Cabelas meat grinders

I’m looking at these two meat grinders at cabelas. One of them is 400w for 130$. The other is a 1/2 HP for 400$. A horsepower is 746W so it appears to me the cheaper grinder has a stronger motor. Can anyone shed some light on the comparison between these two? Is it just that the 1/2 HP one is beefier and built more robustly?

400w grinder
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-heavy-duty-meat-grinder

1/2 HP grinder
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1-2hp-carnivore-meat-grinder

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Check out Weston grinders. they are on sale right now. Kind of makes me wish I need one.

I just ordered a lem from lem for under $400 with a foot pedal. #8 big bite.

Judging the links you provided, the 1/2 horse is quite a bit bigger machine. I wouldn’t opt for one smaller.

Azone

WKR
Buy the 1/2 horse. I had one similar to the 400w years ago and it was the biggest POS I ever purchased from Cabelas. Wouldn’t grind worth a damn and it was so loud I needed ear plugs to use it. Oh and the plastic gears in side were all chewed up within about 20 pounds of meat. A couple friends have had commercial series grinders from them for years and seem to have no complaints. Your money, your choice.
You’d be better off buying the kitchen aid mixer attachment than the 400w model from my experience with both.

I have a Cabelas Carnivore 1hp that is pre BPS buyout. It’s an animal and will grind everything I ask it too in just a few minutes. There is night and day difference between a inexpensive grinder and the bigger ( .5 hp and up). The smaller grinders are frustrating and a lot of the times will only last a couple of years. Waltons has their Black Friday sale right now. Their #22 is priced at 499 right now. It may be more than you were wanting to spend, but take it from experience, you’ll end up wishing you went with the bigger model.

elkguide

WKR
Check out the MEAT grinders @meatyourmaker.com. Great products and on sale right now.
I always opt for the next size bigger than you think that you'll need. I use the 1 horse model (on sale for $374.99) and could have easily gotten away with a 1/2 horse, but man is it fast!

Check out the MEAT grinders @meatyourmaker.com. Great products and on sale right now.
I always opt for the next size bigger than you think that you'll need. I use the 1 horse model (on sale for $374.99) and could have easily gotten away with a 1/2 horse, but man is it fast!
That’s a smokin deal on that 1hp!

I have a Cabelas Carnivore 1hp that is pre BPS buyout. It’s an animal and will grind everything I ask it too in just a few minutes. There is night and day difference between a inexpensive grinder and the bigger ( .5 hp and up). The smaller grinders are frustrating and a lot of the times will only last a couple of years. Waltons has their Black Friday sale right now. Their #22 is priced at 499 right now. It may be more than you were wanting to spend, but take it from experience, you’ll end up wishing you went with the bigger model.

I have the same grinder and it is a beast. It will grind as fast as I can feed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got the 3/4 hp carnivore, get the biggest one you can afford, nothing sucks like dealing with a grinder that performs poorly

Always go bigger with a grinder if you can. You will wish you had in the long run. Walton’s, Weston, Biro, Butcherboy, Bizerba, Ultrasource, etc. so many good companies that make table top and even some versions on wheels.

spaniel

FNG
Go with the bigger one. Neck size is important. The smaller grinder you will have to pre cut the meat smalll and it SUCKS. I had the older version of the small one, I had to pre-cube to 1-1.5" and it sucked. The bigger commercial version I can pre-cut an entire buck in about 10min.

Given the alternative to a grinder is to pay someone...given current rates to process a deer....a good grinder pays for itself in just a few animals.

hunterjmj

WKR
The small 400watt grinders are soooo loud. I had a small Westin for years and I had to wear ear plugs. I have a .75 MEAT now, it's fast, quiet and heavy duty.

Given the expected use as well as future use one might desire, buy the biggest you are willing to afford.

I got a Weston Pro #22 since I had the idea to grind up fresh food for my dogs. I sifted through reviews and videos to settle on the Pro #22. This thing just chews thru just about anything you put into the chute. It takes me longer to clean it than to do most of my grinding work. Once we started using it for grinding beef my wife will no longer buy "store ground" or prepared ground beef.

Yes, it's not cheap but it's built tough. Given the possibilities of meat in the freezer the Pro#22 grinder will not blink an eye to a full counter top of meat ready for processing.

jbaker

FNG
Whatever one you get pay the extra $50 for the foot pedal. It is well worth the money!

I have a larger Cabela's carnivore and it's been a beast for a few years now. Took us less 20 minutes to grind 50 lbs a few nights ago
8e89cb77ec712e6769ec0aff8aff90df.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Whatever one you get pay the extra $50 for the foot pedal. It is well worth the money!

I have a larger Cabela's carnivore and it's been a beast for a few years now. Took us less 20 minutes to grind 50 lbs a few nights ago
8e89cb77ec712e6769ec0aff8aff90df.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

What’s your secret for getting to grind so consistently? I’ve tried (3) different size plates and it always come out mushy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What’s your secret for getting to grind so consistently? I’ve tried (3) different size plates and it always come out mushy.

Keep the meat cold. A lot of times, mine is still partially froze. I don’t have any problem with the first run getting mushy, but once in a while my sausage mix will start to get mushy. I usually put it back in the freezer for a couple of hours and let it firm back up.

S-3 ranch

WKR

Ice cold meat
Plate Hole Size Suggested use
1/8"Fine grind - Bologna, Franks, Force meats, Hamburger & Beef Jerky
3/16"Medium grind - Breakfast Sausage, Hamburger, Polish & Italian Sausage
1/4" & 5/16"Coarse grind - Hamburger, Salami, Summer Sausage, Pepperoni & Bratwurst
3/8"Coarse grind - First grind, Chili meat & Chorizo
1/2"Very Coarse - First grind, Chili meat, Stew meat & Vegetables
3/4"Very Coarse - First grind or Chunking meat