Cabela's "Upgrade My Gear" Promotion?

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
This morning I was surprised to see UPS deliver a vestibule for my Cabela's Alaknak tent. Because I didn't order it, I thought, "Hmm, late Father's Day gift. My wife sure loves me," and hauled it inside. An hour later my wife yells across the house, "You seriously bought more camping stuff?" I say, "Huh? I didn't buy that. I thought you bought it for me."

In the packing slip I find a receipt listing the price as "$0.00" and "complimentary," along with a letter informing me that "Cabela's pro staff decided to upgrade your gear." I haven't opened the box yet, because I'm not sure whether I just got really lucky, or one of my hunting buddies sent me an Alaknak vestibule box full of dog manure (or worse).

Has anyone heard of Cabela's doing something like this? I can't find anything on the web, and am scratching my head wondering what just happened.

IMG_3902.jpg

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
This sounds like an (EXO everyone gets a new frame) type thing...
Seems possible, though odd, that Cabela's would give out for free what it's selling on its site for a few hundred bucks. (Note I've never purchased the vestibule, only the tent.)

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing about your tent or the vestibule that goes with it, but maybe they’re trying to manage inventory and disguise it as a promotional giveaway. If the vestibules ONLY go with those tents, and their inventory and sales numbers suggest they’re going to be sitting on a mountain of unwanted vestibules after they’ve sold all of their tents, the only thing to do is throw them away, or give them away to customers who bought the tents and disguise it as a kind gesture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing about your tent or the vestibule that goes with it, but maybe they’re trying to manage inventory and disguise it as a promotional giveaway. If the vestibules ONLY go with those tents, and their inventory and sales numbers suggest they’re going to be sitting on a mountain of unwanted vestibules after they’ve sold all of their tents, the only thing to do is throw them away, or give them away to customers who bought the tents and disguise it as a kind gesture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would make sense from a business perspective. You've probably given me enough confidence to open it without worrying what might be inside.

street

WKR
Sure seems like cabelas is going under in the near future. Any thoughts if that would be a good or bad thing for hunting overall?

isu22andy

WKR
I had something similar happen. I signed up for a Scheels credit card used it on a big purchase paid it and never used it again. Got caught in a bind ( lost other card ) paid with my scheels and paid it off. Scheels sent me 25 dollar giftcard for using it my card once again . I havnet even come close to 25 dollars worth of points.

Back in the old days a buddy of mine went to buy a ladder stand at the store because it was on sale. After a hour wait the sales person came out and said the computer said we have 10 of them but we can't find any right now. So the sales person took down his address and said he would ship for free. 5 days later he got 2 ladder stand delivered on the front porch. But that was the old days.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
I finally got the courage to open the box, and turns out it's the real deal. I think Low_Sky's hypothesis explains it. I see these tents every fall, but never with the vestibule. Cabela's likely overproduced the vestibules, is phasing out the tent, and offloading (to my pleasure) the excess under the guise of prostaff upgrades, whatever that means.

OP
wyojdubya

wyojdubya

Lil-Rokslider
Retailers sending you free shit gratis, wife yelling at you?

Maybe just lay off the credit card for a few days.

View attachment 194230
Under normal circumstance, yeah, pretty much. But not when the package on my doorstep has this in the packing slip. Gratis is about the only way this item would've ended up in my possession anyhow. The new duck gun on the other hand...

Attachments

• IMG_3900.jpg
    IMG_3900.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 56