Cabela's latest microtex

Will_m

WKR
Anybody tried their latest iteration of this? I was a big fan of some of the earlier, heavier stuff, but quality and construction seemed to vary significantly after that. I also know there was one version that did not even have buttons on the back pockets.

Looks like this version is trying to jump on the "technical" bandwagon. I don't have a nearby Cabelas to check them out, so I figured this place would be the next best thing.

Beendare

WKR
My take; Any of those Gore Tex with a soft outer layer type fabrics will have problems with wetting out and leaking.

This is consistent across many product lines that I've seen. Sure there is stuff you can do to help mitigate this problem with heavy DWR finishes, etc....but it seems this issue always rears its ugly head on ALL of this type of gear I've seen. I'ver seen many failures with the Rivers West, the cheap Bass Pro stuff and Gore Tex stuff- a waste of $$ IMO. Some of these will be fine if you are in a couple hours of rain...but in day after day wet- they fail.

The Rain Gear I have personally seen work well [hundreds of hunts in the rain] is the KUIU stuff, eVent, PreCip by Marmot and the Helly Hansen stuff.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My take; Any of those Gore Tex with a soft outer layer type fabrics will have problems with wetting out and leaking.

Microtex doesn't have Goretex.

I bought 3 pair of their newer Microtex pants thinking worst case scenario I could just cut one pair up and sew an extra 5-6" onto the bottoms of the other two pair so they'd be long enough. However, when they showed up they fit like the rest of the newer stuff out there.........like skinny jeans look like they fit. About 3" short in the rise and TIGHT.

LostArra

WKR
Microtex doesn't have Goretex.

I bought 3 pair of their newer Microtex pants thinking worst case scenario I could just cut one pair up and sew an extra 5-6" onto the bottoms of the other two pair so they'd be long enough. However, when they showed up they fit like the rest of the newer stuff out there.........like skinny jeans look like they fit. About 3" short in the rise and TIGHT.

Thank you for the heads up on the skinny jean fit. Terrible news.
I've been using some very old but good fitting Microtex, both the regular and lite versions. You can almost see thru the Lite pants now but great fit and great pockets.

Wow, sounds like the fit has really changed. When I bought a pair of microtex pants, maybe ten years ago, they were very baggy

FLAK

WKR
I have a fair amount of the old stuff. Never wears out, the more you wear it, the better it gets.
I have been Jonesin on some of that new stuff in new patterns.
Love me some Microtek.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using some very old but good fitting Microtex, both the regular and lite versions. You can almost see thru the Lite pants now but great fit and great pockets.

Ya, I love my Microtex and Microtex Lite........especially since it used to come unhemmed at 37" inseam. Fits great and the material is awesome. I still haven't found anything I like even remotely close to that material, especially the Lite for archery elk in the heat.

LaGriz

WKR
+1 on the Microtext,
The last set I bought was around 2012. It was in Mossy Oak Tree stand and fit me very well. The shirt had features that allowed freedom of movement, decent ventilation, and seemed to ware pretty well. Have an older version in Predator Fall Gray (favorite pattern) but was of a heavier material that is less breathable. I find they favor the "Whitetail Hunter" darker patterns in there product line. Would prefer a lighter more "Western Terrain" style pattern. Am I the only one who misses the option of a button-down shirt with long tails to be tucked in? When it comes to a shirt I miss the those chest pockets and don't really like a pullover unless its a mid-layer. Usually layer a Marino Wool undershirt, button-down shirt, followed by a fleece pullover if its cool. Sometimes utilize a Wool-Mate vest over the pullover or the shirt. I adjust this depending on my activity level and the changing temperature. Also wish they would continue to offer the same patterns for a longer period of time, instead of introducing a new pattern every other year. My Microtex Camo fetish is mostly limited to archery seasons. During late season rifle hunts, I'm fine in solid colors (usually wool) as you may be required to where hunter orange any way. In this scenario I prefer a Camo Orange Vest to a solid color given a choice.

LaGriz

sivart

WKR
Same here. I've used the old school microtex for years, and finally wore it out. Ordered a new pair and sent it back immediately. Fit sucked, and more importantly, they tried sewing half assed knee pads in the interior. The seam rubbed against my thigh just walking around in my living room.

I'll just bit the bullet and get another pair of attack pants.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Am I the only one who misses the option of a button-down shirt with long tails to be tucked in? When it comes to a shirt I miss the those chest pockets and don't really like a pullover unless its a mid-layer.

I think I have 5 of those shirts between Lite and regular and those are the only shirts I use as far as camo goes for bowhunting. The chest pocket is where I keep my RF for easy access with the strap around my neck so I can just let it down if need be. The best part is that I paid $20/ea for the shirts and pants.

Long live the microtex!!!

I’ve got a couple pairs of pants. As others have said, great stuff, but the newer versions have lost me.

jaximus

FNG
really sad to hear that the newest release is no good. i have a decent stockpile in outfitter camo and O2 octane of the pre bass pro stuff (no spandex in the fabric) and love it. really bummed that the outfitter pattern is all but phased out. my favorite pattern and that material was incredible.

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
As an aside, if anyone has microtex purchased in 2008-2009, I will gladly take it off your hands. I bought a shirt and pair of pants, and while the pants have worn thin, the shirt is still going strong. I spend a lot of time in that shirt, and for it to last that long is saying a lot, almost too much to believe.

Most of this new "technical" gear is good for a year maybe before its toast. Plus the cost is outrageous. I mean, you are wearing upwards of $1000.00 in clothes. CLOTHES!