Cabelas Krotos Spotting Scope?

Stwrt9

WKR
Has anyone ever tried or have any information on the Cabelas Krotos Spotting Scopes? I have some points and gift cards to burn and thought it would be a decent starter spotter or should i just hold off and continue to save. the 15-45x65 looks like it could be decent for the price and weight.

My little brother runs one and it's an awesome little scope! Looking through it it's up to par with the razor line and the meopta meostar glass

ianpadron

WKR
My little brother runs one and it's an awesome little scope! Looking through it it's up to par with the razor line and the meopta meostar glass
Any idea who makes the glass???

I've heard a variety of answers but all reviews are similar to your brother's, people love those spotters!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I walked in ready to buy Zeiss 10x42's and walked out with the Krotos 20-60x86 and am glad I did. For my purposes was what I needed rather than another pair of binoculars.

Don't know who makes the glass but am curious as well.

ianpadron

WKR
Just did a lil research.

Looks like Athlon makes the Krotos for Cabelas.

Same as their Ares spotting scopes, just rebranded.

Idk if that helps because no one seems to know anything about Athlon either haha.

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I've heard both Athlon and vortex. It looks more like the Athlon but the Athlon Ares looks cheaper so who knows.

ianpadron

WKR
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I've heard both Athlon and vortex. It looks more like the Athlon but the Athlon Ares looks cheaper so who knows.
Vortex makes the Intrepid spotters with the Viper HD glass.

Krotos is for sure Athlon, you should buy one and test it out for us haha

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
I'm really curious about these too. Might have to drive down to the local store and look through one.

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
Well i bit the bullet and picked up the Cabelas Krotos Spotter in 65mm. I got it a a price i couldn't refuse esp being brand new and while i know some will say you only get what you pay for, but from what i can see so far, i really hope so. I've only really got this out to check it out and see what its all about and i have to say so far i'm really impressed! I'll give it some time and put some time behind it to really get a good gauge of what it's limits are. stay tuned i'll try and give it a thorough review.
Josh

Capt Jims

FNG
I just looked through the Anthlon Ares

Just did a lil research.

Idk if that helps because no one seems to know anything about Athlon either haha.

I had the chance to look through the Ares 20x60x85 and the '15 Vortex Razor 20x60x85 on Tuesday last week. I have to say, the Anthlon was clearer and focused easier in mid day light. It was as in my opinion well built as the Vortex, and I am a dedicated Votex guy, with everything I own optics wise Vortex except my range finder. I asked in another thread about the Maven vs the Anthlon. I am going to buy an 85mm spotter this week, it really is down to the Anthlon or Maven if someone can tell me anything about them. I have looked through the Maven at the RMEF Hunters Christmas here in Vegas last December and now through the Anthlon here this past week.

ianpadron

WKR
I had the chance to look through the Ares 20x60x85 and the '15 Vortex Razor 20x60x85 on Tuesday last week. I have to say, the Anthlon was clearer and focused easier in mid day light. It was as in my opinion well built as the Vortex, and I am a dedicated Votex guy, with everything I own optics wise Vortex except my range finder. I asked in another thread about the Maven vs the Anthlon. I am going to buy an 85mm spotter this week, it really is down to the Anthlon or Maven if someone can tell me anything about them. I have looked through the Maven at the RMEF Hunters Christmas here in Vegas last December and now through the Anthlon here this past week.
Buy em both and tell us how they compare! Both have awesome return policies.

Does anyone have any updated info on these scopes? They have a good sale and with my points i feel like it could be a steal.

OP
Stwrt9

Stwrt9

WKR
I havent really had the chance to really put mine through its paces. My initial thought is i am super happy with my purchase as i was looking for a better quality buget spotter. It is very well built and functions nicely. I got the 65 and it is pretty compact and will be nice for packing. It seems to be really clear and easy to use, i would say its a well above average spotter for the price and category its in price wise.

ianpadron

WKR
I had the chance to compare both, outside Cabelas for about 45minutes, side by side as it was getting dark.

I thought the Razor was better and to my eyes it wasn't even close.

The FOV and color of the Krotos were the two things I didn't like. I also found the Razor to be clearer throughout it's zoom range.

I went with the intent of buying the Krotos because of that sale, and did not pull the trigger.

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I did a review on the krotos a few months ago on longrangehunting.com. yu could probably search and find it. I'm still very impressed with mine. It's the 65mm

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just did a lil research.

I don't think Athlon makes their own scopes. It appears to me that they come from the same factory in China. From what I can see they both appear to be versions of the Bosma 203507.

I have one of the 65MM Cabela's Krotos versions. It's a great scope in it's price range. Good solid mechanism, nice glass (mine has HD glass), but it's a long way from the top tier glass of the best makers. I like it because it's a good size to pack and it does a great job on the range. I would compare it in quality to the Vortex Viper line.

Paulyester

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one a week ago and am very impressed with it. I had a Vortex Diamondback and there really is no comparison between the two. That being said, I'm probably going to sell it so let me know if you're looking for one. In the 4 years I've been hunting elk in Oregon, there never has been a time where I thought, gee, I wish I had brought my spotter along. I just couldn't resist the price they were at a few weeks ago. But again, I'm very impressed with the clarity and compactness of it.