Cabelas Instinct Scout Tents - Too heavy? Better options?

SKYNET KC

FNG
Hey guys, first post here. New mountain hunter, just trying to get my gear in order.

I know in the mountains, weight is everything. I’m looking for a tent that would be a true 4 seasons tent for my wife and I, or a hunting partner.

I work at Cabela’s part time, so I get a pretty hefty discount on their gear. The Cabelas Instinct Scout 2 Man tent has my attention because it will only cost me about $150.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INSTINCT-PERSON-TENT/2437113.uts#!

The only “problem” I see is that it weighs in at 5 pounds 10 ounces for carry weight. Kinda heavy in regards to other backpacking tents.

Should I look elsewhere for something different? Thinking it’s a hard option to beat for my price.

Thanks,
Matt

Owenst7

WKR
Hey guys, first post here. New mountain hunter, just trying to get my gear in order.

I know in the mountains, weight is everything. I’m looking for a tent that would be a true 4 seasons tent for my wife and I, or a hunting partner.

I work at Cabela’s part time, so I get a pretty hefty discount on their gear. The Cabelas Instinct Scout 2 Man tent has my attention because it will only cost me about $150.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-INSTINCT-PERSON-TENT/2437113.uts#!

The only “problem” I see is that it weighs in at 5 pounds 10 ounces for carry weight. Kinda heavy in regards to other backpacking tents.

Should I look elsewhere for something different? Thinking it’s a hard option to beat for my price.

Thanks,
Matt

I would agree on that being hard to beat for $150.

The main complaint I would have for using it in bad weather is the lack of a sizeable vestibule. You might want to look at the weight of the 3 man version if it's not a giant penalty.

I typically use a 30 oz tarp setup, but occasionally use a similar tent to that one that weighs in around 6 lbs when the girlfriend is with me and we expect bad weather. The 2 man REI quarter dome weighs in right around there. We used one of those for part of our elk hunt last year. Split between two, 3 lbs isn't going to make or break anyone's backpacking trip. The heavier fabrics make for great tents for car camping, float trips, or loaning to friends if the day ever comes that you outgrow that shelter.

That tent wins a lot of points with me that you can pitch the fly and footprint before you get the tent out. Really nice to do that in a down pour, or if you just want to pitch it like a tarp for some shade and a breeze call still blow through it. Haven't seen a lot of affordable options with that feature.

The money you'd save would be much better applied to a backpack, sleeping bag, pad, optics, etc.

BigHink66

FNG
I just picked up that same tent yesterday. I haven’t even set it up yet. I got mine new off eBay for 185.

For the money, I don’t think you can go wrong. Yes it’s heavier, but as 4 seasons go it’s not that bad. I wanted a little more insurance for rifle season at 10k feet. So I accepted the weight penalty. The vestibule is small, but it will be a 1 man for me. That and I couldn’t afford a hilleberg.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
I've had this tent for two seasons now and it has been great. I'm pretty sure that the 5lbs 10oz weight that is advertised is the actual off the shelf weight with the seam seal kit, all the tags, guy lines and repair kit etc. I have found that in any weather that I have encountered the really beefy guy lines are overkill. I took those off initially and have not used them since. Do away with the line locks and learn how to tie a taught line hitch. The lack of vestibule space is a bit con for this tent but not unmanageable. The two layer four season construction seem to be up to par. I did a February trip with 50mph winds snow, rain and sub freezing nighttime temps and faired more than good. No draft in the wind and zero moisture through the fly or the floor. The roof vents and the way the fly ties out gives great ventilation and condensation control in all kinds of weather. The tent packs great with little fuss to get it back into the sack. The DAC poles have held up great with no issue.

With all that being said I picked this tent on sale at about the same price you are looking at. I believe it was 142.99 plus the tax, so it was a no brainer for me to be able to get into a tent of this grade for that price.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

OP
S

SKYNET KC

FNG
Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me confidence that this won't be a waste of money.

Now I need to figure out what sleeping bag to get. I've heard really good things about the cabelas insulated sleeping pad. But sleeping bags I don't know much about.

Owenst7

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. Gives me confidence that this won't be a waste of money.

Now I need to figure out what sleeping bag to get. I've heard really good things about the cabelas insulated sleeping pad. But sleeping bags I don't know much about.

The XPG bags look pretty decent if you get them at a similar discount. I'd loft out a 15° bag and measure how thick the top layer is and compare it to WMs bags. My guess is it's more honestly a 25° bag. The vertical baffles kind of suck because all the feathers under you are wasted by being crushed and offer no insulation.

The Kelty cosmic is a great bag in that price range, which also has horizontal baffles. The REI Igneo is a bit more and a great bag for it's price range also. After that I would just go for WM or one of the smaller companies like Nemo.

OP
S

SKYNET KC

FNG
The XPG bags look pretty decent if you get them at a similar discount. I'd loft out a 15° bag and measure how thick the top layer is and compare it to WMs bags. My guess is it's more honestly a 25° bag. The vertical baffles kind of suck because all the feathers under you are wasted by being crushed and offer no insulation.

The Kelty cosmic is a great bag in that price range, which also has horizontal baffles. The REI Igneo is a bit more and a great bag for it's price range also. After that I would just go for WM or one of the smaller companies like Nemo.

Turns out the 15° bag is being discontinued and is no longer available unless it's the "long" version, which I don't need at a whopping 5'6 on a good day. lol

It is a little heavier but I'm thinking the Cabela's Instinct™ Scout 0°F might be worth the upgrade. I'm guessing if it's too hot I can always just open the bag up a little bit?

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Turns out the 15° bag is being discontinued and is no longer available unless it's the "long" version, which I don't need at a whopping 5'6 on a good day. lol

It is a little heavier but I'm thinking the Cabela's Instinct Scout 0°F might be worth the upgrade. I'm guessing if it's too hot I can always just open the bag up a little bit?
I know that you are getting a sweet deal on the cabelas stuff and it seems to be pretty good too. I would think about the fact that their down bags don't pack hydrophobic down. I am running a Kelty cosmic down 20 degree over one of the comparable cabelas bags for that fact. If you are careful with a down bag it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not always that careful with and about a lot of things. Just something to think about.

Owenst7

WKR
I know that you are getting a sweet deal on the cabelas stuff and it seems to be pretty good too. I would think about the fact that their down bags don't pack hydrophobic down. I am running a Kelty cosmic down 20 degree over one of the comparable cabelas bags for that fact. If you are careful with a down bag it shouldn't be an issue, but I'm not always that careful with and about a lot of things. Just something to think about.

Western Mountaineering doesn't use hydrophobic down either, as their testing showed it to not be a very functional technology.

Sure makes it a lot harder to wash the feathers effectively to restore loft when you have to work so hard to saturate them. I hand wash my bags typically...getting regular feathers wet while inside a bag ain't all that easy.

Whitetoptom

Lil-Rokslider
Western Mountaineering doesn't use hydrophobic down either, as their testing showed it to not be a very functional technology.

Sure makes it a lot harder to wash the feathers effectively to restore loft when you have to work so hard to saturate them. I hand wash my bags typically...getting regular feathers wet while inside a bag ain't all that easy.
That's solid information and something I had wondered about while browsing the offerings from WM.

OP
S

SKYNET KC

FNG
Slight update.

Picked up this tent for $70.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-XPG-TREK-TENT/2482098.uts

Uses trekking poles instead of a traditional tent pole, but it's under 3.5 pounds for trail weight.

I think this would be an okay option for September Elk hunting, but I hadn't really considered using treking poles while hiking in.

This also creates the problem that I would have to break the tent down every morning if I wanted to take my trek poles with me on a stalk.

I guess I'd be okay using trekking poles on the initial hike in to set up camp, but walking around all the time and having poles in my hand instead of my bow seems kind of...weird.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Slight update.

Picked up this tent for $70.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-XPG-TREK-TENT/2482098.uts

Uses trekking poles instead of a traditional tent pole, but it's under 3.5 pounds for trail weight.

I think this would be an okay option for September Elk hunting, but I hadn't really considered using treking poles while hiking in.

This also creates the problem that I would have to break the tent down every morning if I wanted to take my trek poles with me on a stalk.

I guess I'd be okay using trekking poles on the initial hike in to set up camp, but walking around all the time and having poles in my hand instead of my bow seems kind of...weird.
You'll be thankful you have trekking poles after you use them. They are knee and back savers for sure. In a pinch you can use one pole to get the length right, and cut sticks on sight to use as tent poles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd rather forget my tent than my trekking poles.

OP
S

SKYNET KC

FNG
I'd rather forget my tent than my trekking poles.

You'll be thankful you have trekking poles after you use them. They are knee and back savers for sure. In a pinch you can use one pole to get the length right, and cut sticks on sight to use as tent poles.

Good point about the sticks. Not sure why I didn't think of that. Makes me more confident in my pick then, at least for an initial tent selection.

OP
S

SKYNET KC

FNG
So I think at least initially I'm going to be trying to go light and build my gear as I go.

Between my tent, sleeping bag and pad i'm looking at 6.56 pounds.

Tent - 3 pounds 6 oz
Bag - 2 pounds 1 oz
Pad - 1 pound 2 oz

Does this sound respectable?

Bulldawg

WKR
All I really know is an instinct tent isn’t grizzly proof

b380f32170f294fe6c20fa25d3655d88.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRWNBR

WKR
I have the scout three man. Warmest tent I’ve ever used for the size. Easy set up. Like stupid easy.
Downside. The door opens over the inside of the tent. Rain comes in and the fly door drips into the tent. That’s a major fail. The tent fly is fragile and ripped big time when I stood on a corner. That being said. I fixed the rip and still use it.