro bought them. It will probably be the same now that bass pro bought sportsman’s warehouse

Bacwest

FNG
I have the cabelas instict and have used for 3 week long trips now. Very happy with it but I recommend getting the roof protector for sparks, we made the mistake of running without it and got quite a few holes. We also added a Mr. Buddy for November hunts and it keeps the temp of tent at about 65 all night.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
d_worno-1986

d_worno-1986

Lil-Rokslider
I have the cabelas instict and have used for 3 week long trips now. Very happy with it but I recommend getting the roof protector for sparks, we made the mistake of running without it and got quite a few holes. We also added a Mr. Buddy for November hunts and it keeps the temp of tent at about 65 all night.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I agree. I got the protector for my big horn and still have a couple spark holes. But I also had an incident that melted a little bit of my protector in high winds. To correct that I used a little bit of wire around the stove pipe and then staked to the ground to anchor the stovepipe in place. Haven’t had a problem since