Cabelas Viper HD 10X42 Black Friday Sale

Birddog1

FNG
I do wonder if they have two models and it’s just luckof the draw. I hope you have the same luck I had. Let us know when they arrive.

Firehawk

WKR
All your guys' talk helped me pull the trigger on a pair of 8x42 Vipers for sale in the local classifieds. I picked them up for $225. I did have to have him ship them to me, so I won't see them until Friday, but I will report on the differences in the 8x42 Viper HD and 8x42 C1 after a little time with them. Like I have said, always felt the Vipers represented a good value and a level of optics one could use for a long time. For me, they will be a back up to my Swarovski EL 8.5x42 and I am excited to play with them. I will have to get the Mavens away from my son this weekend too.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a pair from the Cabelas in Kearney, NE tonight. They had a display with these on it, the tag had them labeled gen 1 viper HD's. All the boxes were the same, all marked with the 341' FOV, and when I opened them mine have "assembled in Phillipines" next to the serial number, both the same as in the other pictures posted. They were all labeled model VPR-4210-HD.

These were the only viper HD's they had in the store, they didn't have any gen 2's to compare to. The grip on mine protrude out as the gen 1 did, rather than having the grip lines "cut in" like the gen 2's have. They have a nylon case with a single strap rather than the glasspak the gen 2's come with as well.

Part of me feels like I got a great deal, and this will certainly be an upgrade from my 10x42 crossfires, but the other part of me wonders what is different about this run compared to the gen 2's.

Here's the clip from the email I got from Vortex last December. Looks like the only ones made in Philippines are the current Gen V. I would be surprised if they would produce the older version in the factory producing the current Gen V considering last year's older Gen III were made in the same China factory the Gen III originally had been made in.

Here's the Viper binocular product history:

Gen I: Viper non-HD made in Japan (2007's Field & Stream 'Best of Best' winner).
Gen II: Viper HD made in Japan.
Gen III: Viper HD made in China (also the 2020 special for $299.99)
Gen IV: Viper HD made in China (around 2018).
Gen V: Viper HD made in the Philippines (current product).

You guys that have received the new product you bought on sale, what does the manual inside the box say? Theoretically they could put the older generation spec binocs, even if produced in the Philippines, in the current generation box. I know, looking for hairs to split, but it is an interesting fact chase going on.

Last edited:
Optically with respect to glass, Vortex said there's no difference between the China made Viper units and the current Phillipino units. The specs that changed are in the area of close focus not being as "close" on the current ones but the field of view being bigger on the current ones.

I compared my Gen 3 China 10x42 Vipers to my buddies pair of 10x50 Diamondbacks this year in the field. Diamondbacks have a noticeable bit of chromatic aberration especially in the middle of the day and clarity was not as good, again pretty easy to notice. No comparison between the two, Vipers win hands down. The Crossfire is a notch below the Diamondback so I think you're going to be really pleased!

Birddog1

FNG
I sat outside with the Vipers this morning just after sunrise. It’s dark and dreary here today with rain forecast. For whatever reason I just can’t get the Vipers dialed in. I wear progressive bifocals and getting the diopter set on these has been challenging. While the price is good I’m not sure I’m going to keep them. I’ll give it some more time but right now the Leupold BX-4 are much better for me.

Definitely, that's something that hasn't been discussed much, the binoculars have to ergonomically work for them to be enjoyable and functional.

That's the main reason that while I like the 10x42 Vipers, the 12x50's are much better fitting in my hands and the additional ~4 oz of weight makes them more steady. Carrying them with a bino harness, to me there's no difference with respect to the weight during the hunt.

With that being said, could you draw any comparison optically between them?

Birddog1

FNG
I just got back from a local park with both pairs. Optically the Leupold are much better to my eyes. Edge to edge clarity is better, actually all images seem much clearer. The Vipers started to give me a headache. It’s such a big difference that I just packaged up the Vipers to return them. And I really wanted to like them at this price.

ZackP

WKR
Maven C1’s went on sale today for $262 only in 10x42.

Maven also stacks your MIL/LE discount on top of that, if anyone here is using it. I don’t even want to share how much I paid for them shipped 😆

rj2

WKR
You can get the viper HD cabelas/bass pro deal for under $200 with Raise gift cards and Rakuten cash back if you are new to Rakuten. Rakuten has an extra $40 cash back sign up bonus right now and 15% cash back at cabelas and bass pro so it makes the viper HD $195, $185 if you get the $10 off for signing up for cabelas email.

Here is a rakuten link for the extra $40 cash back https://www.rakuten.com/r/RYANJO288?eeid=28187

I didn't bite on the binos but just got a Benchmade Steep Country for $43! Still might have my girlfriend sign up and get the binos.

ZackP

WKR
You can get the viper HD cabelas/bass pro deal for under $200 with Raise gift cards and Rakuten cash back if you are new to Rakuten. Rakuten has an extra $40 cash back sign up bonus right now and 15% cash back at cabelas and bass pro so it makes the viper HD $195, $185 if you get the $10 off for signing up for cabelas email.

Here is a rakuten link for the extra $40 cash back https://www.rakuten.com/r/RYANJO288?eeid=28187

I didn't bite on the binos but just got a Benchmade Steep Country for $43! Still might have my girlfriend sign up and get the binos.

Damn! Thanks for sharing that. I’m sure the few that already ordered may curse you a little bit! Lol

Reactions: rj2
I just dug out the box my sale binoculars (made in China, 319' fov as per Vortex) came in last November 2020. The box reads 341' field of view on the side, just like the box that was pictured in this thread earlier. Vortex says it's 319' fov , the box says it's 341' fov.

They are using the previous generation spec binoculars for the sale (only because I asked the company directly) however putting them in boxes that advertise otherwise is sloppy.

Legitimately, people could be getting previous Gen binocs, under the impression they are getting current generation binoculars when they are regular price based on what the box says.

Looking forward to comparing the second sale pair I just ordered with the sale pair from a year ago and determine if the field of view is different between them.

JGRaider

WKR
FOV is easy to check, and I always do so anyway. I simply lay out a tape measure, step back 10 yds, view the tape, and do the math and see if it matches the advertised FOV. My Toric 8x42's were wider than advertised.

ppt2211

FNG
Basspro always put the last gen viper on sale as if they are current gen. I could notice a difference in clarity between the two. The last gen viper's clarity is just somewhere comparable with the current gen diamondback hd.

You can also tell whether it's the last gen Bino from the Bino harness in the box. The last gen Viper has a black Bino case and the current gen has a glasspak Bino harness.

Have to disagree (!) on the last gen Viper HD being only as good as the current gen Diamondback HD.

Used my last gen Viper HD's and current generation Diamondback HD in the field 3 weeks ago for an extended period and there's no comparison. Diamondback isn't even close...

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I got mine yesterday- 341 FOV and made in phillipeans….Toss up optically between these and Burris Sig HDs

The made in China pair last year came in a box that said 341' fov.

When my pair shows up I'm going to check the field of view to see if it is the current model. Not relying on specs which seem to be thrown about freely and easily by Bass Pro.